PCS Member
Attached are a couple of pictures of the cot I found today. It is a
Ferno Washington. It folds in half. The wheels fold in by pushing a
tab on the wheel housing. The legs on the other end will fold in by
pushing a similar tab to that on the wheels. The legs will go to a
handle position (90 degrees from the down position) or they will go
to a 180 degree position. The cover seems to be a heavy rubber
coated canvas.
Ok experts, now tell me what did I find?
Mike

Attachments

• Ferno Washington folding cot 01.jpg
    Ferno Washington folding cot 01.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 260
  • Ferno Washington folding cot 02.jpg
    Ferno Washington folding cot 02.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 266
a black #11 you don't need it I have the mate to it up here and could use it in the stoner for the hangers.

It's a removal cot, we have one identical, we keep it on the compartment under the back driver side of the hearse.

I found one NOS inside the same compartment of a 1956 ambulance, since the ambulance never was used the folding cot was still in the washington cardboard box.

We call it a "house call cot". When we can't get the full size cot to the body, this allows us to carry the body out of a bedroom with a narrow door, we can stand on end to make tight corners in a hall way, or into a ditch near a vehicle accident. Once we can get to the regular cot, we strap the cot onto the regular cot..

As Bill said getting a deceased out of a tight spot,as when we did first calls with our removal service,how many times did you get back to the car and wonder how you pulled that one off,while you wiped the blood off your scraped knuckles..:respect:

We called them "road cots". They were invaluable in the older condos in South Florida without elevators. I have a funny story of a removal team navigating down a stairway without having tightened the straps enough. The attendant at the lower end had a unexpected passenger ride down on his shoulders (you can imagine the direction he was facing). Those were the day's when we made the removals in a funeral coach which drew attention. All the neighbors would come out on the terrace to watch. Ugh!

Along the same lines as "road cot", at a couple of ambulance services where I worked, they were called "highway stretchers". These were the ones that were hung from the ceiling on multi-patient runs. These usually only occured from traffic accidents with multiple patients. There were usually two of these #11's and one (not sure of model #) that had an elevating head to go on the floor next to the main cot. Walking wounded sat up front with the driver.

You did what you had to when the next closest ambulance was 30 miles away.

the elevated head is the the #9. the one with legs is the 10, the one with out legs or wheels is the 12. this one is the the 11 the Stoner came with 3 of them. two to hang and one to set in the wheel cups in the bench. you could get them in black ,gray orange and now of course in maroon. here is the proper use of 11 in Brendon's 63 ambulance. notice the one he has is tied to the frame. one other way to judge age. but just to show you how backward we were here. we used the back board to do all of our tight and or difficult extractions. the Ida of placing the pt in a full body splint and having good control with the best protection for them being the order of the day. of course we were not doing removals normally.

Attachments

• ferno #11 in place in a 63 superior.jpg
    ferno #11 in place in a 63 superior.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 196
So since these were used for removals, would it be safe to say that a straight hearse would have one on board at all times? If so, about what years were these used? Also, what would be a fair price for one, as far is how much $$ is too much? Ive came across these before but never really knew what they were for.

Model 11 pretty much standard on ambulances for years - we called them "slimlines" stored them in the trap door compartment under the rear floor - most truck based units had wheel cups and post holes for using them on the the squad bench

So since these were used for removals, would it be safe to say that a straight hearse would have one on board at all times? If so, about what years were these used? Also, what would be a fair price for one, as far is how much $$ is too much? Ive came across these before but never really knew what they were for.

just about everything you could carry a body on was used for removals. but I would venture that most places used one of the auto load gurneys for that propose. but now for me I'm only getting one if I can find it for 50 to 100. haven't given the 100 yet. got a 12 for 30 bucks. seen them for sale in the 300 to 600 range. I never checked to see if they sold for that. always passed on them. I don't think it would be normaly found on a hearse as it took two men to load. one could do it, but it would not be pretty

We called them "road cots" or "flat cots". When I was in Tulsa, we used them for backboarded patients (yes, it was redundant), for cardiac arrests without backboards (we did have the Thumper Board), and for hanging patients from the ceiling hooks. The #11 does fit in the wheel and post cups on the bench seat of '70s & '80's vans and box ambulances.

I have extras of some of these from different eras if anyone's looking for one.

Back