Tires for a 57 Eureka

Go with the Cooper tires. I would rather take the manufacturers recommendations over that of the tire salesman. Besides, they are less expensive. You didn't mention the load rating at what tire pressure, but I will assume it is the same as the B.F. Goodrich tire.

Spoke with Bill at Diamondback...Great Guy! He got into the books....found me a few options...he said they can be made with any size WW that I need. He instructed me to gut under the car and measure to see how much room I have, but he is pretty sure that a 265 75 15 will fit...

There is a BFG 265 75 15 it is 30.7" tall, 10.5 wide, load cap. 2242 @ 44psi...tires are 269 each +130 to to ship 4 of them.....BFG says it will fit 7.0-9.0" rim.

Another option is a Cooper tire: 265 75 15; 30.4" tall, 10.6" wide, load 2245, 244 ea + 130 to ship 4....The Cooper books says they will fir a 6.0-8.0" rim.

I don't like to push the envelope when it comes to safety...the Coopers are made to fit my wheel size, so I am leaning toward them...on the other hand, Bill said that the BFGs would work too...He said that the BFGs are a well made, quality tire...Any thoughts on putting a tire made to fit a 7-9" wheel on a 6" wheel?

Thanks

Go with Bill' recommendation, because he is the guy to stand behind the tire and it is a one on one relationship.

Back in April we put a set of Hankook Optimo H724 size P23575R15XL on the '64. It made a huge difference in the handling of the car. We can now drive it like it was intended to, be driven. Total cost for 4 tires mounted, balanced, and installed.......$346.24.

When Jeff had the car in Norwalk for the Fourth of July Parade a former owner of the car asked him "why the hell did you change out the tires?". It had "original" tires on it. That is correct. The tires we took off were 8/90's and N's. Those sizes make them at least 45 years old. We were driving the thing like a tire was gonna blow anytime. Trust me, that was no fun. Being scared of a blow out tearing hell out of things. Are the new tires period correct.....No. Do I feel better about them being on it....Absolutely!!!!! JMHO!!!

go with the coopers. with the other you would be putting a 10 in wide face in the space a 4 inch wide one went. most of the newer stuff is 6 inches wide

Go with the Cooper tires. I would rather take the manufacturers recommendations over that of the tire salesman. Besides, they are less expensive. You didn't mention the load rating at what tire pressure, but I will assume it is the same as the B.F. Goodrich tire.

The load rating for the Coopers is 2245; I am not sure about the psi needed to achieve that load rating.

I sure with them you will find it's around 35 to 40. if they will cut you any style white wall then we may have to give them a call. I have the L78s on the 72 with the correct white wall but they are a 1740 LB and a 29 in tire. bu I checked the oil change sticker we changed it after the 14 meet in Rochester. got just over 1000 miles on it since then. it's hard to go 1200 bucks for tires when the car need different things. when your putting so few miles on it. when we put the Ls on it they were not offering the 265s

I sure with them you will find it's around 35 to 40. if they will cut you any style white wall then we may have to give them a call. I have the L78s on the 72 with the correct white wall but they are a 1740 LB and a 29 in tire. bu I checked the oil change sticker we changed it after the 14 meet in Rochester. got just over 1000 miles on it since then. it's hard to go 1200 bucks for tires when the car need different things. when your putting so few miles on it. when we put the Ls on it they were not offering the 265s

I spoke with Bill, ext. 105...a PCS member referred me to him in this thread...Bill owns, Diamondback...The online catalog does not show their entire inventory...They can purchase pretty much any tire from a manufacturer/warehouse, and put a whitewall on it.... He told me that he could make the tires with any size whitewall that I requested...he has 2 3/4 or 2 7/8, 3" and larger for the real old cars (and smaller too, but I roll in late 50's coaches so I only took notes on those sizes)....
I would like to know, definitively, what size is actually correct. I realize that we are only talking about an 1/8 or a 1/4", but if the money is being spent, and they can be ordered, then why not get them done right? Does anyone know for sure what size? I was thinking 2 7/8 for a 1957 Cadillac....

Thanks!

IS anyone using the Hankook Optimo on a mid '50s coach?

I run Hankook on ALL my cars, and I know for sure all but one coach are Optimos, but without going out and looking I cant remember if the hankooks (from Diamondback) on my 49 are optimos or not, but most likely.

I went through the same thing when looking for bias ply tires for my '59 Comet Olds a while back. One thing to keep in mind is that the amount of whitewall that is actually visible will be less than the actual whitewall width, since a small portion of it will be covered by the rim.

I can't comment on '57's, but the information that I was able to obtain from various sources stated that in 1959, tires provided by Firestone, Goodyear, U.S. Royal and B.F. Goodrich had whitewalls that had "visible widths" after mounting, that ranged from 2 1/4 to 2 5/16". That would suggest to me that there was no standardized whitewall size in any given year, it would depend on the brand of the tire mounted on the car from the factory.

I ended up with Coker Classic H78-14's with a 2 1/2" whitewall. Once mounted, about 2 1/4" is showing. I have been very satisfied with them.

Back