If you thought Mini Vans were bad....

Rick Franklin

PCS Member
I was talking to Jamus Coppinger last night and he was telling me he spotted a Scion XB being used as a First Call vehicle in Globe Arizona. The windows are blacked out and they have landau bars on the rear side windows. Apparently the right fromt seat has been removed to make room for the gurney. Sorry, I dont have pictures but maybe its better that we dont!

I saw a Honda Element with tinted windows and landau bars on it at the local Dignity Memorial Funeral Home this weekend. I wanted to go home & get the Lincoln hearse to show them what REAL dignity is!

I saw a Honda Element with tinted windows and landau bars on it at the local Dignity Memorial Funeral Home this weekend. I wanted to go home & get the Lincoln hearse to show them what REAL dignity is!

Dignity Memorial is SCI. Huge companies who only care about profits. There is no "service" at these funeral homes any more. I worked for an SCI firm in Minneapolis many years ago. They wouldn't fix leaky roofs, replace old torn carpet or even provide decent removal cots. We were the most expensive funeral home in the Twin Cities area, but we had Buick hearses and Limousines..... By the way, the SCI closed the funeral homes and tore down the buidings a couple of years ago when the call volume dropped from 1200 calls a year to less than 300 a year!

I think I have a first call horror story that tops them all...

When I was in my 20s I worked in security at a nursing home. Small home - on the weekends there was only a single person on duty. One particular weekend, when I came on shift, I was notified that someone had just expired, and the funeral parlor would be there shortly. Seems to me that most of the first calls around here are freelancers, or at least at that time they were. The first call was usually someone with a van or a station wagon using their personal vehicle. A guy comes up to the desk and presents his ID to pick up the deceased... I told him to drive around to the loading dock and I would meet him there. He informed me that he was already there, so I said "great, follow me" and took him down to the basement. We got the woman out of the chiller and onto a gurney, and wheeled her out to the loading dock. When the doors opened, there was nothing there but a Toyota Corolla. I turned to the guy and said, "I thought you told me you were in the loading dock?" He replied, "I AM - that's my car" In shock I asked, "where do you think we're going to put HER?" and he told me in the back seat! As I was propping the deceased up against a car seat and putting a seat belt on to hold her in place, the only thought I could think of was "BOY, YOU NEED THE MONEY BAD!!!" I hope he got wherever he was going before full rigor set in... In retrospect, I was compliant because I was just a naive kid... If that would have happened today, I would have drop-kicked his ass out of there and told him to come back when he was serious.

When I was on the emergency squad back in the 1960's, there was an older fellow that I worked with that was a teenager back in the early 1940's during WW II. He told us about taking grandma to visit another relative in the next state. Unfortunately, grandma expired during the visit, and they brought her home sitting up in the back seat of the car. Back then, they could barely afford the funeral, and having to ship her back home was an expense that they couldn't afford. The good thing about rigor is that it does go away. Stories like this remind me of Norman Bates... :badbad:

Back