Out of Hibernation

Brendan Martin

PCS Member
We are finally seeing some nice weather here in Rhode Island. So I took the opportunity and pulled the 63 Superior Cadillac and Jen's 66 Ford Mustang Coupe out of their long slumber in our garage. They both stated easily and ran well! Our new lane way is still gravel for another month or so, and still has some puddles and mud, which prevented a cruise. Despite this it was still great to wake them up. Here are some lousy cell phone pics of the 63.

Attachments

• image-3884313838.jpg
    image-3884313838.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 418
  • image-2955432400.jpg
    image-2955432400.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 420
  • image-1743769011.jpg
    image-1743769011.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 413
You beat me to it....

Strange that Brendan should start this thread while we were outside messing with the '64. After spending a long winter in the confines of our heated garage, I got her out last Sunday and ran it for about 30 minutes in the driveway.

Today, we got it out and finally got the "new" Beacon mounted. The light I got from Rocky had a skirt that was cut and sized perfectly for this car. The light is an "old style" Beacon (small dome) and is period correct for the car. The only thing I did was change out the bulbs and dome for the set-up I always ran on our cars, Clear dome, 2 reds, 1 white bulb(s).

Next up is tracking down the period correct equipment for it that we need. She has an appointment with the "carb doctor" in 2 weeks to get the carb properly tuned and running smooth. Then we move on to all of the other things we want to do.

Here's a couple photos of the end result of the Beacon work.....

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 355
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 364
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 331
I TOO brought the Eureka out of hibernation today, after charging the battery she started right up, pulled her out into the spring sunshine and give her a bath. then I sat down with a beer and stared at her for an hour ! Pulled her back in til I get the new sticker for her this week. then I pulled the Austin Mini out washed her and took her out for a drive

another perfect day !!

we went up and got the 86 out of storage today also. the thing I like about letting them sit for a time is when you jump in and go you feel like it new to you again. now to get the other 2 home.

Attachments

• IMG_0027.jpg
    IMG_0027.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 288
As of Saturday, all mine have been woken up and taken for drives. I got a couple out a week or two ago. The only one that needed a battery charge was the 85 Superior (all the computer stuff drains it over the 6 month sleep).

Strange that Brendan should start this thread while we were outside messing with the '64. After spending a long winter in the confines of our heated garage, I got her out last Sunday and ran it for about 30 minutes in the driveway.

Today, we got it out and finally got the "new" Beacon mounted. The light I got from Rocky had a skirt that was cut and sized perfectly for this car. The light is an "old style" Beacon (small dome) and is period correct for the car. The only thing I did was change out the bulbs and dome for the set-up I always ran on our cars, Clear dome, 2 reds, 1 white bulb(s).

Next up is tracking down the period correct equipment for it that we need. She has an appointment with the "carb doctor" in 2 weeks to get the carb properly tuned and running smooth. Then we move on to all of the other things we want to do.

Here's a couple photos of the end result of the Beacon work.....

First of all, What the hell was I thinking when I sold him this car?
Secondly, while I didn't take a picture, I too woke the sleeping yesterday. I fired up the 66 Pontiac with a new battery. Still have to get one for the 64. Weather here has been beautiful after a horrible winter. Sadly, they are predicting snow for tomorrow after 80 yesterday.

Cars in western Washington dont go into hibernation. They only take extended naps. As soon as you see some sun, the cars come out. Took the 65 Caddy out the other day & was stopped at a traffic light next to a 59 Caddy Flat top Sedan.:biker::biker:

First of all, What the hell was I thinking when I sold him this car?
Secondly, while I didn't take a picture, I too woke the sleeping yesterday. I fired up the 66 Pontiac with a new battery. Still have to get one for the 64. Weather here has been beautiful after a horrible winter. Sadly, they are predicting snow for tomorrow after 80 yesterday.

What you were thinking was that you needed to make some room, something had to go, I have some history with it, and you knew Barb and I would take good care of it. Besides all of that.....WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU THINKING WHEN YOU SOLD IT TO US????? :D:D:D

We love it, it's a lot of fun to work on, the grandkids enjoy it immensely, and as soon as I get the carb worked on and get tires on it it's got a very busy schedule of events this summer. I've got a set of Hankook tires on lay-away, but I just can't bring myself to put foreign tires on this beautiful car. Fact is, our new Explorer has Hankooks on it, and they are probably gonna get switched for Goodyears or Coopers. Just can't get past all of it!!!

Right after these photos were taken, Zach and Austin got in it and after he flipped the siren/horn switch, Zach "conned" Austin in to tieing the Q wide open. EVERYBODY heard that one, a few minutes later the local PD made a slow "drive-by" checkiing it out.

Thanks Ron!!!!!

What you were thinking was that you needed to make some room, something had to go, I have some history with it, and you knew Barb and I would take good care of it. Besides all of that.....WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU THINKING WHEN YOU SOLD IT TO US????? :D:D:D

We love it, it's a lot of fun to work on, the grandkids enjoy it immensely, and as soon as I get the carb worked on and get tires on it it's got a very busy schedule of events this summer. I've got a set of Hankook tires on lay-away, but I just can't bring myself to put foreign tires on this beautiful car. Fact is, our new Explorer has Hankooks on it, and they are probably gonna get switched for Goodyears or Coopers. Just can't get past all of it!!!

Right after these photos were taken, Zach and Austin got in it and after he flipped the siren/horn switch, Zach "conned" Austin in to tieing the Q wide open. EVERYBODY heard that one, a few minutes later the local PD made a slow "drive-by" checkiing it out.

Thanks Ron!!!!!

Just so you know, I run Hankooks on my cars and have found them to be the best tires Ive ever had. They wear forever. Even the 4 inch wide whites on my 49 are 75,000 mile Hankooks, they are 9 years old, get about 5,000 miles a year, and still look new,

Hankooks

I second what John says about the Hankooks...

I have them on both my ambulances,with no issues and the ride is very nice.

I also have a set on my 60 Caddy and on my 94 "everyday Deville" (they are also WW and have over 32k on them with no wear showing)

Over all a great value and very happy with them...:thumbsup:

you could go back to the 890 x 15 8 ply that belong on the car. now they are only in 3 or 5 in whites and have the Firestone label on them. like all the rest are most likely made in china to. I haven't unwraped them yet as we are not ready to put them on. they run about 200 bucks each from coker or universal.

Back