Where does this stainless molding go?

Removing parts for Chris Bruno from this '51 Miller Army ambulance, I found these moldings buried under bench seat in rear compartment, having already been removed. I flipped this almost 7' piece around every which way walking around the coach and couldn't ascertain where it went. Curved end didn't match up anywhere and piece was undamaged. Ideas?

dsc08240s.jpg

Spare tire door breaks up driver side (being hinged above waist line). I don't even think it possible the length would fit there anywhere. Here's a shot of the entire right side.

dsc05074up.jpg

Managed to remove 12 parts he needed. This ambulance sits 3/4 mile back from entrance. Took 3 trips carrying and 1 trip with wheelbarrow, all up and down very rugged hilly terrain. My legs and lower back prohibit getting any real work done today...ha. :stars:

dsc08236r.jpg

dsc08237g.jpg

Looks like he needs more still. If that long trim piece can be figured out, I'm sure he'd appreciate it.

It probably goes to another vehicle, and was stored inside this car by someone that was probably going to come back at a later time to retrieve it. I used to see this happen many times in salvage yards. You would wonder why a Pontiac part was in the trunk of a Plymouth. The person that took the part off didn't have enough hands to hold everything that they took off the car, so they stashed it in another car for when they come back next time. In this case, they never came back to retrieve it. Usually if you look around at the other cars in the vicinity, you can figure out what car it was removed from, if that car is still in the area. People will remove a part from a car that the yard operator says is "off limits" and they store that part in another car, until a time in the future when it is safe to bring the part to the front counter, claiming that you found it in another car.

Considered that very astute possibility Paul. Then the question becomes what hearse or ambulance did it come on? You can see in the pic that the molding is resting on an angle and not vertical. It is quite long. Can't imagine any vehicle other than a procar it originated from. Did any convertibles even have quarter panels large enough?

the only thing on that car it could be is a inside piece. top of the wheel well left side or divider between the floor and wheel well. there was not a lot of trim on the military model. nothing on the out side of that car makes sense. the compound curve on the bent end suggests inside trim.

'51 Miller Parts

Keep in mind the '51 Miller Cad cut down combo that I posted this past week at John's Auto Parts in Cabool, Missouri. I just looked at it again today and it has a very nice front clip, rust-free quarter panels and skirts, and nice stainless mouldings. It also has a very straight back bumper.
Kurt

Removing parts for Chris Bruno from this '51 Miller Army ambulance, I found these moldings buried under bench seat in rear compartment, having already been removed. I flipped this almost 7' piece around every which way walking around the coach and couldn't ascertain where it went. Curved end didn't match up anywhere and piece was undamaged. Ideas?

dsc08240s.jpg

Spare tire door breaks up driver side (being hinged above waist line). I don't even think it possible the length would fit there anywhere. Here's a shot of the entire right side.

dsc05074up.jpg

Managed to remove 12 parts he needed. This ambulance sits 3/4 mile back from entrance. Took 3 trips carrying and 1 trip with wheelbarrow, all up and down very rugged hilly terrain. My legs and lower back prohibit getting any real work done today...ha. :stars:

dsc08236r.jpg

dsc08237g.jpg

Looks like he needs more still. If that long trim piece can be figured out, I'm sure he'd appreciate it.

Back