Siren speaker

John Royark JR

PCS Member
I picked up this siren speaker, and need as much info as possible. I looked on the internet and cannot seem to come up with much except Southern Vehicle Products started in 1974 and they are now called Signal Vehicle Products.
I do not know if it works, so I need the ohms, watts etc. so I can try to find something to test it, and what is it worth? It has a light peppering, but may be able to be polished out. It cannot be seen from a couple feet away (like on top of a car. It weighs just over 10 pounds, is about 8 1/4 long, with a diameter of 8 1/2 at the widest part. Model is D-50 C.
DSCF6112.jpg

DSCF6111.jpg

DSCF6119.jpg

That looks like a rebadged Federal in a proprietary housing. You can test it by momentarily touching each of the leads to a car battery. Just brush one of the leads over the post, and if it makes noise, it is good. Learned that trick from John Dorgan years ago.

It appears to me to be a Chrome plated Motorola 100 watt siren speaker.
They were often sold and re-badged by other manufacturers.
I had two of these, one for my 1975 Plymouth Fury and another for my 1976 Pontiac Lemans NYPD RMP restorations.
It took a little work to strip off the chrome paint from the plastic and repaint it white. Actually the one for the 1975 was gray and we just scuffed it up and repainted it white. Here is how the Lemans looked when completed.
http://copcardotcom.fotki.com/contributions_by_name/by_last_name_d_through_g/joe-dicorpo/ny-nypd-1976-pontiac-02.html
They both worked great with SP Mark VII siren boxes which were 100 watt output units. I imagine they would work well with any 58 to 100 watt siren box.
Good luck.

That looks like a rebadged Federal in a proprietary housing. You can test it by momentarily touching each of the leads to a car battery. Just brush one of the leads over the post, and if it makes noise, it is good. Learned that trick from John Dorgan years ago.

Finally got out to check to see if it works by doing what you said, and it does work.

They have no real collector value, just whatever you can get.

Southern VP founder Marty Pilka was a genuine character. If you mentioned Federal in a conversation you could just step back and watch him morph from calm and quiet to screaming demon in about two minutes.

Back