Hearse owners on the rise?

There is nothing disrespectful about the term "hearse". I have a photo of my Great-Grandfather driving a horse-drawn "hearse" in 1917. I assure you that no one back then would have referred to it as anything other than a "hearse". If you take issue with the word "hearse" and find it disrespectful, then that's just your issue.

I do not, personally, promote modifications of any kind to our hearses and ambulances. Just not my thing. I like them as they rolled out the factory door. In fact, I think that we should be stricter(and more consistent) when it comes to our judging of the cars themselves. I do not, however, have a problem with members displaying appropriate and period-correct funeral procession related antiques(no embalming machines, etc.) with our coaches at OUR PCS meets. Combined meets(AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club, etc.) would be a different issue.

I understand the reasoning behind the rule allowing emergency equipment in ambulances as they would be part of how the car was delivered new. I also understand the reasoning that the casket is not something that would have supplied with the car when delivered new. I do not go along with the ghoulish props being displayed unless its part of a halloween display that is not a PCS function. I have never understood WHY flowers are allowed in flower cars since they did not get delivered to the customer that way. I understand that the club reasoning is they give the cars a better visual appeal. my personal feelings on caskets?......it depends on the show and it would have to be a tasteful and proper display, not ghoulish. Flowers on a flower car?....makes no difference to me.

Ambulance cot vs. casket displayed in PCS cars

Short version:

An ambulance cot, while removable, was attached to an ambulance or combination. It belonged with the car, and to the car's owner (ambulance service and/or funeral home). The purpose of an ambulance was to transport a patient, for which a cot was required.

A casket, however, belonged to the "customer" and was different every time. It only occupied the car temporarily. It did not belong with the vehicle, and no longer belonged to the vehicle's owner (funeral home). The main purpose of a hearse was to transport casketed remains, for which the only required appurtenances were bier pins.

The only reason I joined the PCS was the fact that they did NOT allow custom or modified Professional Cars in the club. .

Just to clarify, there is NO rules saying you cannot show a modified or custom professional car at a PCS event. You will just loose points for authenticity. Its the bazaar, morbid, type things that are not allowed (skulls, Halloween props, caskets, bodies, skeletons, things like that). There has been many custom cars shown in the PCS events.

Kurt
I never said I find the word HEARSE disrespectful. I know the term has been used since the 1800''s. and thats fine I personally perfer the term Funeral Coach I personally think its more dignified thats all.....no big deal to each his own !

and I also agree with you in saying that I wouldn't have a problem with members displaying appropriate and period- correct Funeral procession related antiques with our cars at PCS meets ( flags, church trucks etc.) If nothing else but to educate the public,
JUST NO CASKETS !

maybe we should take a vote on this ??

wow Kurt and I agreed on something !!!! lol

When I first started attending PCS events, I also asked why caskets weren't allowed, but ambulances could display all their accessories. I was told because you could buy an ambulance fully equipped, but you did not buy a hearse with a casket included. Makes sense to me.

And while I love Halloween, and don't mind seeing decorations in October as long as they do not damage the car, they seem ridiculous when the car is still being displayed with them in January or June.

We had, I believe, over 70 cars at the Milwaukee Concours last year during the International Meet. They stated that they had actually wanted to include some hearses in their show for a few years, but did not know how to go about it without getting all of the ghoulish Halloween displays and caskets that they usually saw with the cars. Our club was actually welcomed by them when Patrick told them PCS does not allow that, and our cars were displayed next to Ferraris, Aston Martins, Rolls Royces, Duesenbergs, and CCCA Full Classics, and we have been invited back again next year. Although we had to explain to them that we would not be able to provide anywhere near that amount of cars every year.

On the other hand, there is a local hearse club here that not only allows but encourages Halloween displays and caskets. For a few years, they displayed at a local cruise night that just happened to have a small cemetery on the street. They went all out for their displays. Due to the number of complaints about the caskets and decorations, they have now been banned from displaying their cars there.

So which club would you rather be a member of? One that cannot display their cars at a local cruise night where even the tackiest, worst quality homemade customs are allowed, or one that has actually been invited back to a prestigious concours event to display next to Duesenbergs and Ferraris?

And, if you really want to display caskets and Halloween decorations, I really don't understand why someone wouldn't just join one of the many clubs that focus on that instead of trying to change the one club that is for the stock preservation of the cars.

Well said. :applause::applause::applause:

as for flowers on a flower car. bring it up there are no rules that can't be changed by a majority of board members present. the no mannequins rule is in force also. I have a couple of them. we don't set up a display of related equipment with the cars at our events. once again this type of trays and car hop mannequins are neat at the locale rod run. not at the PS event. the mannequins I have see at a PCS event are horses. ambulance equipment is not displayed around or about the car. it may be stored in it's proper place in the car. but the event is about the car not how much you spend in equipping the car. all this doesn't mean you can't stylize the car a little bit just for you and the amusement of other people. it just means tone it down and keep the car the focus point of the show. not how much you spent on wheels

Attachments

• IMG_5155.jpg
    IMG_5155.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 101
Back