Rust repair and undercoating

Brendan Martin

PCS Member
About 1 month ago I dropped my 1963 Cadillac Superior off at Auto-Rust Technicians located in Cranston, RI. Paul used this company to repair rust on his Pinner. They also specialize in sandblasting, and undercoating the undercarriages of vehicles. They do the above and rust repair only, no paint or mechanical work. My car had the following rust issues; rocker panels on both sides were completely rotted, driver and passenger side fenders rotted near rockers, rot over the fender skirts driver and passenger side. I was reluctant to have the work done there and was going to send it to Ed, as it was, but after speaking with him, he said this would make his life easier. I am very impressed with their work and the price was reasonable. I will now attempt to post photos, wish me luck. Thanks Paul for being persistent in convincing me to bring the car to these guys:clubem:, great service.

Attachments

• rust work 1.jpg
    rust work 1.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 895
  • rust work 2.jpg
    rust work 2.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 847
  • rust work 164.jpg
    rust work 164.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 765
  • rust work 166.jpg
    rust work 166.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 782
  • rust work 167.jpg
    rust work 167.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 868
The rocker panels, and undercoat job.

Attachments

• rust work 170.jpg
    rust work 170.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 1,694
  • rust work 174.jpg
    rust work 174.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 737
  • rust work 175.jpg
    rust work 175.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 743
  • rust work 168.jpg
    rust work 168.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 746
your right they have left plenty for me to do. but this has moved the progress up a lot. so did the car feel a lot tighter coming home with it? funny how having the body back strong just makes it run down the road that much better. for the price they got I would rally like to be closer to them. all most a temptation to leave mine off while at albany and come back latter for it.

your right they have left plenty for me to do. but this has moved the progress up a lot. so did the car feel a lot tighter coming home with it? funny how having the body back strong just makes it run down the road that much better. for the price they got I would rally like to be closer to them. all most a temptation to leave mine off while at albany and come back latter for it.

Hey Ed leave yours with me in Albany, I'll bring it to Auto Rust and ship out when your ready to ship mine back.:071:

rust repair

How do they accomplish this rust repair? Doesn't look like metal was replaced or was it? Do you have pics of the repairs before the undercoating was applied? Just curious.

They cut out all the damaged metal until they get to solid material, and then replace with new metal. They have all the machinery to form the replacement panels so they fit and look correct. Since they don't do any body work other than rust repair, they put a heavy primer on to protect the metal. On the floor pans, they sandblast the entire bottom, and repair any damage first. Then they put on a primer sealer and undercoat. I have seen the shop in person, and have had them do work on my car prior to recommending them to Brenden. They do mostly Mopar and Mustang type of cars, and have a strong following with that crowd. Check out their website.... Auto Rust Technicians

that is of course the confusing part when you look a the car. any other shop would have repaired the dents around the rust before priming. now when we get the car we will have to finish there patch work. what shows how good the repair is, is it been welded in then just primed over. as I understand it, no fillers have been used yet on the repair. we get the car apart we'll post a shot of two of the back side . then we can really tell how well it's done.

Was undercoating normally done from the coach builder? When I look under my 1970 superior, there is a very heavy grey/white coating on the floor pan. Almost as though it were some sort of sound-deadening material.

Back