Touch-up paint

Jim Staruk

Super Site Supporter
Super Site Supporter
I need some touch-up paint for my 1996 S&S Masterpiece. The door label says it's a '95 Cadillac color, Fawn Gray #03 WA9924. It has a Diamont base coat and clear enamel. No matter what I Google, I cannot find what I'm looking for (a bottle of touch-up paint). Does anyone know where I can find this paint?

Thanks

Try some of your local autobody paint suppliers. They will custom mix it for you. The better ones have a computer color anayizer and can custom match the paint. They will use your gas door (after you bring it to them) to custom make the paint. The problem with getting any commercial redimade is its just too old and the touch up they made goes stale.

Jim it's a base clear so you can't get just one. you will have to get the base color and the clear coat. the dupont number is B9504. around here they will mix you as low as 1/2 pint or a spray bomb. but you will have to get the clear also. dupont offers it in a spray called jam clear. small spot you can touch with a small brush will work good. dob it let it sit then dob the clear over it. the pant will run you 20 bucks a can.

Jim

If trying to fix it yourself scares you...

Try guys like the car dealers use to remove door dings and paint chips in cars on the lot for sale.

There are guys who will come to your house and fix a dent or paint chip right at your place.

I see them driving around often here in Toronto. I know they are all over the US as well.

dentdoctor.com does dent repairs without messing up the paint.
There are paint chip guys too. Just not coming to mind right now.

They must be in your area as well.

Check it out or call a dealer to see if they can recommend someone.

Hope it helps,
Darren

you can if your wanting to get that paint in duponts enamel line for a one shot chip repair. small chips fill in easily that way and it a lot less hassle. the 03/9924 and the year 96 are all you need. the WA means it's water base paint on the car. most likely a california final assembly.the fawn gray is S&S code and label. so pay no attention to the name. to get the right paint in any formula your looking for 1996 GM car #03/9924. the blue box is the dupont code. the reason you can't find those little bottles anywhere is it a 19 year old car. this new stuff still catches me off guard to.

Attachments

• IMG_0404.jpg
    IMG_0404.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_0405.jpg
    IMG_0405.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_0406.jpg
    IMG_0406.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 259
you can if your wanting to get that paint in duponts enamel line for a one shot chip repair. small chips fill in easily that way and it a lot less hassle. the 03/9924 and the year 96 are all you need.

But that looks nothing like the color of my car

then you not reading the right code, because thats the code you gave. never judge a chip by it's color. the hole is so you can lay it over the paint and compared in the same light the color is a med gray metallic. or it was until someone repainted it.

then you not reading the right code, because thats the code you gave. never judge a chip by it's color. the hole is so you can lay it over the paint and compared in the same light the color is a med gray metallic. or it was until someone repainted it.

Here's the paint tag and a close-up of my car.

Attachments

• paint tag 2.jpg
    paint tag 2.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 189
  • Masterpiece 6.jpg
    Masterpiece 6.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 184
Jim

If trying to fix it yourself scares you...

Try guys like the car dealers use to remove door dings and paint chips in cars on the lot for sale.

There are guys who will come to your house and fix a dent or paint chip right at your place.

I see them driving around often here in Toronto. I know they are all over the US as well.

dentdoctor.com does dent repairs without messing up the paint.
There are paint chip guys too. Just not coming to mind right now.

They must be in your area as well.

Check it out or call a dealer to see if they can recommend someone.

Hope it helps,
Darren

I had a friend use one of these guys on her BRAND NEW ( 3 week ) old car big dent in tailgate $200 and 1 hour later can't even tell

Jim trust me that's the color in question. I'm thinking that's the color I used on the interior pieces of this 58. vary common color for GM in they're washed out years. your reading the number right. I looked it up right . we put the chip book on your car they will match. the chip book laying on my kitchen table and your car parked out in the sun show different shades. you monitor and my camera will record different spectrums. the numbers don't lie the chip book how ever does not account for 20 years fade either. but reading the tag it does say it a 95 color

The problem you are having with your Google search is because S&S spelled "grey" wrong on your tag. If you do a search on "fawn grey" (use the quotes) and cadillac, you will see numerous hits where it is cross-referenced with the Marblehead color. It was just GM's Cadillac name for the same color. It may look different on the screen, but it probably matched that chip at some point. Another reason to get it color-matched. Now you know what color to start with to get close, and a good automotive paint seller can take it from there. Off the shelf touch up colors rarely match after a year or two.

but just to be sure I looked up the the number under 95 and there it is. GM never did change the name of the color as long as they used it. in this set of years all the lines used the same name. unlike earlier were each line invented their own name for the same color

Attachments

• IMG_0427.jpg
    IMG_0427.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 228
Here is an online scan of the 1995 Fleetwood brochure that lists the color as "Fawn Gray". No mention of Medium Marblehead Metallic in the Fleetwood or Cadillac brochures:

1995 Cadillac:

http://www.lov2xlr8.no/brochures/cadillac/95cadillac.html

1995 Fleetwood:

http://www.lov2xlr8.no/brochures/cadillac/95cad/95cad.html

8.jpg

Interesting to note that in the Fleetwood brochure (and on Jim's tag) it is spelled "gray", but everyone else that references it spells it "grey"...

a name is just a name they sell the paint by the number not the name, the numbers don't lie. you will use that same GM number to look it up in any paint line. feel free to call it what you like.

Back