1964 Chevy - Pinner is saved!

Dwayne, Gutsy choice on the wheels. In my minds eye I don't see it, but you nailed wheel choice on the the 51', I am a cragar SS person myself, Miamitown looks great, with the wheel choice, I am amazed how well they work. I would of been reluctant to have tried that wheel choice personally, but no guts no glory, Bravo! on that love connection. Bottom line is I think because you are keeping to vintage wheel choice to match the vintage of the vehicles they look right. With the exeption of course that in 51 you couldn't get Cragars. Your 69 wagon looked exceptionally nice, and exceptionally doesn't do justice to describe it. I have a 1990 Buick Century Limted 9 person wagon currently that I bought from the original owner in 1999 and it is lethally beautiful. I mean that when I drive it people get to staring at it while they are driving along side me gawking and they slowly creep into my lane squeezing me off to the shoulder. Unusual phenomenon but it happens to everyone I am sure. The paint finish on the Buick is literally blinding (Zymol) is my trade secret. Wish I could start posting pictures, but my extra cash has dried up for now to even be able to be a site supporter and post pics. Our priority this last year since we got the 69 Cad Royale was, to quickly whip it into shape so it would yield the highest appraisal we could squeeze out of it, so thats the last item that was done for the season besides having some flex stainless steel gas filler pipe installed to replace the rubber hose and elbows that used to do the job. The old rubber hose collapsed internally. Hope to earn your friendship in the future, and I would appreciate you being on my friends list some day, along with ED, Sara, Paul, Mike, and a few other folks that I enjoy reading posts from. By the way, great post on casket bylaws. I would like to create discussion someday on people pinching our pictures from our posts to do calendars and such. I want to know the pics I take and share with the Society aren't being stolen for some one else's profit. Finally.........God Bless your azz for having the gift of being so articulate in speaking your mind and not offending anyone in your posts. LATER!! "CUDA MIKE" Mykulak P.S. Recently found Ed's email address and started sending pictures to him, sorry for not asking your permission first, but Ed, YOU ROCK!! I admire the magic you perform on the coach's that I have seen you working on so far. Coach's in ruff shape don't seem to intimidate you. I want to follow your posts for sure, to see what kind of hand full you get to fix. I would be honored to be on your friends list someday. If anyone is interested until I am up and running on posting pics drop me a line and all I ask is don't share my address without my permission. Tony, Doug, thanks for the kind gesture of signing on to my friends list! If folks on my friends list send me an email I will be sharing with you an exclusive picture of our 1969 Cadillac Royale to you as a gesture of my apprciation for befriending Dawn and myself. (Just celebrated 30th anniver) Thank You! This picture inspired by Sarah Snook per her comment on how she loves to see coach's other than black coming on line to the society.

SHOULD I PUT THE PUSH BAR BACK ON?
Nah! This looks much better! One afternoon's work installing the grill, filler panel, hood trim, & front bumper. Chased ALL the threads on everything with taps & dies for ease of final assembly later. Made this mock-up go much smoother as well.
After showing the Pinner to Todd & my paint guy yesterday (& their teasing about the "Dukes of Hazzard" look) the push bar had to go. Now it's looking more & more like a '64 Chevy instead of a demo-derby contender...

IMG_0955.jpg

IMG_0953.jpg

IMG_0954.jpg

Landed an engine...

Thank you Craigslist!!! Found a guy willing to trade off his freshly rebuilt 350 Chevy engine. No cash involved, traded off an engagement ring i'd bought the ex-girlfriend even up... man is this engine nice & already detailed out. Will tear down the top end & install a more agressive cam & check it over good, but this saves a LOT of time & cash!
Looks like the Pinner just may even be driveable for the International (It won't be pretty, but it'll run & move under it's own power... I hope) sure was nice to trade off a bad memory for a new engine. The engine is home now & on a stand, pix to follow tonight after work.
:rofl:

Here's a shot of the engine. It'll look totally different once in the car, there's several things that I want to change. The aluminum intake is a Weiand, but it's a spread-bore so it'll have to go. Adapter plates are a mistake for sure. The Carter AFB carb will do fine on the right intake. More updates to follow on the engine once it's blown apart & assembled the way I want it to be. Still very pleased with this deal & it'll do just fine in the Pinner... now where did I stash all the Chevy goodies?!?!

IMG_0974.jpg

The Pinner has an engine/transmission...

This has been my Thanksgiving goal. "Black Friday" was spent painting the frame & firewall BLACK (appropriate name huh!?) sanded the frame, suspension, & firewall smooth & got it all painted with gloss black enamel. Saturday I prepped the Powerglide with new seals & tranny mount. It was a 2 day ordeal getting new motor mounts, ordered 3 sets before they got it right! Don't ever let the parts store tell you "They're all the same" there were 3 different widths of motor mounts & the '64 takes the widest ones (I even had a sample mount) but they kept screwing it up.
Anyway, finally got the right parts. Pulled the intake & valve covers. Installed a 2500 stall converter in the Powerglide, bolted up the tranny to the engine, installed the rear crossmember, & went for it. Took the hood off & in she went!
After getting the mount bolts all in I mocked it up with my favorite B&M valve covers (saved from an Anglia project years ago), new "Street Fighter" intake, the Carter AFB carb, & block-hugger headers. Was too tired to post the update last night, went to bed... so here ya go TAA DAA!!!

IMG_0982.jpg

IMG_0981.jpg

IMG_0979.jpg

IMG_0983.jpg

Don't laugh at my shop light (hung a 4' flourescent light from the hood to see better) works well for seeing the entire engine bay.

Dwayne, The Chevy is looking better w/ each post. Looks like it got saved by the right guy!!
P.S. You are not alone on the innovative shop light dept - done that myself :lightbulb::lightbulb::lightbulb::lightbulb:

now if the fel-pro guys can only get some orange gaskets. they must be ford people. it's the only color that dosen't clash. how are the high stall torque converters for normal driving? I have never messed with them. the old power glide were so low then jumped to direct is was like shutting the car off when they shifted any way. you really notice then in the hills. but getting the car to move under it's own power is a big step. keep at it

Joe you may be able to see some broken glass on the floor... broke a bulb when I stood up into it! The crossmember made a good seat when prepping the engine bay. It may not look like much yet, but it was a lot of progress for 2 days work. Taking a break from it today & taking my daughter shopping. Next step is beginning to hook everything up & keep rolling with this. The inner fenders need blasted & painted but i'll wait to install them after the engine is all hooked up. Driver's side header hits the engine mount a little so have to create some clearance there too.
Maybe get some underside work done next... rebuild the driveshaft, install a starter, bolt up the torque converter, & find/install the shifter linkage. Sure hope this Powerglide is good... supposedly is a fresh rebuild. All the new chrome is supposed to be in for the body by Christmas except the "eyebrow trim" around the headlights. There's only 1 place licensed to make them... and they broke their die!!! They have to make new ones, send them to GM for fitment/approval, and then fill backorders.
Not that the body chrome matters now anyway, it's a long way from paint! I'm having so much fun with this, it definitely deserves a good restoration & I like it more every day when the lights are turned on & there she sits... waiting for attention. More updates soon!

now if the fel-pro guys can only get some orange gaskets. they must be ford people. it's the only color that dosen't clash. how are the high stall torque converters for normal driving? I have never messed with them. the old power glide were so low then jumped to direct is was like shutting the car off when they shifted any way. you really notice then in the hills. but getting the car to move under it's own power is a big step. keep at it

Ed, this 2500 stall will be fine for normal driving. I did this since it has a mildly aggressive cam & at idle it'll lope & lunge at a traffic light. The stall will compensate for this. The only time a mild stall like this would be noticed is if you "brake-jack" it it'll give more RPM's off the line. Powerglides are notorious for being sluggish anyway so this will due for now for normal driving. A later project may be a 350 turbo tranny, as a Powerglide isn't my preference but it came with the car (and the stall was already under the workbench) so i'll go with as much original stuff as I can.
Yeah the Fel-Pro gaskets are quite a sight on an orange engine! The oil pan is new & that gasket is one of those 1 piece ones that really seal up well. The new intake has 3 water ports so i'll block off two (until a new heater core is bought) and use the 3rd for a temperature gauge. Like you said "Keep at it" I want this one to be worthy of looking at for the International meet. The exhaust shop is 4 blocks away so once it's running it'll make quite a racket on that trip to get some pipes!

Dwayne what did you do with the finned valve covers, they would be era correct aftermarket speed equipment. just like the factory should of did it.

Dwayne what did you do with the finned valve covers, they would be era correct aftermarket speed equipment. just like the factory should of did it.

Still have them Rocky. They are old aluminum "Edelbrock" finned valve covers. The ones I put on are 2-piece so the tops come off of them... makes a lot less oil mess adjusting rockers & easy access (plus their size makes the 350 look like a big block once the inner fenders & radiator/fan shroud are in to fill the voids). If you have a need for the finned ones, send a PM.

UPDATE: This week 7-12-11 thru 7-16-11 both Jack and Tom Pinner attended the PCS International meet in Hudson, Ohio. After seeing the '64 in person and spending the week with them, there was alot more they recalled. It is now confirmed they did build 3... but with a twist. My '64 was the first one built. Another was built in '65, then the last one in '66. Three in 3 years, each one unique because of the drastic body design changes from GM each year. All 3 went to Franklin Body in Manhattan NY (coach dealer) to be sold.

Decided to do something unique: I'd decided I wanted the Pinner brothers to autograph my service car. The "radio delete" plate seemed like the best option because Jack talked about what a long drive it was to Manhattan in a car without a radio! I removed the plate & it is autographed now. The history lesson was awesome, but didn't compare to the friends I found in Jack & Tom. I hope everyone gets a chance to meet these two men in person sometime!

Allow me to introduce you to Jack & Tom Pinner...

IMG_1201.jpg

IMG_1188.jpg

This shot is awesome, early one morning there was only one man in the show lot admiring his family's craftsmanship
IMG_1194.jpg

IMG_1203.jpg

It was great hearing the pinner boys talking about the car. And it was just fun talking with them on their life's in the car hobby-business.

Well it's been lurking in the garage for 4 LONG years... time for some progress! This morning I took the Pinner to Bellevue, Ohio to my paint guy's bodywork shop. Tow dolly worked surprisingly well and towed great. When it rolls out it'll be all gloss black just as it was originally, then next winter i'll finish up the driveline and brakes. This time next year she'll be ready to hit the streets!!!

Loaded and ready to head north...
20140417_091443_zpsabc90454.jpg

On the ground in Bellevue and ready to push into the bodyshop...
20140417_103245_zpsfe0b7edf.jpg

In the shop and ready for teardown!
20140417_110448_zpsc2fef842.jpg

Finding a quality bodywork/paint guy has taken far too long to find. I met my new friend/painter Keith through a Craigslist post (of all places) when seeking someone to prep and paint my Corvette. After meeting him and seeing his work (he'd just finished painting a 1965 Mustang) he took on the Corvette and finished it in 3 weeks time. Was so blown away by the finished product we began talks on the Pinner immediately. As soon as he laid eyes on the Pinner and learned it's history he insisted on painting it! Here's my Corvette after Keith was done...

0401140733b_zps11ca111e.jpg

Dwayne

OUTSTANDING NEWS BROTHER !!!

That Pinner will be the envy of all the cool car guys !
You will have a blast showing that at any and every car show around.

The Corvette finish looks amazing too !

Always an incredible thing finding the right guy when looking to have something done.

It will be a long year waiting for the Pinner to get done for next year.
Even for us waiting and watching the process !

Way to go,
Darren

:thumbsup:

Back