Allante anyone?

Bill Marcy

PCS Member
I am considering trading my 1990 Allante convertible. Let me tell you that the body is nice, the interior good, but has a wear spot on driver side seat back, 81,000 miles,strong running 4.5, drives well, 4 new tires just installed. The bad thing for me is that the car is quirky, for example, I can't get the convertible top to close in the back, AC not blowing cold and although the brakes seem okay, there is a service brake system light coming on and off. Truth is, we really like the car, but I am having second thoughts as to whether it was a good choice for us, considering I have zero ability as far as fixing anything. I would consider trading for a more appropriate car, professional car, or any other car.

Attachments

• P1100860.jpg
    P1100860.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 365
  • P1100861.jpg
    P1100861.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 373
  • P1100786.jpg
    P1100786.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 374
  • P1100865.jpg
    P1100865.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 376
  • P1100859.jpg
    P1100859.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 378
I would swap you my 92 GEO convertible all the issues have been fixed in it new rubber, top and all ac works good, auto and Armstrong steering and top. seat is like yours , only11800 on it. a little hail but whats a little hail among friends. did I say everything works.:D

I would swap you my 92 GEO convertible all the issues have been fixed in it new rubber, top and all ac works good, auto and Armstrong steering and top. seat is like yours , only11800 on it. a little hail but whats a little hail among friends. did I say everything works.:D

How much cash is in the glove box of the Geo?

how about I just sign a blank check you guess how much is in the account;)

but laugh all you want the reason I picked up this geo is cheap, easy and all most bullet prof. doesn't take up a lot of room.

not a lot of people with a use for a 22 short anyway. but hay they punch holes in these paper oil cans as easily as the log rifle hollow points do. wish I we were closer I could help with that latch problem.

there is nothing like a top down run. this little caddy would be nice to have

how about I just sign a blank check you guess how much is in the account;)

but laugh all you want the reason I picked up this geo is cheap, easy and all most bullet prof. doesn't take up a lot of room.

not a lot of people with a use for a 22 short anyway. but hay they punch holes in these paper oil cans as easily as the log rifle hollow points do. wish I we were closer I could help with that latch problem.

there is nothing like a top down run. this little caddy would be nice to have

Yes, I know there is lots to like about a Metro convertible, but it is too small for me. Besides, I think in spite of its quirks, the Allante is worth more and for a Cadillac-guy, it is a Cadillac. I would think that a handy guy would be better than I am for the Allante, but if I don't get an interesting offer, eventually, we might get it sorted out. As I said before, we really like it. And Ed, to your point, we almost always have a convertible, they are fun!

the crawl out is the part I hate. these are a nice car will worth having as long as the family is gone. I'm betting the gas mileage is not that far off the geo either the last time I look the geo was a 2500 dollar car. strange how the top car and the bottom cars end up priced the same after a decade or so.

Bill, I had a red '91 Allante back in the mid-'90's for a few years, and have to say it was one of the most fun cars I have ever owned. But that shop manual sure got a workout. That convertible top rear pull down latch was a real problems with these cars. I replaced mine once, and was constantly adjusting it from that point on. You never knew when it was going to not engage.

I also replaced the instrument cluster twice, myself, due to the backlighting going dim. These clusters were no longer available or repairable from/through Cadillac, so had to be obtained through members of the Allante Club. I also replaced 3 out of 4 of the struts, which automatically adjusted firmness based on speed and road conditions, and after the last one got lost in shipping, was told by Cadillac dealers that it was the last new one known to man.

I finally sold it to a friend of mine in Canada, and it nickel and dimed him to death, primarily due to lack of use on his part. But when everything was working, that car was sure fun to drive, and always got attention.

When I was still a car dealer, I used to go to a wholesale place where many dealers bought cars, it was not an auction. Anyway, one of the dealers drove a pearl white Allante every single day, but the kicker was that I was told his Allante had over 300,000 original miles on it. So, that stuck in my mind as being pretty damn impressive. I have to say, my Allante runs great and feels good going down the road, but it would be fabulous to have the top down, or closed completely, as it was when I bought it.

When I was still a car dealer, I used to go to a wholesale place where many dealers bought cars, it was not an auction. Anyway, one of the dealers drove a pearl white Allante every single day, but the kicker was that I was told his Allante had over 300,000 original miles on it. So, that stuck in my mind as being pretty damn impressive. I have to say, my Allante runs great and feels good going down the road, but it would be fabulous to have the top down, or closed completely, as it was when I bought it.

We have one in our showroom too. THE tops had issues with closing and ours does too. THey seem to have several quirks.

Back