Ambulance Flasher

The 75 Ambulance I bought is missing the alternating flasher switch for the roof lights, are these available or is there an updated version of it I could use without to much difficulty?
Thanks
Chris

Last edited:
Without more details about manufacturer, it is hard to know what switch it uses. It can be a rocker switch, or it can be a toggle switch. If it is a rocker, there are a few different types. A picture of where the switch goes might help.

Hi Chris...you can find period correct mechanical flashers on ebay the odd time. Paul S. is a good source of information for these.

I replaced one of the mechanical flashers for the side lights for my Lifeliner with a Federal FHL2-SC flasher unit. It's solid state and is primarily used for a headlight flasher unit (which I also have an extra one for installing this spring). Easy to install and has a nice flash rate...not too fast...not too slow...around 90 flashes per minute. Rated well for the current draw.

Here's a link to some information:

http://www.fedsig.com/docs/4303_Headlight:Taillight_Flashers.pdf

It's discontinued by Federal but they come up on ebay and are usually around $20.00.

Hope that helps.

as Bill said you keep a eye out on E-bay the flashers will show up. but if your only running 4 to 8 bulbs the alternation flasher from the parts store will work just fine. use a set of jumper wires from it to your harness rather then the cut and splice way to hook up. that way if you find the right one you can swap it out easily and it all looks right

For the tunnel lights, there are a few choices of flashers available.
If it is just 2 bulbs that you need the flasher for, then I would use a #552 heavy duty flasher along with a high / low beam headlamp socket. These parts are readily available at most auto parts stores for under $20.00 for everything.
Today, there are basically 3 types of flashers....

1) Thermal electromechanical, which works on the principle of heat and cooling cycles, causing the contacts to come together, and when hot, they separate. This would be the #550 heavy duty small round canister type, or the Kay Lab flasher. The Kay Lab flasher can be occasionally found on eBay for under $25 including shipping. The #550 can be purchased at your local Carquest or NAPA store for under $15, and you will also need a high / low beam headlamp terminal connector to plug it into, which is available for under $5.00. The total investment for this set up will be $20 or less.

2) A motorized flasher that will be very accurate in synchronization, is the Cole Hersee. This will set you back around $125 or so on eBay. Occasionally, you might score one for a lot less, but it will take some looking over a period of time.

3) A solid state headlight flasher that is sold on eBay. I have no experience with this type of flasher, because I am old school, and like to listen to the "click clack" of the flasher.

There are other manufacturers of flashers that were used by the Commercial Chassis body builders, such as the McDermott 4" round canister type that Superior Coach used in the 1960's and early 1970's. These were sometimes called "school bus flashers". The McDermott unit is still available, but the price tag is staggering. I checked on them a few months ago, and I don't remember if they were a little over $200 or $300, because I had no reason to pursue the matter once I learned the price.

Attachments

• FLASHER 550.jpg
    FLASHER 550.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 239
  • MVC-015L.JPG
    MVC-015L.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 250
  • MVC-016L.JPG
    MVC-016L.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 249
Thanks for the help Mr. Paul.

Here is where I am
Im stuck I have three wires coming together for the roof lights, a yellow (postive), and two blues one a medium and one light. When I touch the yellow to the others the come on so I know they work, but when I hook them into the flasher #550 there is nothing, the lights dont even come on. I dont like this route so I have ordered one of the kay-lab flasher instead of trying to use the #550 flasher switch. To hook this up I have to have a low/high headlight switch right? and where does this switch lie in the diagram for the lights?

From your description, the yellow is the power, and the other two are the load (light). If you need a switch in the system, then use a on / off switch, and have the yellow wire go to one side of the switch, and from the other side of the switch, go to the power terminal of the flasher. Each of the other 2 wires will go on one of each load terminal of the flasher. Your flasher should have 3 terminals on it... one for power, and two for the lights (load)...

From your description, the yellow is the power, and the other two are the load (light). If you need a switch in the system, then use a on / off switch, and have the yellow wire go to one side of the switch, and from the other side of the switch, go to the power terminal of the flasher. Each of the other 2 wires will go on one of each load terminal of the flasher. Your flasher should have 3 terminals on it... one for power, and two for the lights (load)...

thats what I was thinking should happen when all three plugged in to the generic nothing happens, so hopefully the Kay-Lab Flasher will work.

thanks again

Back