Federal184H

I was told today by a retired Fire Capt from the 60's that
the series numbers denote changes in the mechanicals and parts.
That series A1 was the first production design, introduced around 1965. From there they went to the Series A2, Series A3, and finally the Series A4, the A4 production ended around 1990.

If anyone has any other insight,I would love to have it.

Jim: Not positive what an "A-3 and A-4" designates, but I recall the Federal 184's had two different spin speeds. MM

Your right Mike,one of the tricks was to put a rubber grommet over the drive spindle which caused the light to spin faster......

and the other trick was to flip one end of the drive belt into a figure eight-it would cause the light to speed up and rotate in opposite direction.....

I know for a fact that this worked, on the CJ184's at least, as one of the companies I worked for did this to all their rigs....

The CJ's are another animal than a 184. No drive belt on the regular. I too think the series denotes changes of the internals. Over the years there were changes in motors, gear boxes and bulb holders. Supposedly production did end around 1990 but I do know of a 1996 Sutphen that was delivered with new twin 184's.

piece of rubber hose would help

At my agency, we used the 184's up til 1990. As far as the above mentioned spindle is concerned, we took a garden hose and cut it into one inch pieces and slid it over the spindle to make the light spin many times faster.
Good question I must say.
Kev

I was told that the A1 & A2 had chrome plated brass skirts, and then the A3 changed to stainless steel. The A4, they changed the bulb holders. There was some tweaking to the mechanicals each time also, but not certain exactly what they were.

Back