Civil Defense logos

You have to think like a government worker. The lightning bolt probably indicates that you are a electrician or telecommunications vehicle.

It means Civil Defense Messenger. I have a lot of Civil Defense stuff, I think it's more catchy than Emergency Management. In fact, I have a borough civil defense MT500 on my desk. I should probably give it back, but since the frequency was defunct on 1/1, and it doesn't seem to work after the 20hrs it spent in my coat during TS Lee.. I think I'll keep it for my troubles. But I'm almost 100% sure it means Messenger. Final Answer.

CD logos

I thought electrician but its "messenger".

try this one! could be " emergency manager" and that's the hill you endlessly roll your plans up only to see the next budget roll them back down...

Attachments

• cd_2.jpg
    cd_2.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 199
I thought groan meant it was funny......and now I can't retract it.... like sending email at work until I realized you could " re-call" it...

I know this is going to sound stupid but what exactly is civil defence?
I know the late PCS menmber Lloyd Ray had civil defence decals on his 62 C/B Chevy.

I know this is going to sound stupid but what exactly is civil defence?
I know the late PCS menmber Lloyd Ray had civil defence decals on his 62 C/B Chevy.

Civil defense, civil defence (see spelling differences) or civil protection is an effort to protect the citizens of a state (generally non-combatants) from military attack. It uses the principles of emergency operations: prevention, mitigation, preparation, response, or emergency evacuation, and recovery. Programs of this sort were initially discussed at least as early as the 1920s and were implemented in many countries, but only became widespread in the USA after the threat of nuclear weapons was realized.

Since the end of the Cold War, the focus of civil defense has largely shifted from military attack to emergencies and disasters in general. The new concept is described by a number of terms, each of which has its own specific shade of meaning, such as crisis management, emergency management, emergency preparedness, contingency planning, emergency services, and civil protection.
(This definition and more is found in Wikipedia.):thumb:

Jerry Jacobson(This definition and more is found in Wikipedia.)[/I said:

but since Wikipedia is full of inaccurate facts that are pure guess work on the part of anyone that wants to post it, can we believe it. the dumbing down of America goes on. smart phone any one.

My 63 has the Delta dot on the radio bar, it was the clear channel AM for emergencies and natural disasters. Cool to see this post and bring back memories. My son wanted to know what the triangel was for on the radio last week and this is like deajaavoo.. Thanks

Federal Civil Defense Agency - 1950's
Federal Emergency Management Agency - 1980's
Department of Homeland Security - 2000's

Not to knock anyone who works/worked for any of these agencies, but the "novel" ideas seem to come up again and again.

Federal Civil Defense Agency - 1950's
Federal Emergency Management Agency - 1980's
Department of Homeland Security - 2000's

Not to knock anyone who works/worked for any of these agencies, but the "novel" ideas seem to come up again and again.

Steve: There was also an era prior to FEMA circa early 60s' to late 70's that the Army Corps of Engineers was the lead federal agency for any natural disasters ie; floods, earthquakes, building-bridge collapses etc. I think the best FEMA Director ever was James Lee Witt under Bill Clinton. On the surface he was just a "good ole Arkansas boy", but he got things done quickly and without all the wasted motion and money since Katrina you hear about under "Brownies" tenure with George Bush. I was appointed and one of (28) people who served on the original FEMA-USAR Steering and Advisory Committee that created the first (25) Nationwide Task Forces including (8) here in CA at the time. MM

Calamity Jane

I remember a thread on the website here that described the CD Heavy Rescue trucks that were known as " Calamity Jane's" .. The last link shows what I think might be that truck... does anyone have a picture of the "Calamity Jane" character they painted on them? I figure it was probably like bomber nose art...but maybe a little tamer so the ladies auxuliary wouldnt get upset...

As for this logo.... the " ran out of coffee emergency?"

Attachments

• cd_emer-food-and-housing-corps.jpg
    cd_emer-food-and-housing-corps.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 66
I remember a thread on the website here that described the CD Heavy Rescue trucks that were known as " Calamity Jane's" .. The last link shows what I think might be that truck... does anyone have a picture of the "Calamity Jane" character they painted on them? I figure it was probably like bomber nose art...but maybe a little tamer so the ladies auxuliary wouldnt get upset...

As for this logo.... the " ran out of coffee emergency?"

There were no applications of "nose art" on these trucks. They were painted per government specs.

Back