My 1960 S/S Victoria 3way in use yesterday

Darren Bedford

PCS Member
A friend of mine for the last 20 years or so passed away March 16th 2014 after a couple year battle with cancer. He was 57 years old.

He lived and worked in Michigan and was very well known in the community.
He owned a huge bicycle shop and was known worldwide as a Schwinn bicycle guru and the go-to guy for historical knowledge. They called him "BicycleDon". He worked in that bicycle shop for over 40 years starting as a teenager and then owning it. He always had hundreds of bikes on display ready to ride. It was a old furniture store with lots of room !

Besides being a bicycle guru, he was a real car guy and had owned some very cool cars in his time. He spent a lot of his teenage years at the Detroit Drag strip and loved everything cars.

His very first car was a 1960 Cadillac and later owned a 1960 Cadillac convertible. He knew a lot about Cadillacs and has been driving them for the last 10 years as well.

I had my 1962 MM Landau and my 1960 S/S 3way shipped to his house when I bought them. Then went down and cleared customs and drove them home from there.

When he saw the 1960 arrive on the car hauler, he said it brought back memories of his 1960 Cadillacs and he talked about them proudly.

He was a car culture guy loving Rat Fink, pinstripping, hot rods, engines, speed parts, etc.

A couple weeks ago he sent me a note asking if I would bring down the 1960 hearse for his last ride when the time came. I replied saying I would have it there for him. He replied saying he had a smile from ear to ear and there are some tears too. He said he was so happy I would bring the 1960 for his final ride. He also sent a note saying he hopes it will be a long time before he needed that ride.

As it turned out that ride was required just a week later.

Well, keeping my word, I got the 1960 out of winter storage and headed to Michigan with my 54 year old baby. I headed down on March 18th.

I was extremely worried about driving my pride and joy in the winter with the weather being very random this year. I was so worried about road salt !

It turned out not to bad at all and as soon as I arrived I stopped at the spray it yourself type car wash and washed off the little that was on the car.
The next morning, I washed it again just because and got the car ready for the funeral.

The day was quite nice and he was loaded into the hearse and driven to the cemetery. After the reception following the funeral, I drove back to put the car back into the garage.

The drive home was awesome with dry roads the whole way. No salt on the way home.

The car was flawless and drove like a couple year old car, not a 54 year old car. I was thrilled !

The hearse was a photo opp constantly before the funeral including along the procession route.

I was very surprised as we were driving the procession route that the tire shop Don bought his car tires from had two vintage Schwinn bicycles set out on the sidewalk in front of the shop to show support for a lost friend. Very cool indeed ! :thumbsup:

I was very pleased I was able to provide the last ride to a friend, car guy and lover of Cadillacs, in his favorite year, a 1960 Cadillac.

I wish that little bit of salt never touched my car but in general, it was very little and much better than it could have been.

Rest in peace Don !
You will be missed brother,
Darren

P.S. I met a man at the funeral who says he visits this site and loves all old cars. He mentioned the Professional Car Society by name ! Small world !

I would post photos but for some reason I am no longer able to. :confused:

Last edited:
Very cool story. I am glad you didn't have bad weather, would have been horrible to drive such a nice car through all of that crap. I am sure your friend appreciated your good gesture, very nice of you.

You probably can't post photos because your site supporter status has run out.... :(

Darren, sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. We will hold you all in our thoughts and prayers. As to you giving him his "final ride" in your hearse, all I can say is.....Class, Pure Class!!!!

friend

all i can tell you is i would hope that i had a friend like you for when my time comes. first class darren. makes me proud to know you. made my day. every time i get sick of all the bad stuff in this old world a story like this pops up and makes the world a little brighter for a little while. thanks for the story and god bless your friend.

the salt will wash off the memories of doing this last a lot of lifetimes. a lot of people will remember this. :applause:

I'm sorry you lost your friend, Darren. May he rest in peace. Motor Muster at Greenfield Village every June hosts bicycles as well as cars & trucks. I can't imagine your friend didn't participate in that. For what it's worth, it looks as if my '53 Eureka Flower Car will see the light of day this year and exhibit at Motor Muster, Father's Day weekend, June 14.

I guess my super site supporter did expired. I just renewed and can post again.

Here are some photos of my 1960 S/S Victoria 3way at the funeral.

Also note the drawing a little girl did and placed in the casket with Don...
It shows Don on a bicycle and says... " I love you, Kallie... " SORRY YOU DIED "
You gotta love kids eh !

I drove over 600 miles to provide the hearse for my friend and spent over 300.00 in gas alone.

The photos now,
Darren

Attachments

• bd 0.jpg
    bd 0.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 245
  • bd 1.jpg
    bd 1.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 243
  • bd 2.jpg
    bd 2.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 244
  • bd 3.jpg
    bd 3.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 242
  • bd 4.jpg
    bd 4.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 241
  • bd 5.jpg
    bd 5.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 241
  • bd 8.jpg
    bd 8.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 236
Darren, I am sorry to hear about your friend. It is a wonderful deed you did for him, I am sure he did appreciate it. By the way, your 60 is gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous!

Darren...so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. Never an easy time. Obviously he respected you as well to honor you with his last ride. Very noble.

Hopefully the last act for your buddy will always put a smile on your face. Well done and thanks for showing the PCS in such a classy way.

I too am sorry for the loss of your friend. Although a sad time, it is always nice to be able to do this for a friend. Its something you will never forget. I had to use my coaches twice last year for friends, so I know the sad but honored feeling it gives you knowing someone wanted to use your car for their final journey.

My dad wanted me to use my coach for his funeral but my overbearing control freak older brother wouldnt let me do that, among other things he wouldnt allow for the service that Dad wanted. One lesson learned was if anyone wants something like this, even if its a family member, have them put it in writing ! and SIGN IT ! At least that way, THEIR wishes are known!

Darren
sorry for the loss of your friend. I know you have told me lots about him in the past and will be missed so much. I wish I could of had a chance to meet him. He seems like a brother from a different mother.

I commend you for doing that. I hope if and when I pass that I still have my buddies around to either drive my cars or bring their rides to my final ride.

I would love to go riding a vintage hearse. The only thing that would make me happier is some smoke rolling out from the wheel wells as im heading from the funeral home to the cemetery.

Darren
sorry for the loss of your friend. I know you have told me lots about him in the past and will be missed so much. I wish I could of had a chance to meet him. He seems like a brother from a different mother.

I commend you for doing that. I hope if and when I pass that I still have my buddies around to either drive my cars or bring their rides to my final ride.

I would love to go riding a vintage hearse. The only thing that would make me happier is some smoke rolling out from the wheel wells as im heading from the funeral home to the cemetery.

Be careful what you ask for, Rocky!

I hope if and when I pass that I still have my buddies around to either drive my cars or bring their rides to my final ride.

Rocky, I cant help you with the burnout, but I can give you the vintage coach and can fire the flamethrowers for your funeral.

Back