NFDA sneak peek

Eagle, Federal and Platinum all look alike...coach lamp with crown band...frankly I can't tell the three landau models apart. Eagle started that basic body style years ago, it's time for something different.

Chad - You are 100% correct, they all do look somewhat alike....or did recently. In fact, the "styling" seen on the Eagle, Federal, Platinum and some of the others is simply a copy of the design introduced in 1977 by S&S on the newly downsized Victoria. Although the Victoria didn't have the roof band, it did have the cove in the landau shield areas adorned with rather ornate coachlamps. This was a styling affectation later adopted (stolen) by Eagle, Federal and others that were and still are lacking in imagination and originality. This "theft" of an S&S design hallmark made identification of one brand from another difficult for even those of us who pay attention to such things. I guess the imitators were and are hoping to cash in on the S&S cachet while building cars that weren't or aren't of the quality of a traditional S&S product. These cars are simply poor clones of a 37-year-old S&S design.

I know that they are the same company's ( G.M. and Ford ) but if someone doesn't start thinking "outside the box" again, (using other models) we will be heading down the Mini-Van Conversions road. ( I'm not saying anything is wrong with the MK products. They are and continue to serve a growing market)

But the problem with Binz-Mercedes and Rosewood Prinzing is again Price ! I'm not sure what the prices are on these products but I would think they are up there with a Cadillac and Lincoln ?

The bottom Line is PRICE ! Yes Funeral Director still wants a nice looking Coach out front with their Nameplate on it, but they don't want to "break the bank" doing it

The bottom line in any business in MONEY the less you spend....the more you make

Thats all I'm saying

Mike the MK mini van conversions run about $60-65,000. Although I am not a mini van hearse fan, these do look pretty decent in person and I would own one.
I do not know the price on all the Rosewood Prinzings, but the carved side runs around $125,000 which is comparable to the S&S Masterpiece price.
The Binz on the other hand is more expensive. In the spring of this year I was told by a dealer of them that prices start at $165,000.
Coaches in the last 5 years at least ran in the $90,000 range, so prices have really not gone up much, and the newer companies like the Kellerman familys offerings and Armbruster Stageway may even be less, I have not hears prices on these, so cannot say.
I like the idea of bringing back Chevy based coaches, but I wonder if they are just too small. I would also see Chrysler offerings (non mini van), I really liked the Chrysler 300 based coaches from Krystal in the early 2000's.

I like the idea of bringing back Chevy based coaches, but I wonder if they are just too small.

John, the current Opel Insignia, Chevrolet Impala and one of the Buicks (I can't remember their names) are (under the skin) the same cars/platforms as the Cadillacs used for funeral cars by all the leading American manufaturers. They are all the same size - essentially - and use the same cowls, windshields, etc. Ergo, there would be no "size" difference.

Any idea what the retail on the Platinum Cortege is?

Rather than having a suggested retail, Platinum is allowing dealers leeway with Cortege pricing which accommodates for tailoring to markets in different parts of country. Prices I heard firsthand from dealers fluctuate nearly $10k.

Atti, one more try on founder of Eagle if you will please......Larry

Please add an amendment then. Mazzarella had a hand but you'd know details that far back better than myself old man. :)

Back to expo coverage.

Platinum Phoenix with half vinyl roof. High quality build while being $5k less than Eagle Ultimate. Although not personally sold on 3-piece inset landau design, traditional landau irons are available and I've seen both styles mounted on new coaches in factory. Sharp coach after looking at other similar offerings and likely best value of any new Cadillac base. Note roof band cants forward on more of an angle. Shown with power urn enclave open.

15364526229_a743f86829_b.jpg

15553855605_bbf2b6d19c_b.jpg

Platinum Cortege was only vehicle at expo I'd like to own in 15-20 years after depreciation. Although there were a few details that could use tweaking, it is awesome in person. Stainless deck height was raised a couple inches from conception to production allowing for more interior space, enabling dual purpose hearse and flower car. Smart move as many FHs could not otherwise justify price for a straight flower car.

Going back to what has been mentioned about Cadillac chassis, Cortege is a prime example of how a coach builder must work within guideline limitations. There is a faux window above stainless deck on back of cab. Why??? Not permitted to change/move airbags above headliner - which sucks. Cortege was designed however to add a window later once this particular hurdle with Cadillac can be overcome. Raised headliner and additional residual cabin light would sure be beneficial.

15527447156_3dd250cfc6_b.jpg

15365511840_e69af95489_b.jpg

15365122167_71eb2569d8_b.jpg

15551980252_d415f9ec2d_b.jpg

I was particularly interested in hearing Cortege feedback from FDs at expo. Heard a couple decent suggestions that may become future options: Not having an all stainless rear compartment, instead utilizing more traditional side/sconce panels. Rear leveling assist. From a liability standpoint, raising back end to accommodate for laden weight makes sense. Wouldn't want a pallbearer throwing back out bent over unloading.

Eagle last offered Coupe de Fleur in '10(?) while S&S Victoria Florale ceased production shortly thereafter. Likely no new flower car on market for 4-5 years combined with Cortege's stylishness aided orders - which exceeded even Platinum's expectations. Without conveying an exact number (uncertain if permitted doing so) I will say twice annual production of Eagle or S&S has already happened. One dealer alone ordered 3 without having buyers already aligned.

More on MK and oddball coaches next.

I was particularly interested in hearing Cortege feedback from FDs at expo. Heard a couple decent suggestions that may become future options: Not having an all stainless rear compartment, instead utilizing more traditional side/sconce panels. Rear leveling assist. From a liability standpoint, raising back end to accommodate for laden weight makes sense. Wouldn't want a pallbearer throwing back out bent over unloading.

Rear leveling would be a must in my opinion, I cant believe they did not put it on. I do love the traditional stainless steel interior in flower cars, but I would hate to be the one that had to polish it all the time. I have only seen one flower car with an upholstered rear (although Im sure there may be more out there), and I fell in love with it instantly so I can see that as a nice option for this one.

Back