Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.

Go Back   Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc. > Classifieds Forum Open to the Public > Archived Craigslist Discussions

Archived Craigslist Discussions Archived posts This forum is for old Craigslist discussions that have all the pertinent information to the item, such as pictures and descriptions. It is closed for new thread and discussion posting.

Old 10-10-2014, 09:34 PM
PCS Member

Thanked 2,789 Times in 1,328 Posts
Groans: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good luck Mike! I like the ambulance and it would be fabulous to see it restored.
Past Northeast Chapter President
Past BoD Member
Co-Chair PCS 1999 Lancaster Meet

And I have to say that I enjoyed every minute of it!
Old 10-11-2014, 09:59 PM
PCS Member

Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

DEAL DONE! FYI, I made the deal on the '56 Superior-Pontiac Ambulance and paid him for it today. The Seller said that he took it in from a private owner against a bill when he owned a tire repair shop in 1990, so it's been sitting outside for the past (24) years in the high upper desert (dry heat) community of Hesperia in San Bernardino County, not too far from where PCS Member Dan Scully lives.

A little "DNA" on the car... it was last (CA) Commercially Registered in 1961 to the multi-national giant construction company PERINI CORP., and apparently the reason it was painted school bus yellow. It still has a large PERINI CORP decal on the rear door with a (construction company type) equipment number on both sides of the car. The Seller of course claimed that "it was one of the original transports for the BLACK BIRD SPY PLANE RAMP in Sacramento" and of course PERINI could have had a (secret) military contract requiring an Ambulance, but that "tale" is yet to be verified.

The relatively low original mileage seems to check out, by the odometer and a number of (different) old service station lube stickers on the left door jamb. Although I didn't try to start it, the motor turned over freely and the oil (right to the full mark) looked like it had just been changed. In checking the most recent lube sticker, sure enough it had been changed just 263 miles earlier, but (53) years ago in August of 1961!

So if any of you have any leads on a set of Superior (OVAL) Red Lights and Retainers for the front tunnels, I will need set of two by the time we finish our restoration process. THANKS! MM
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Mike McDonald For This Useful Post:
Bill Marcy (10-11-2014), Daniel Scully (10-11-2014), John Eder (10-11-2014), Ken Elliott (10-12-2014), Ken Novak (10-12-2014), Kurt Arends (10-11-2014), Rich Koski (10-12-2014), Steve Lichtman (10-14-2014), Steve Loftin (10-11-2014), Terry Lange (10-11-2014), Tim Prieur (10-12-2014)
Old 10-11-2014, 10:10 PM
PCS Member

Thanked 2,789 Times in 1,328 Posts
Groans: 1

Congratulations Mike! That ambulance should be a real beauty, once you are done restoring it.
Past Northeast Chapter President
Past BoD Member
Co-Chair PCS 1999 Lancaster Meet

And I have to say that I enjoyed every minute of it!
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Marcy For This Useful Post:
Mike McDonald (10-12-2014)
Old 10-11-2014, 10:29 PM
PCS Member

Outstanding, Mike!!! I'm glad that the '56 found a good home. Happy that I posted it and you grabbed it before it was (I apologize for saying) hot rodded or the other sin!! If I'm ever in the area I'd like to see it if that is ok.

Beautiful rig. Congrat!!
Old 10-12-2014, 12:10 AM
PCS Elected Director 2016 - 2018

Thanked 14,136 Times in 5,947 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts

time for someone that has a set of the oval ones to run them thru a 3 d printer and then one can cast the lens out of plastic.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:26 AM
PCS Member

Thanked 1,193 Times in 474 Posts
Thumbs up

Mike, well done!!
Looks like a great car.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tim Prieur For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2014, 08:07 AM
PCS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Melanson View Post
Outstanding, Mike!!! I'm glad that the '56 found a good home. Happy that I posted it and you grabbed it before it was (I apologize for saying) hot rodded or the other sin!! If I'm ever in the area I'd like to see it if that is ok.

Beautiful rig. Congrat!!
JOE: YES a special THANKS (to you) for posting it as I would have never known about it otherwise.... also to Dan Scully (who is from that area-but had never seen the car) with helping me yesterday even find it with the Seller's lack of a street address and only general directions of "turn right here off the freeway.... turn left there and it's a 1/3 of a block down the street on your left behind a motor home". As I said before, this guy was really full of "hype".... allegedly to have restored (109 "not a typo") Camaros... but yet there was nothing at his compound that even looked washed, much less restored. He said that he was going to use the proceeds of the Ambulance sale to "bring his new bride home from Kenya". Although I kept it "zipped up" yesterday, I thought as I was leaving.... if New Packards were still available, he probably would try and sell them to Eskimos!

JOE: Can you check to see if it had been (re-listed just yesterday morning) on Craig's List at a much higher price... something like $4,500 to 5,500? Although I had made an appointment with him for 1:00 PM Saturday and arrived from San Diego County at 12:30 PM (even with his lousy directions) he said that he had "just re-listed it and that he couldn't possibly just give it away for what he had previously listed it for".

ED: I have only briefly heard of the 3-D Printing Process you refer too. Is this something that can practically be done? The "Other Oval Light" that is always hard to find is the S-M (GLASS) Version originally made in Los Angeles.

Finally.... THANKS TO ALL OF YOU that have taken the time to make posts on this rig and many-many others over the past few years that really helps the "computer challenged" (illiterate) members like myself. MM
Old 10-12-2014, 09:31 AM
PCS Member

Thanked 2,261 Times in 933 Posts
Default 56

This is the title of the for sale add now = 1956 Pontiac Ambulance SOLD $2000.00 - $4750 (Hesperia)

Here is the text in the add ,guy sounds like a real wacka do . Hope it all works out.

Very rare as there was only 178 Made and I do not believe any made it past the 1970's gas crunch and doubt the following gas crunches that followed It has a history behind it as it was one of the original transports for the BLACK BIRD SPY PLANE RAMP IN SAC. owned by a privet company contracting for the base I have owned it from 1900 and know the history of the car has a big block with less than 68000 has a rare 4 speed auto trans. included is the gurney as I also have the siren put away/ they still have gasket set for engine though I have never bought it. car will make a great show car in auto shows as you will never have any competition it is a free trophy every time (only in class one of a kind most original as depending on the show) Keep the history alive as it would make a great father and son project or a military man's show case. The spy plane has a great part of the American history as this is why I have moved if from state to state as I moved as now I am selling all my old cars I have left Had a Pontiac buff come by and have been told the chrome and emblems as well as other features This car has on it and in the good clean shape there is no pitting in any of the chrome parts of them makes this car worth much more as well as it is not any of this model anywhere to be found. So this is not only rare do too the amount made it is also rare as too the accessories and the fact it was constructed by Superior then finished by Pontiac so the history goes on Only real offers will be considered as I only have Saturdays as I work six days a week

1961 S&S Limo Style End Loader
1962 Buick Electra 225 Limo (By Flxible)
1965 Crown Sovereign 3-Way
1965 C/B Landau
1968 Crown Royale 3-way
1996 Eagle Coupe de Fleur

1964 Dodge 880 Hardtop Wagon
1963 Bug
1973 VW Thing
1968 A-100 Truck
1970 300 Convertible
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Scully For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2014, 09:48 AM
PCS Member

Mike,
I saw what Dan did.
Quote:
1956 Pontiac Ambulance SOLD $2000.00 - $4750 (Hesperia)
http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/4705305333.html
Very rare as there was only 178 Made and I do not believe any made it past the 1970's gas crunch and doubt the following gas crunches that followed It has a history behind it as it was one of the original transports for the BLACK BIRD SPY PLANE RAMP IN SAC. owned by a privet company contracting for the base I have owned it from 1900 and know the history of the car has a big block with less than 68000 has a rare 4 speed auto trans. included is the gurney as I also have the siren put away/ they still have gasket set for engine though I have never bought it. car will make a great show car in auto shows as you will never have any competition it is a free trophy every time (only in class one of a kind most original as depending on the show) Keep the history alive as it would make a great father and son project or a military man's show case. The spy plane has a great part of the American history as this is why I have moved if from state to state as I moved as now I am selling all my old cars I have left Had a Pontiac buff come by and have been told the chrome and emblems as well as other features This car has on it and in the good clean shape there is no pitting in any of the chrome parts of them makes this car worth much more as well as it is not any of this model anywhere to be found. So this is not only rare do too the amount made it is also rare as too the accessories and the fact it was constructed by Superior then finished by Pontiac so the history goes on Only real offers will be considered as I only have Saturdays as I work six days a week
post id: 4705305333
posted: 4 days ago
updated: 6 hours ago
my notes: this was as of 6:30 AM Sunday Morning. This time there are a ton more pics - 18 to be exact.

What is this guys trip? Did he sell it to you or not? Or did he finally get some interest and now have "seller's remorse". Sounds like he took all the info that you might have stated when talking w/ him and used it to revamp the listing as well as back out of the deal. I have a lot of words for guys like him and probably would not be as nice as you might be.
It did not sell at that same (close to) price in Jan 2013.
I have a hunch his Kenya bride will have to wait quite a while longer.
He may have been able to use the info he got from you that still will not pique the interest of most folks.
If he does, or did, back out I'd at least report him - Sold $2,000 means Sold $2000. Did you give him any $.
I'm getting more ticked off as I type so I better stop.
Let me know how it goes would you please. ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!
Old 10-12-2014, 12:03 PM
PCS Elected Director 2016 - 2018

Thanked 14,136 Times in 5,947 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts

one of those if you bought it you better take it now type. he is not alone in this world.

but to answer you question, making a lens using a original for the pattern is a easy enough process if you have the original. the new 3d printers can scan and makeup a exact copy of about anything. the bag now is to 360 scan your body and make a statue of yourself. I hear they get about 100 bucks to do that. I just don't know if it could be done in translucent red as of yet. but the pattern would be true right down to the logo. then there are people that can cast one from the pattern. but even if all you did was paint it red and use it to fill the hole it would be better then nothing