Help Wanted 40, 41 & 53 Henney Packard Jr's

I have been offered an opprotunity to purchase three Henney Packard Juniors. They are in very good shape and run I was told to make an offer can you give me advice of what is a good offer? The cars are in a warehouse in IL and are from the Lazarus Motor Museum. If I cannot do it I am glad to pass on the info to others the guy who has them is Lew Lazarus and his email is carssavingpets@aol.com. He is selling over 1000 vehicles from the collection and I am hoping to get one or two. Thanks for your help. Kenn Evans II kennsnotavailable@yahoo.com

it is always a vary hard question to answer. the market for each type of car is limited to the number of people that wish to have one. then you needing to look at just what it is your buying and what it takes to move it up to the car you want. these were a limited production of a limited production. in show car condition 20,000 has been asked and received in rough condition I don't believe the last one sold on e-bay for 500. as there are so few of them it is vary hard to set a price. then also were they ambulances, Hearse or the combination cars.

Kenn, first off, welcome to our little group. We'll be glad to help. Hopefully, I can help you not make a huge mistake.

First, quickly, the Henney Junior was the name applied to Henney's '51-'54 short wheelbase coaches/ambulances. So the earlier cars aren't Juniors.

OK, here's the big deal. I have dealt with Mr. Lazarus before and there are usually huge problems. All of the cars he has are in very rough condition and priced very, very high. He will not negotiate on price. The cars are never in such great condition as he says they are. If you are seriously interested in a car he has, make very sure to examine it, IN PERSON, before you buy. Be prepared for him to tell you how great the car runs and then it won't start, or barely runs. All are rusty, dented, missing glass, water damaged, etc. His "museum" is an outdoor field where old cars in junk condition sit and rust through. My advice is to not buy anything from Mr. Lazarus. If you choose to continue, that's your choice, but be prepared to be very disappointed.

yes our old buddy in Rockford. forgot his name. he does have some stuff that is worth getting. I have been threw his yard at one time. but you want to look things over very well. also be ready to load and go when you pay for it. if you go, bring your hip waders as the BS is deeper then a dairy farm and the CS would make a poultry farm blush

I have my own story to tell about this clown too. I live about an hour-and-a-half from Rockford, and in my Friday newspaper one week was a classified ad for a 1980 Cadillac flower car. I recognized the area code as being somewhat local, and since I have a 1980 hearse, I called on it.

I was told "just out of service, runs great, no rust". I said I'd come by tomorrow to see it, and got directions to his "dealership". Well I drove past the place twice trying to find it, looking for his nonexistant dealership, before I turned in at the mailbox with the right address number on it. What he called a dealership, I would call a junkyard. It was a bunch of rusted hulks in a field, some complete with trees growing where the engines should be.

Finally I was lead to the flower car. Maybe it was just out of service, I don't know. Maybe it did run great, I didn't try to actually drive it. I didn't see any obvious rust. Bu what he didn't tell me was that it looked like it had been in a demo derby. There literally was not an undamaged panel on the whole car. Maybe the service it was just out of was someone's using it as a pickup truck beater.

Nonetheless, I figured it didn't hurt to ask the price, thinking it was worth maybe $500-$1000. I darn near fell over in the mud when he said it was $8500, and proceeded to tell me how rare and valuable it is. Out of curiosity, I also asked about a couple of the other cars I had seen sinking into the mud. They were all $7000-$12,000, because, as I was told, they are all antiques.

Needless to say, I left, realizing what a crook this guy is. But there is a postscript to this story...

Literally years later, I was at a car show, and an 80s Cadillac flower car pulled in with dealer license plates on it, so I go over to check it out. Guess what, its the same car, still trying to be sold by the same guy, now it is rusting, and its still $8500.

Go figure.

And another one...

...under a different seller name; check out the grandiose description of this "rare" car with "only 14,000 miles:"

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0455001287&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I also have to laugh at the disclaimer regarding the accuracy of the seller's descriptions (and memory)!

About three years ago, he had an eBay listing for a "fresh from Oklahoma" 1964 Classic combination. Fresh? I traded that very car in on a 1970 Superior lowtop in 1978; the dealer sold it to LL a few weeks later.

Back