Mini Ambulance Convention in MA today...

Paul Steinberg

PCS Life Member President
Staff member
Super Site Supporter
This picture was sent to me by Brenden from his phone. His ambulance is the closest one in the picture, and the picture was taken at the hospital in New Bedford MA. Big shortage of parking space to get into the ER... Wonder what they would do if one more were to drive in... Park it in the visitors lot??????? :myopinion:

Attachments

• ambulance.jpg
    ambulance.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 415
That's not at all uncommon around here. The hospital I transport to most often from work, that ER entrance has 6 ambulance spaces. There are three more spaces across the driveway. You can park another two along one side at the pathology (morgue) entrance, though there's often a funeral home van in one of the spots. And you can park two more along the sides of the ER driveway. And they are often all full. And that's not one of our "major" medical centers, that's only a local hospital.

And yes, they are all trucks.

A few up here, the ER bay still isn't high enough to drive anything but a van under. Single, drive-thru like entrance, have to back up the exit ramp with our Marque Commando Type I's.

I only saw two ambulances parked in between a bunch of trucks

I have to agree Ron, although I don't really enjoy the tight quarters of a van ambulance, I do enjoy the ride. The trucks in the picture have airbag suspensions, and they give the worst ride I have ever experienced. But what can I say I work with what I'm given.

That's not at all uncommon around here. The hospital I transport to most often from work, that ER entrance has 6 ambulance spaces. There are three more spaces across the driveway. You can park another two along one side at the pathology (morgue) entrance, though there's often a funeral home van in one of the spots. And you can park two more along the sides of the ER driveway. And they are often all full. And that's not one of our "major" medical centers, that's only a local hospital.

And yes, they are all trucks.

This hospital is a local hospital that services a rather large area, the nearest trauma centers are in Providence, RI and Boston Ma, so many critical patients get shipped out.

I have to agree Ron, although I don't really enjoy the tight quarters of a van ambulance, I do enjoy the ride. The trucks in the picture have airbag suspensions, and they give the worst ride I have ever experienced. But what can I say I work with what I'm given.

Phoenix's Fire operated Amb system has had those durn Ford's for like ever and having been unfortunated to ride in them I can attest how horrible the ride is. They're being phased out by larger Kodiak's which of course are no longer being built. Another example of low bidding being built to City specs. :14_6_12:

I counted 9 "busses" :p nothing unusual at either hospital in Hartford. Lately I've been in an '07 E350 instead of the Sprinter. Like Brendan I use what I am given.

I counted 9 "busses" :p nothing unusual at either hospital in Hartford. Lately I've been in an '07 E350 instead of the Sprinter. Like Brendan I use what I am given.

some tools are just better to use then others. but the key is still the man behind the tool. you guys ain't paid near enough for what they expect out of you today. :myopinion:

I agree with you Ed. I have a very good friend that drives here locally and for what they are expected to accomplish, the pay is really bad!

Believe it or not, our local community is down to one ambulance service. We had two up until about 2 weeks ago when the other one filed for bankrupsy and literally closed their doors at midnight one night. No notice... they called Mercer County dispatch at 11:59 and announced that they would no longer be taking emergency calls. I am guesing that McGonigal (our one last service in the area) has about 8 or 10 units running at any given time, but I would have to check on that.

Back