Ambulance Etched Glass Patterns

Kurt Arends

PCS Elected Director 2021-2024
Has anyone ever made any patterns of the etched glass used in Miller Meteor ambulances from 1959 thru 1964?

'63-'64 etchings were mundane stripes.

dsc03719f.jpg

Miller Meteor Ambulance Etched Glass

The doors were not just plain stripes! The door etched glass patern is what I am trying to find as the door glass is what always broke and was then replaced with plain glass. I have access to a door glass with a single crack, but would rather not buy broken glass for a pattern if someone else has already made a pattern.

Psst! You hadn't mentioned etched door glass first time around. :p

I've paid $50 before for cracked plain flat glass to use as a pattern. Using a half roll of packing tape in opposite crosshatch patterns on either side relieves stress while allowing for safe shipping intact (after bubble wrap). If it's in your sales area where pick up is possible, no brainer.

Just make sure it is the design you need as they changed almost annually. ;)

Kurt, I think the answer is, as far as we know, nobody has made a pattern - or if they have, they haven't made it available.

But I think what you are really looking for isn't the pattern as much as a replacement piece of glass. A couple of us do grab parts from various ambulances we see in junkyards. I buy etched window glass when I see it, though I don't have anything '59-'64.

If you tell us what year (since they are indeed different each year) and what side you're looking for, perhaps someone else here actually has an intact etched glass they'd be willing to sell.

take a piece of clear shelving paper. lay it on either side so you have the sun between you and trace it out. be sure and measure up were the first line goes so you know were it should be and you got it. it takes you longer to lay it out then it does to etch it.

When Francois Gamache broke the door window of his '56 Superior Rescuer he just used the opposite window as a pattern but he told me that the guy who do the etched job needed only a picture to re-do it. Since he got the car and the window mesurements he could enlarge the picture and create a pattern.

On the '60 Milller-Meteor in question, both side doors have been replaced with clear glass. I do not have a piece of glass to make a pattern from. I assumed, based on photos that I have seen, that the door etchings were the same from '59 thru '64 on Miller-Meteor ambulances. The cracked glass that I had mentioned having access to is on a '63 Paramount. I agree with Ed on making a pattern from an original piece of glass as opposed to making a pattern from a photo. If anyone has original etched ambulance door glass, one or both, from a '60 M-M that they would be interested in selling, I would be very interested.

all you need is someone that can trace you a pattern. off there glass. a piece of butcher paper cut to fit the glass and a strong light is all you need to trace the pattern. tape the paper to the top edge of the glass so that you have a edge to work from and away you go.

Back