My Federal Double Tone Siren Light

Bill Marcy

PCS Member
I have a gorgeous, restored by John Dorgan and not used since, Federal Model 78B Double Tone Siren Light to sell, or trade. I need a C6B, Q2B, or a B&M SC8B roof mounted siren for my 1968 Superior Pontiac ambulance. I know it might seem strange, but the Double Tone does not fit the mounting holes that are on my roof and I really don't want to drill more holes. According to the original Superior Pontiac parts catalogue, the sirens I have mentioned were the sirens available on my ambulance.

I would consider a lesser siren than mine, if we can negotiate a satisfactory arrangement. I would also like a pair of Unity spotlights, just in case.

I am not sure of values for sirens, but I do know that the Double Tone is desirable. I will consider offers, but I would really like to make a trade quickly, as I have several local events coming up and would really like to have a siren on the roof. PM, or call me at 201 954 3159 with what you have.

Attachments

• P1100060.jpg
    P1100060.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 648
  • P1100059.jpg
    P1100059.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 556
  • P1100061.jpg
    P1100061.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 613
  • P1100055.jpg
    P1100055.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 626
I've learned that the bases on these sirens depend not only on the model, but WHEN they were manufactured. Many are interchangeable. Why don't you try to swap the base? Just a thought.

Your car came with a Q2 or a Q2B, based on the shadow pattern. You will need the 10 degree sloped mount for your car, and that is going to be the difficult part. I do have one somewhere in the garage, but don't know exactly where. When we first discussed this, I had a almost new Q2B siren, but I have since sold that to another PCS Member for his ambulance. As he put it, he couldn't pass it up, it was in such good condition for a used siren.
I have lots of NOS spotlights, and all I need is the dimension of the shaft that you need.

yes my guess is like everyones else a swap of the base is all you need. that one is the base you will find on most of the federal Qs. you are looking for a superior one. the roof looks to have had at least two different siren mount holes drilled into it. the center two are the superior mount holes.

No Longer Available!

I finally got it mounted, but thanks for your suggestions.

Attachments

• siren 002.jpg
    siren 002.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 568
looks good up there. those superior mounts are a hard idem to come by.

if you want to level it out. a longer bolt in the rear and a spacer between the mount and roof it will do the trick.

but in my eye they are a much nicer looking siren then the Q. I can wait to get mine up on the roof of my poncho.

I finally got it mounted, but thanks for your suggestions.

Very nice looking car, Bill. Thomas Funeral Home here in Midland used the Model 78 doubletone siren on a couple of their ambulances back in the '60s: first on a '63 Ford wagon and then on their '66 Pontiac wagon. On both cars the siren was mounted front center and flanked by twin red Model 17 beacons; and the Pontiac had a pair of red 6" Unity lights cowl mounted in addition to the beacons and siren on the roof. It was also the last time they used mechanical sirens, as they went to Pontiac Consorts with electronic sirens in 1967 and then to their first vans in the early '70s. They left the ambulance business in 1974.

Back