best way to sell an PCS ambulance ?

I am looking for advice, honest advice please, so even if interested in the sale I am asking about, I ask and trust as a PCS member you could or would give me honest advice. I am not wanting people to tell me who or how much to sell the car to in order to lose on the deal.

I have a 1969 Chev Suburban National ambulance I am looking at selling. It is red and white. It is in excellent condition, restored, showroom finish display with excellent chrome and attention to many exterior details. only thing that needs some attention is to finish off the interior headliners. It is fullt equipped and all emergency systems work. I have shown this truck at car shows and won several awards to give you an idea of the condition it is in. It has never made it to a PCS meet yet.
It runs well. Has around 60,000 miles on it. a few aftermarket changes were done before I got it such as dual exhaust and some engine dress up parts to show flashy chrome, as well as electrial rewired front to back.

I am looking at POSSIBLY selling it, I say possibly as I am still wondering if I would regret the sale of it.
I don't need the money, I just am finding I don't use it that much. and think it deserves a collector who could give it more attention.

So my question is, if you were to sell a pro car, what is the best way or the ways to list it for sale? list it here on the classified forum ? ebay ? kijiji ?
looking for your expert advice.
I am not going to give it away, I know how much I got into the car and I have an appraisal done in 2008, and looking at getting a current one done to know true value right now.

any advice would be greatly appreciated and welcomed.

delivery available

also should note that delivery of this car is available anywhere in Canada or the USA if required, should a fair and reasonable price be agreed on for the delivery expenses.
I own an open flat bed custom trailer made to haul the ambulance, and have a 3/4 ton dodge to pull it anywhere the road can take me.

so where ever the truck is listed for sale, this option to deliver can be advertised also.

I think posting on the PCS site is a good way to market it directly to the best audience for the type of vehicle. I do also like eBay however, as it gets a lot of exposure. Craigslist is okay, but I get more spam than real interest.

Also, there is no cost for posting here or Craigslist, and a very small fee for listing it on eBay. Things like Hemmings and Old Car Trader were expensive last I checked if you're really on the fence about selling it. I actually put a car on eBay this week that I changed my mind about selling and removed the listing. I think it only cost me about $1.50 to do that, which I can live with.

I would say what I always say.... "Be patient."

If you do decide to sell it, I hope you would offer it first on the PCS site here. Let your club-mates have first shot at it. We are, after all, the ones who are here because we are most likely to preserve and protect it.

That may take some time, and people may not be rushing to buy. The downside to this is that the people who are here, are here because they may already have a pro-car (or pro-cars) and may not be able to add another.

If given some time on this site and there are no takers, then you could list it on e-bay. Put a reasonable price on it, not so high that nobody will buy it, but not so low that the customizers and cut-uppers can afford to trash it either.

My real advice? You already own it and you've already fixed it up - keep it and take it out more! :cool:

Remember, you asked! :rolleyes:

thanks gentlemen, great food for thought. yes, Steve, I asked,and I have no problem accepting anybody's thoughts and replies, in fact I greatly appreciate all of them and never have a problem accepting honest comments and thoughts from people.

I guess I am having a hard time determining an asking price, you make a good point about too high and too low. everybody's idea of " looked after" is different, however mine is of a high standard and therefore my asking price will probably represent this fact. everything I own is babied and looked after, detailed, preserved and respected. This pro car even has its own custom built / garage / showroom...............patience will prevail and the answers will hopefully come to me !

great ideas so far. thanks and keep them coming.

Sold my car at - 1967 Cadillac Superior ambulance on - ClassicCars.com. For Sale for about 8 months on their site with about 50 inquires, 20 very serious. I ended up with close to what I wanted and it was well worth the $100 to post the ad. I also posted my ad on this forum but did not garner a lot of buying interest. :my2cents:

with our publication coming out now every two months I would suggest that rout. it truly would get you more exposure to people that would be interested in that type of rig. ones that may be willing to pay a little more for one ready to go. the advantage here is getting to post a few pictures of it then as members see it they can spread the word. the other online spots are to move it if you need to. but me I can't sell ice water in hell so this advice might be useless.

I agree with the advice already given. Personally, I just sold my '68 Miller Meteor Cadillac on Craigslist, with multiple responses. I really wanted it to stay within The PCS, so I offered it here first, for a PCS price, but it did not sell. If I had not sold it, I would be putting it on ebay, I have had good success there.

One thing I know for sure is that what you think your car is worth, might be more than a potential buyer thinks it is worth, but that is normal. When I buy, I am trying to pay what I feel it is worth to me. When I sell, I like to feel that I got a fair price. What we have invested, really has nothing to do with a car's actual value. And I tend to dismiss appraisals. Just figure out how much you are willing to take and enjoy the ambulance in the meanwhile.

I think Steve said it best about patience. Remember that where ever you list it, if and when, there will be low ballers. Many low ballers. It may take a long time.
Me, I say take it to the next level and enjoy it more. Sounds like you have a LOT invested!

I personally sold one of my emergency vehicle overseas without any ads. But I go with Steve, patiente is your best friend. You're better on a website or old style catalog for a long time than one with 1 week bids. Serious buyers are usually not every day on Ebay, that's the same way if you park it with a for sale sign, if THE buyer lives somewhere else he will not see it except if he pass by there once a year. No matter if you have the price wanted or not, I think if you love your car it's better to sell to less to a real addict that will keep it and shine it and use it than an empty sale to someone who will park it and let it rot somewhere.

I re-read the original post and feel I have to add. Apraisal is good from an insurance stand point. But, its only worth what someone is willing to pay. Now before you get your hackles up at me, here me out.
I have a very well documented and very rare '85 Eureka limousine style hearse. What's it worth? Hey its a hearse. Real world. Probably not what I think its worth. PCSers will scoff its a Canadian Eureka, and not show any interest.
But to me. Its like my guns. "you can pry it from my cold dead hands".
Just my .02 worth. Hope your not mad at me. Good luck no matter what. Still say take it to the next level.

hey Peter I'm the biggest Eureka Coach Company fan there is just ask me !!! lol to me it doesn't matter what the insurance company says its worth... to me my 87 Eureka is priceless. John if I were you I would hang on to your rig until you find someone you feel comfortable with that you know will not destory what you have built. Too many times people sell thier beloved car just for the money just to find out later that it was parted out or ran into ground......now that would be sad.

I have a very well documented and very rare '85 Eureka limousine style hearse. What's it worth? Hey its a hearse. Real world. Probably not what I think its worth. PCSers will scoff its a Canadian Eureka, and not show any interest.
But to me. Its like my guns. "you can pry it from my cold dead hands".
Just my .02 worth. Hope your not mad at me. Good luck no matter what. Still say take it to the next level.

Peter: wait for another 10-15 years when all Tom's Eureka's are gone because no one likes them now........ who will be laughing then ???

YOU and ME my friend :thumbsup:

When I sold my Lifeliner I casually put the word out to PCS peeps. I also made it known the car was available when I took it to the Kingsport meet. I had two prices in mind. The lower was a "friend" price, somebody that I knew would care for the car. The higher for those I did not know. I had mixed reactions on both prices. I ended up listing the car on eBay! got more than I expected. The car sold to a former PCS member and is well cared for.

Peter: wait for another 10-15 years when all Tom's Eureka's are gone because no one likes them now........ who will be laughing then ???

YOU and ME my friend :thumbsup:
hey mike, i love my eureka too. might not have been made in canada and it is a caprice, but i can go anywhere in it and look good.

Back