Ambulance sign bulbs

James Fischer

PCS Member
I recieved the ambulance sign light bar from Paul Newman (thanks Paul) today...
Could someone shed some "light" on what size(1141 perhaps ?) automotive bulbs were used in the 4 sockets ??
Thanks in advance !

and if it is a 2 post bulb it is probably a 1157.. I did not take one out before i shipped it but at qwick glance i figured they appeared to be standard 1156 or 1157.

The 1157 is a tail lamp / stop lamp bulb, and the pins located on the side of the bulbs, one is higher than the other, so it will not fit into the socket. They also have 2 solder terminals on the bottom vs. one for the 1156 or 1141. The difference between a 1156 and a 1141 is the candlepower. The 1156 produces 32 candle power while the 1141 produces 21. Too high a candlepower will give you a brighter light, but it will also yellow or melt the plastic sign. If you want brightness, then use LED bulbs

The 1157 is a tail lamp / stop lamp bulb, and the pins located on the side of the bulbs, one is higher than the other, so it will not fit into the socket. They also have 2 solder terminals on the bottom vs. one for the 1156 or 1141. The difference between a 1156 and a 1141 is the candlepower. The 1156 produces 32 candle power while the 1141 produces 21. Too high a candlepower will give you a brighter light, but it will also yellow or melt the plastic sign. If you want brightness, then use LED bulbs

I bought some neat bulbs few years ago at a truck stop. They were like the 1156 and 1157 but light part was LED. I have never found use for them yet. They look cool though.

James,

Could you post a picture of the ambulance sign light bar?

Jean-Marc,

I do not have a picture at the moment but it is identical to the one from a previous discussion here.....for lack of a better picture here is the one you posted...but I am sure you know that !!
But just in case others may want to see it......

attachment.php

Back