Help with mounting a Q2

James Fischer

PCS Member
I would like to ask all the ambulance experts on the board for your input on mounting a Q2......

#1 What if any additional support would be needed to mount it on a 72 Superior hightop ??

#2 Do I need a mounting base or can it sit on top of the fiberglass ??

Those would be the most important questions I guess but if there are any issues that I should know please advise.....

Thanks all in advance....looking forward to your replies !!:)

The fiberglass roof isn't strong enough to hold the weight of the Q, and the roof was reinforced on the inside when a external siren was specified on the order. They can be retrofitted with a steel support, however, it isn't an easy job. Check the roof to see if there is already the support installed by the factory. Sometimes you get lucky. If you are looking for a Q, I know someone that has one, but it needs a few dents removed.

I think that the siren support plate was standard in Superior's roof construction.

Assuming that there is no zipper access, you will have to somehow open-up the headliner and look. If your car is set-up the same as the 67 & 69, the easiest spot to do this is where the headliner meets the windshield. You just need to remove the inner windshield trim, take the staples holding the headliner in place out and look in.

I can send you pictures of the set-up from my 67 if you want.

I think that the siren support plate was standard in Superior's roof construction.

Assuming that there is no zipper access, you will have to somehow open-up the headliner and look. If your car is set-up the same as the 67 & 69, the easiest spot to do this is where the headliner meets the windshield. You just need to remove the inner windshield trim, take the staples holding the headliner in place out and look in.

I can send you pictures of the set-up from my 67 if you want.

Thank You !!
I will get out and look as you say....I do have zipper access so hopefully that helps....I would appreciate the pictures if you get a chance to send them.....
Thanks again....:thumb:

Once you get it mounted be sure to mount the soleniod in the engine compartment. When I mounted the "Q" on the Lifeliner the soleniod was mounted under the dash so when hitting the button I hear this major click. Not too bad since it is only used during parades and such.

Rest assured, there is nothing like a "Q".

If you decide to not go with a roof mount, a Q2 can fit behind the grill easier than you think...

IMG_0670.jpg

If you decide to not go with a roof mount, a Q2 can fit behind the grill easier than you think...

IMG_0670.jpg
Mr Brooks,
Thanks,I have been told that also.....HOWEVER......If I am going to go with the expense of what a Q costs now days.....its going to get mounted where it will be seen !!:rofl:

These pics are from my 69.

This is obviously not a Q, but the principle is the same...
picture.php

If you have the zipper, you just unzip the flap, and there you have access to the mounting plate for the siren. If not, you need to remove the inside upper windshield trim and carefully detach the headliner.
picture.php

Here is the plate that support the siren. You can see where the four bolts that hold the siren in place are located along with the speaker wires..
picture.php

Hope this helps.

Jean-Marc;
Thank you for the pictures and the pointers...I will now have some idea of what to look for.....
So the Q can be mounted directly onto the fiberglass (with gasket) ??
The other question is where would I get a solenoid ??
Would the one I have for the current siren (Federal 666) work ??
:thankyou2:

the Q can be bolted threw the support. the support will be lining the roof on the inside. so as long as you have the support you may mount it with no othere modifications to the outer skin of the car.

Would need to know the part number of the solenoid and the diameter of the wire that you presently have. The Q is a energy hog, and will require a lot of power to spin it. This is where the B & M Super Chief has the Q beat hands down.

the Q can be bolted threw the support. the support will be lining the roof on the inside. so as long as you have the support you may mount it with no othere modifications to the outer skin of the car.

Thank you Ed !!
I guess I will still have to drill thru the support ?? Correct ??

the object would be to mount the motor level . so depending on the base you have as to were to mount it. they did not always get the support centered in the car. the safe way to do it would be to put the base were you want it mounted. then do the string line across the roof and make the drip rail in line with the hole. then go inside and run your string line across. you can then lay your base in the support line it up with the string and mark and drill all 4 holes from the inside. that way you know your on the support. you may not be able to with the headliner in. but drill at least two. that way when you go up top you can drop a couple bolts in and drill the rest knowing you'll go threw the support. it may be cocked a tad on the roof when you do it this way. but at 60 mph with it and lights running who can tell.

or you can do the measure up from the glass and side to side from the drip rails. square it up dead center in the roof making sure it's level with a level. then mark and drill your holes from the top down. you'll most likly only miss the support with one hole if you don't drill threw the outer lip bent for strength. always at least one of them will be so tight you can't get the nut to go flush. but she will be one there straight and true.

one other little trick would be to run your bolts threw the base then slip and flat washer on the bottom. roll a O ring up the shaft of the bolt to keep it together and make the seal. "small" dab of silicone over the ring for insurance and you can set it in place get one top nut on and your in control. don't forget your wire in place first before you seat the siren. then the darn thing is really nose heavy.

I still have one here I'm trying to get rid of

Back