paint color effect on value.

Ok, here's where I'm at: I bartered a neighbor my seldom used 1994 Buick Park Avenue ( he needed a 4 door for new baby) in exchange for body/paint on my 73 MM Lifeliner ( he owns body/paint shop). Lots of members were kind enough to share pics of their beautifully different color combination when I first mentioned thoughts of a color change.
I own five other non-pro Cadillacs, all in original outrageous 70's colors ( Persian Lime, Mandarin Orange, Dunbarton Green, Cerise Firemist and Firethorn red) They can be viewed on Flickr under screenname " fmbjogger"
While rarely seen colors enhance the value of my non-pro cars, I'm not certain the same standard applies to pro cars. I want to paint it lime ( see picture) as a personal preference but I'm mindful of resale value and it's possible effect. Lifeliner is all white now, originally Omaha Orange.
So it comes down to: play it safe or let my freak flag fly ? ! :D

Attachments

• lite_life_cadillac.jpg
    lite_life_cadillac.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 338
I, like you, love all of the freaky colors of the '70s. Cadillac offered some wild colors! I assume that the color combo(lime green & white) in the photo is what you are currently considering. Paint it lime green. I love it and it is what you really want to do. Since it is currently all white, don't paint the door jambs or anything under the hood lime green. Leave those areas all white. Were it currently red or Omaha Orange, I would not recommend doing this. If the lime green color is an issue with a future prospective buyer, they might not balk as much if the door jambs and engine compartment are still white.

I would have to see a full view picture of the vehicle before I could make any color suggestions. Barring that, I suggest that you don't do anything other than wash it occasionally, and put some fuel into it.

What color is the interior? Lime will only work with black or white, in my opinion (or more lime, but if it was orange before I'm guessing the interior is not lime now).

The Lime green colour with white works if it works for you! Town's Ambulance Service in Cheektowaga, NY in the late 1970's into 1995 when they sold to Rural Metro had that colour.

They had at one point 4 Pontiac Highboys painted those colours--some one mentioned what interior. WE simply painted the cars our company colours. I served with Memorial Ambulance in Buffalo--our colours were a softer green and white---see 10 page article in PCS 145 ---our cars had orange, red, green black interiors -they clashed That was our company colours. If you like the out side colour go with it and I would not worry about the interior if you can live w/ it. I drove over 35 Cadillacs and the interior colours clashed. Peace enjoy the weekend. JVV:applause:

Mike: If I can echo Ed's comment. If you plan on keeping the car for some time, do what will make you enjoy it the most. If it might move on sooner than later, keep it white knowing the colour will not impact that happening.

Keep us posted.

PS: Of the colours you posted, my personal favorite, mandarin orange. Not a traditional ambulance colour, but striking just the same.

Last edited:
What color is the interior? Lime will only work with black or white, in my opinion (or more lime, but if it was orange before I'm guessing the interior is not lime now).

he only change to the interior would have to be the red carpet. I'd go with black carpet.

Attachments

• 029.jpg
    029.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 271
how about butt ugly green. there is a red and white 59 floating around with a us army C/B green interior. you look at the threads of in-service cars here you find every off combination you can be chemical induced into. it's a do as I want thing you paying the bill. me I like the interior and the out side to harmonize thats why I like the mid tan ones. they go with anything. white is not my favoring color at all. and even some wacko off the wall combination look beautifully on the right car. take a dark aquamarine leaning to the blue side and add a light mint green with it. now what kind of color is that to paint a ambulance

With the black interior, you are wide open for color combinations. Go with what you truly like and enjoy it. Let the next guy then change if he wishes. too many opinions will only confuse you.

With the red carpet, red and white exterior is always a popular choice, but I feel like there are a lot out there like that. Chicago red and black is always a good looking combination that isn't seen as much out there.

With the red carpet, red and white exterior is always a popular choice, but I feel like there are a lot out there like that. Chicago red and black is always a good looking combination that isn't seen as much out there.

Red carpet is incorrect anyway. Would/should have been black. Go with the lime green!

Mike, you are worrying about selling a car you just bought. Please don't worry about that. It's your car, if you are planning to keep it for a while, do what you want (within reason, don't get out the cutting torch). If you've decided on lime, go for it.

Like Ed said, the next guy will probably want to change it, just as you are!

I agree with Kurt on door jams issue. The more important issue is what do you want? What will you enjoy? I am an old school body man and it was burned in to us that WE NEVER CHANGE THE ORIGIONAL COLOR. I no longer agree with the old school. If you like the color make the change and if you can make it easy to change back that's the way to go. I changed my 84 Eureka De Ville Limo from Black to Silver Kurt's way and left the jambs and under sides Black, put on Blue pin stripes and blue body side molding and it is real sharp. You need to do what you want for your car.

Thank you for all the suggestions and advice. It has been very helpful. So I've decided I have two options:
1) Restore original Omaha Orange ( which is standard but very attractive) with jams/hood etc painted as per original.
2) Get freaky with Lime but leave jams/hood etc existing white to allow for less extensive future repaint
I have about a two week window to decide before my neighbor can begin work. It might just come down to a coin flip !

PS. here's a link to my other brightly colored cars: http://www.flickr.com/photos/78593524@N04/

I looked at all your other cars, and my first thought was the current ad running for Home Depot with the two chameleons walking over the color charts and their colors would change... :D

After seeing the pictures of the ambulance, I would be more inclined to go with a traditional white over red. My 1969 was originally red, but the red faded out to orange. I decided to go with white over red, and am very pleased with the result.

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 140
  • finish4.jpg
    finish4.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 135
You have a gorgeous collection of colorful cars! I love the WISCO? Pimpmobile, I have wanted a pimpmobile since I was in high school, back in the early Seventies.

Mike, thanks for sharing pictures of your terrific collection. Beautiful.

If I can add one more thought, these vehicles are so large they look very nice as Paul's and most of mine are: WHITE/COLOUR/WHITE. This also reduces the work if your white car is otherwise in good shape.

Back