77-79 Downsized Ambulances

Fred and Steve are correct. The Kearny car is still the original Jennifer Blue, and the AMR car is one of the Dundee twins.

I am collaborating on a project to permanently and officially document the 30 downsized Superior Cadillac ambulances.

Kearny

With all due respect to all concerned, are you sure the AMR car is the former Kearny car? I say that because, the story I remember is that it was one of the two Dundee (NY) FD ambulances.

The ambulances are similar, but the Dundee car lines up a little better due to the fact that the Dundee cars were delivered with the two siren speakers and the Mars light in the center, as the AMR car has now. Not to say that AMR couldn't have added speakers and a Mars light....

Also, neither the AMR car nor the Dundee car has spotlights. The Kearny car has spotlights, though again, they could have been removed. A lot can change in nearly 40 years.

Here's a picture of one of the Dundee cars. The other one is/was in Pete Grave's yard, in rougher condition.

AMR car definitely not the Kearny Car--sorry for the confusion. Just coincidence that I have access to some photos and posted right after. I think others have since posted the history of the AMR car, which was unknown to me--thanks. Will look forward to the Superior downsized history Tony mentioned. I am sure the Saudi Arabia car is long-gone, as are some others.

Kearny pt 2

Steve,

I believe the AMR car is one of the Dundee cars. I was under the impression that the Kearny, NJ car is owned by Mr. Ireland

Yes, I got that car after it sat on Paul Vickery's lot for some time, may have been years. I think he took it in on trade and thankfully hung on to it. Not the greatest of shape, but could be restored with effort. I have it in a barn in Minnesota if anyone is interested in keeping and restoring.

Is there a documented history of the '77 & '78 Miller-Meteors? The styling was so much better on the M-M Lifeliners!

That one is also a work in progress, Kurt. Much more difficult because (a) the cars were not overly well documented in the first place, and (b) with few exceptions, all of the downsized Lifeliners looked the same, making them difficult to individually identify, especially with changes of ownership, paint schemes, etc.

Yes, I got that car after it sat on Paul Vickery's lot for some time, may have been years. I think he took it in on trade and thankfully hung on to it. Not the greatest of shape, but could be restored with effort. I have it in a barn in Minnesota if anyone is interested in keeping and restoring.

I would love to see what the ambulance looks like now. I think it was crashed, wasn't it? Can you post any pictures of it Jim? I know that Paul Vickery definitely wanted someone with the means to restore it, to get it. It is great that it still exists.

Drumheller, AB Cadillac

Here is the 1977 Superior "Drumheller" rig, basically getting an extreme makeover. Will post progress.

Attachments

• july 15 2017 506.jpg
    july 15 2017 506.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 251
  • july 15 2017 469.jpg
    july 15 2017 469.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 250
  • july 7 2017 698.jpg
    july 7 2017 698.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 241
  • putting in new inner rocker.jpg
    putting in new inner rocker.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 241
Reminds me of what mine looked like when I had it re-painted about 5 years ago.

For anyone who may be interested, Carl Woerner at C-W Coach has NOS door skins and rust-free used doors for the '77-'79 Miller-Meteors. As I recall, he has a couple of NOS quarter panels as well.

New and Old images of downsized cars...going through my collection

A new image was posted on a local Facebook page which sparked me to post all my downsized images....speak out if you can add any info....some I don't recall seeing anywhere else.

The 1977 Orange/White with "Sac County Ambulance" appears to be a "new" delivery as is still has out of state license plates and the clear beacon domes (Not legal in Calif.)

The secodn two images I suspect are form CW Coach...is Carl still around?

Mark

Attachments

• 97014539_10221652617930031_1011981113406521344_o.jpg
    97014539_10221652617930031_1011981113406521344_o.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 249
  • CW002.jpg
    CW002.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 237
  • CW012.jpg
    CW012.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 239
I was in Midland, MI, in college, during the last several months of the '77 M-M's in-service life and I had been down to see C-W while it was still in Cinti..... so that photo brings back good memories.

Carl is definitely "still around"!

I recognize the second and third photo, because I took both of them. The '78 Superior was photographed at one of his other warehouses, and was originally from Narberth, PA.

I have been in/thru Sac City/Sac County many, many times but I am not familiar with the ambulance. I am sure that it was long gone by the time I moved down this way in 1990.

77-79 Downsized Ambulances

I remember riding with Carl Woerner and Dale Cooper to the Lambertville, NJ-New Hope, PA, PCS International Meet in 1987 and we stopped by the ambulance service that was selling the '78 Superior. Here is a picture of Carl (probably picking his nose) negotiating with the seller. I know Carl didn't buy the car that day, but eventually the sellers accepted his offer and the car went to Cincinnatti.

Attachments

• Scan0121.jpg
    Scan0121.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 208
OK, I saved this printed web page years ago on Grove & Co (Flint, MI.). The web site is no longer up...just posting for info on the down sized car topic

Attachments

• IMG_0007.jpg
    IMG_0007.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_0008.jpg
    IMG_0008.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 141
Also, back in 2006 this downsized MM was on E-Bay...not sure if we know where it ended up...I want to say it was in SoCal and was a PR car for a local Pizza Company??? I was holding on to these as the interior was in really good shape...needing perhaps for my reassembly.. again just passing the along....my interior is chestnut brown...Warren's is I think called "rescue(r) orange"?

Attachments

• IMG_0002 (2).jpg
    IMG_0002 (2).jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0003 (2).jpg
    IMG_0003 (2).jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_0004 (2).jpg
    IMG_0004 (2).jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_0005 (2).jpg
    IMG_0005 (2).jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 151
This car sat outside of 3 alarm pizza on the border of La Habra and Whittier, CA, lettered as an advertising gimmick for a year or two. I drove by it at least once a week, as I worked in nearby Brea.

Without getting up close, it looked straight and complete, although I think some of the emergency lights had been changed from red to amber. I often thought of stopping by to take a closer look, and ask if they were interested in selling it, but I really did not need another ambulance after previously selling my '79 Superior Cadillac in 1989. I assumed at the time that with the after-market dark tinted windows, the rear interior was probably gutted. Not the case, obviously, based on your photographs.

I guess the other thing that really stopped me from inquiring on it, is what if it was for sale at the right price? I had no place to put it, and like my current '59 Comet Olds, it is not exactly a daily driver. I hope it went to a good home.

Back