Left for Flint...

Matthew Taylor

PCS Route 66 Chapter President
Well, we rolled out in the '86 Eureka Pontiac Parisienne Hearse this afternoon, and only made it about 40 miles before I noticed that, not only did I not have any dash lights, but no rear license plate light, and no taillights. Thank goodness the brake lights still worked! I just got the car out of the shop after an abortive attempt to get the fuel gauge working, and they supposedly fixed the license plate light at the same time. So, it was back home, back to the shop in the AM and another start Friday. Yes, we replaced the blown fuse, and the new one promptly blew as well. I could see no defects with the wiring.

Well, we rolled out in the '86 Eureka Pontiac Parisienne Hearse this afternoon, and only made it about 40 miles before I noticed that, not only did I not have any dash lights, but no rear license plate light, and no taillights. Thank goodness the brake lights still worked! I just got the car out of the shop after an abortive attempt to get the fuel gauge working, and they supposedly fixed the license plate light at the same time. So, it was back home, back to the shop in the AM and another start Friday. Yes, we replaced the blown fuse, and the new one promptly blew as well. I could see no defects with the wiring.

I see how you are!! Im bringing my Pontiac, so you have to bring yours. :D I told my girlfriend it would happen that way. No one has ever brought a 85-86 Eureka Pontiac to an International, now there will be a 85 and 86.

Just don't drive at night and you will be ok!.....ok, I'm being sarcastic since Russ isn't here to say something first!

Matt, when giving you crap about bringing your Pontiac I forgot to mention that the dash lights and taillights on most cars, if not all, run on the same circut, so when you have no dash lights always check to see if the taillights are working, and vise versa, it helps narrow down the problem. The brake lights are on a different circut so they will still work.
Just hope you never have to change the brake/taillight bulbs in that car, they are a huge pain, at least my 85 is.
Good luck on finding the problem, and let us know what it was. See you in Flint!

nine times out of ten it's a problem under the sill plates. the wires run either close or under them and they get pinched or cut by a screw. some times it take a long time for them to ground out. if you get really frustrated put a 30 amp fuse in it and look for the smoke. one good way to burn up the whole wire harness. probably not worth the effort. most Likely give you nothing but more trouble. check the company splice first then go for the sill plates drivers side then the taillights them selves.

Problem solved

Well, the shop got my Pontiac fixed by nine am on Friday the 7th, and we arrived in Detroit that same evening after an uneventful trip. The problem was with the repaired wiring to the driver's side coach light - when the tech reinstalled the seatbelt bolt it caught the wiring and caused a short. Now I still need a right side coach light to cover new bulb - For some reason Eureka installed them backwards, and the left side lamp I bought won't fit. I need a right side lamp!

Back