Will this bumper work on my 73 Lifeliner?

That is a standard Cadillac center bumper section, and it will not fit, unless you do a lot of modification to it. This is what the correct bumper looks like for your car.. however, like R12 it isn't available for purchase without a proper license, and is very expensive!!:angel: Compare the pictures below and see if you can find any similarity in the two...

Attachments

• bumper1.jpg
    bumper1.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 172
  • bumper 2.jpg
    bumper 2.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 164
That is a standard Cadillac center bumper section, and it will not fit, unless you do a lot of modification to it. This is what the correct bumper looks like for your car.. however, like R12 it isn't available for purchase without a proper license, and is very expensive!!:angel: Compare the pictures below and see if you can find any similarity in the two...

Wrong car Paul, this would be for the 1973 Lifeliner.

My '73 Superior rear bumper (center section) looks exactly like the one you have pictured Richard.

The only difference, is that it has a rear step bolted to the underside and I'm not sure how your step is configured.

Forgive Paul, he has his moments... it's called "Sometimerz!";)

Onward and upward!

Rick

My vote is no

If that 1970 bumper happened to fit your 1972 (I know your car is titled as a 1973 but the rear bumper is not) the reverse light holes in the 1970 bumper would be too close to the center line. They look to be about where your step sides are located. Also, you may want to measure the height of the 1970 bumper and compare to yours. I think the 1970 will be too high.

No!

Richard!

Upon further examination, I too vote NO!

Sorry for getting your hopes up!

Rick

Bumpers

My hearse is a 1970, and my rear bumper looks nothing like the ebay picture... Mine looks more like Paul's photo, minus the lights.

The bumper blades are the same from 65-76 , 64 and down use a stock bumper with extensions between the the bumper ends and the tail lite housings. If the lights are in the taillight asy,s then the blade is not cut out for the back up light which is 65,66,67,68,69 .70, 71,72,73 have the backup lights to the left and rt of the license plate filler 74-75,76 use the intermediate Chevrolet station wagon taiights tail lite and the special die cast housing for the lights. The tail lite ends are unique in that they accept a stock tail lite lens but the housing is made to mate with the commercial bumper blade.In 74-76 the bumper end mates to the comerrcial blade with a adapter. There is also some differences on the bumper as Superior put the license plate on the rear door on some early 60,s models.

65- 69 Blade

70-73- Blade

74-76 -Blade

Attachments

• DCP_0422 - Copy.jpg
    DCP_0422 - Copy.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 122
  • DSC05267 - Copy.jpg
    DSC05267 - Copy.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 118
  • DSC06628.jpg
    DSC06628.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 119
come on now you told me that there was a plating shop just down the road from you . you told me you were going to stop in and ask them the cost of repair and re plating. or you were going to send it up and I would fix. time to get it done now.

come on now you told me that there was a plating shop just down the road from you . you told me you were going to stop in and ask them the cost of repair and re plating. or you were going to send it up and I would fix. time to get it done now.

I was hoping this would work but it will not. I will work on the rest of the car then come back to the bumper. Thanks for not letting me buy something that wouldn't work.

OK, What is a blade?:confused2: As far as I was aware, the center piece of a commercial bumper was the same 66-76, but not a full hi-top ambulance with a step. The step makes it quite different from a standard commercial bumper. I used parts from 4 different bumpers to make a 74 straight hearse. :eek:The main bars were from a 69. I cut the holes to match a 74 and bolted the proper lights right in. The mounting was different, but I made it work. It pays to work in a bodyshop. I have looked at lifeliner bumpers and noticed that the gap in the center is wider than a regular commercial bumper. As far as I can tell, you will have a hard time making this work without another ambulance bumper. :( Good luck.

I can always just :applause:wrap the bumper in new metal or as Ed has said many times, send it to him and he can fix it. May have to do that. Hey Ed, bring your tools to Ohio and we'll hold "Fixing Bumpers-101" in the lot.

the class might be a large as install 184s. there was only 10 total and only 2 stayed for the entire class me and you. your sending it to the paint shop drop the bumper separate it and take the two centers to the platter and ask him how much. you'll be so surprised you'll wounder why all the fuss.

Back