New coach(es)!!!

Sure has been a busy couple weeks... working 50+ hours a week and doing car retrievals on weekends. This past weekend I drove the Buick-Eagle to WV and traded it for this 1974 Cadillac-Superior combination...

IMG_151373521527837_zps4cd18d60.jpeg

Hearse mode:

received_m_mid_1393057122412_c30d102d86b65bff16_2_zps80d28586.jpeg

Weekend before... road trip to Georgia to get my "new" 2000 Crown Victoria Interceptor from Danny Ryder, affectionately named "Okra" :rolleyes:

20140318_151834_zpsee192dcd.jpg

Title of this thread is PLURAL... so stay tuned as to what coach follows me home this coming weekend...

The long door Crown Vic is a rare one indeed. Same platform as teh Town Car L series. 6 inches of extra rear leg room. Mainly for taxi/ livery use

The Crown Vic i've had my eye on since Danny bought it a couple years ago. Gas mileage is VERY impressive... and so is the performance. This one is a true P71 Interceptor and Danny bought it for his personal car. It was a Georgia Forestry commander's car so it has the more plush interior, never had a cage, and doesn't seem to have been ran to death. Danny added performance exhaust at some point so it has a nice sound, I added the stainless trim rings. Enjoying it daily and keeping miles off the Jeep.

The Long Door P-70 is an interesting car some were actually made with LX trim and shipped to the Middle East. The car has a longer rear door and wheelbase and was made mostly for NYC cab market. Featured a rear AC unit the same as the long door Town Car. Also double sun visors not found on other CVs. Quite interesting is add cop car tires and it actually handles better than the P-71 cop car. The rear axel ratio is less aggressive than the P-71 for better gas mileage but I personally see no performance difference. I have had cops comment why didn't they make the cop car the same more room for guests.My personal P-70s are two consecutively serial numbered 03s black from new obtained from a Cary Transportation franchise these two along with a Long Door Town Car are the everyday drivers. In all my years in the cop car business I have not seen cars that hold up like the 98 to 11 Crown Vics and Town Cars. The 440 Furys of the 70s and the 94 to 96 LT-1 Caprices were the performers but the Crown Vic is the long lived.

The Long Door P-70 is an interesting car some were actually made with LX trim and shipped to the Middle East. The car has a longer rear door and wheelbase and was made mostly for NYC cab market. Featured a rear AC unit the same as the long door Town Car. Also double sun visors not found on other CVs. Quite interesting is add cop car tires and it actually handles better than the P-71 cop car. The rear axel ratio is less aggressive than the P-71 for better gas mileage but I personally see no performance difference. I have had cops comment why didn't they make the cop car the same more room for guests.My personal P-70s are two consecutively serial numbered 03s black from new obtained from a Cary Transportation franchise these two along with a Long Door Town Car are the everyday drivers. In all my years in the cop car business I have not seen cars that hold up like the 98 to 11 Crown Vics and Town Cars. The 440 Furys of the 70s and the 94 to 96 LT-1 Caprices were the performers but the Crown Vic is the long lived.

Glad to hear someone else here knows about the long door Crown Vics! (with apologies to Dwayne for getting off his topic a bit) I spotted a lot of these in taxi form during a long weekend in NYC back in '04 or '05. I even saw two livery models: one black and one dark gray, and thought now THAT would be an interesting CV to have! I didn't know they had a P70 model designation. Pete, do you or anyone else tuned in here know what years these long doors were produced and any idea of the production figures?

I agree with Peter. The Crown Vic/Town car is one of the most durable ever. Our Livery Fleet has 3 2013 Chrysler 300 Livery Cars, 1 09 DTS and 4 06-11 Town Car Ls that range from 40,000 to 310,000 miles. we are sure gonna miss them!

The long door CVs were made from 03 to the end in 2011 Ford never seemed to push the sale of them. I do believe the majority went to NYC and they were conceived I think for NYC. There was brief talk of another entity buying the dies and continuing the build but it never happened. My personal cars have the following miles 03 long doors #1 326K #2 371K and the 06 Town Car L 436K they all drive as if they have 60K. Yes when I was in NYC for the movie shoot with my Hearse I did see a couple of colored (not yellow) Long Doors go by. So they still are active in NYC till the year limit does them in. I understand the Crown Vics got an extention to 2015 for yellow cabs. One interesting footnote and why most "Black Cars" are Town Cars and not Crown Vics is the insurance for the Town Cars is half of the cost for a Crown Vic. No one has been able to explain this to me but thats the way it is.

I never knew about the long doors. Now I wonder if Superior used the long doors for their Crown Vic based hearses. I know that the stretch is in the door, so it would have made it easier. Anyone know the length of the long door so I can compare to the Superior Regent door?

Back