Ambulances vs. Coaches

I'm ASSuming that, since the EMS Act of 1974 which was enacted in 1978, basically put the kibosh on most, if not all, of the Coach-builders and put them out of business, at least for manufacturing Ambulances anyway, that Ambulances are much harder to find than Funeral Coaches. Does anyone here know when was the last year for Ambulances to be built on the CCC and who the manufacturers were? Thanks for your answers ahead of time....

Don

last one i seen was an 1980 S&S Cadillac Fleetwood combo owned by Anthony G. hes on here, even had a cherry. It was one out of 2 ever made in 1980

Last edited:
The LAST Cadillac based ambulance was built by Superior in 1979. Between 1977 and 1979, Superior made (if my memory is correct) 33 ambulances on the Cadillac Commercial chassis.

The LAST Cadillac based ambulance was built by Superior in 1979. Between 1977 and 1979, Superior made (if my memory is correct) 33 ambulances on the Cadillac Commercial chassis.

You're close, Rick. Superior actually built 10 each model year for '77, '78 and '79. I owned one of the '79s for a couple of years.

Attachments

• Winkler003.jpg
    Winkler003.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 367
So as the production numbers dropped, that makes these Ambulances even more rare to find!! That explains a lot....that's why there's many more older Ambulances out there [73 backwards] than mid-70's [74 upwards] after the implementation of the EMS Act. I know I'm going to have a tough time finding something that I like and will have to take whatever comes down the pike......Thanks guys for your help! Does anyone know what the last production numbers were for MM and the other Coach-builders besides Superior?

Don

Last edited:
1976 is very well known as the last of the full size commercial chassis Cadillac hearses and ambulances as 1977 became a downsized vehicle.

So there are very few after 1976.

Darren

As many of you may know, I own a Superior combination made in 1982. (This should muddy the waters.):thumb:

Attachments

• 3813598600_44013f87d4_b.jpg
    3813598600_44013f87d4_b.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 342
The last full ambulance was a '79 Superior, as mentioned bought originally by Roger White and now owned by Dave Richards. M-M built their last Cadillac ambulance in '78, and S&S built their last Cadillac-chassis unit in '76. Superior and M-M continued to briefly build box ambulances into the early '80s, and S&S actually built a few ambulances after '76 using the GMC "Transmode" motorhome body.

There were a small number of combinations built after '79 - as Jerry mentioned, he has one. Superior built a few Cadillac-chassis lowtop ambulances for export (to the Middle East I believe) as well.

Steve Loftin can clarify, but I believe CRS Coach in Oklahoma built a mid-'80s Ford wagon hightop ambulance.

While the van and box-style ambulances were becoming more popular, a few of the professional car ambulances remained in service well into the '80s or later. The last professional car ambulance in service here in Maryland, a standby unit at a race track, was retired in 2002. (Of course, I bought it.)

Interestingly, I had several conversations with Bud Smock, founder/president of PL Custom ambulance, about the possibility of them building a new Cadillac-chassis ambulance around 2005 or 2006. Alas, when he died, he took his idea with him. (Bud had also designed the box ambulances on Cadillac chassis built by Franklin for some NJ squads in the late '50s.)

Various Final Ambulance models

Thanks a lot, guys! At least this gives me the 'Big Picture' when it comes to the late-model Ambulances and what my chances are of finding one that I'll be committed to putting the time and effort and money into it to make it a show piece! :thankyou2:

Back