'57 find!

15 months +/- ago I learned of a '57 S&S ambulance sitting in a building. Hasn't seen light of day in close to 40 years. Took me better part of decade to gradually appreciate '57 styling, to the point where this has become of my favorite years.

But I didn't know the exact location. A middleman was involved who hadn't seen this rig in years. He didn't have any pictures, merely going from memory. A friend was seriously interested if it was a high top. Any deal subsequently hinged on this actually being a high top. A low top ambulance or combination probably wouldn't be worth the time and money resurrection will take. Middleman was uncertain owner would sell, and the owner wasn't local to him either. A fair amount of effort has been spent arriving where we are.

For today that long awaited visit transpired and pictures were received.

931311_10151601743493221_1488390010_n.jpg

Success! Now headed to that friend's collection. Retrieval will happen in next couple weeks. Besides Larry Lawrence's '57 S&S combination in TX, are there any other known '57-'58 S&S parts cars in yards? Want to catalog where potential donors are.

And before anyone suggests this '57 is rotted beyond repair given proximity to floor, the body had been removed for restoration almost 40 years ago and has sat in the same spot since.

Looks like it needs a little love, doesn't it? But, how cool is it to see a rare ambulance that has been hiding for all of these years?

In late October 2011 I posted information regarding this '57 S&S Victoria for sale here in Fort Wayne. I have no idea if it sold or not, or even if it's still where I last saw it. I'm thinking that if you go far enough back in the PCS board archives you'll find my original post with contact information, if you're interested. Tom

Attachments

• 57_S_S_Victoria_01.jpg
    57_S_S_Victoria_01.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 281
  • 57_S_S_Victoria_02.jpg
    57_S_S_Victoria_02.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 271
  • 57_S_S_Victoria_03.jpg
    57_S_S_Victoria_03.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 275
  • 57_S_S_Victoria_04.jpg
    57_S_S_Victoria_04.jpg