Do you have a fan clutch?

Just wanting to know how many PCS members have a fan clutch on their vehicle? I'm under the impression my Lifeliner should have a fan clutch but it does not. Does yours have one?

the fan clutch would not have anything to do with the leak. warm it up and cool it off a few times and if there is a poor solder joint it will open up. most of these cars had the fan changed to a flex one as that was the heavy duty cooling package. yours should be about a 12 or 14 blade flex fan. seen them as low as 5 blades. but while we are talking about them it's not the number of blades you have but the pitch of the blades that moves the air. the fan is designed to feather out a speed thus reducing the drag. but they are noise at low speeds.

Fan Clutch

the fan clutch would not have anything to do with the leak. warm it up and cool it off a few times and if there is a poor solder joint it will open up. most of these cars had the fan changed to a flex one as that was the heavy duty cooling package. yours should be about a 12 or 14 blade flex fan. seen them as low as 5 blades. but while we are talking about them it's not the number of blades you have but the pitch of the blades that moves the air. the fan is designed to feather out a speed thus reducing the drag. but they are noise at low speeds.

I ,ll get some pics from my 72 and post them with the fan in relation to the shroud # of blades etc. Nothing has been changed on this other than the water pump , belts and hoses by me. It has 30,000 miles on it so it is mostly original.

Attachments

• 364363143.jpg
    364363143.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 216
I checked my 1969 Miller Meteor Cadillac ambulance today, and it has a variable pitch fan blade without the clutch. When I checked the 1963 & 1964 FSM's, it said that all air conditioned cars had the fan clutch. Checking through parts books for a bunch of years, indicated that all A/C cars had fan clutches, including the CC. I didn't find a part number for the variable pitch fan blades. The mystery deepens.. The more I look at the reference books, the more confusing it gets. Now, it is going to come down to photos of original cars to verify what is correct and what is not.

Very confusing. My mechanic says my rig did not come with a clutch fan and will let the pictures decide. How about you M&M 73 model ambulances, do you have a clutch fan on yours?

Very confusing. My mechanic says my rig did not come with a clutch fan and will let the pictures decide. How about you M&M 73 model ambulances, do you have a clutch fan on yours?

OK I had to go pop the hood on the 73. I know I have been in there and looked but who remembers that kind of stuff. 7 blade flex fan with the long spacer to take up the spot the fan clutch would have been.

Attachments

• 1973.jpg
    1973.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 216
Back