Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.

Go Back   Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc. > Professional Car Discussion > General Discussion Forum

Notices

General Discussion Forum For the general discussion of Professional Cars.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:43 PM
PCS Life Member

Thanked 1,233 Times in 386 Posts
Groans: 7
Groaned at 9 Times in 8 Posts

Even is someone did rebuild the 77 "Elvis" hearse, they would have used more parts from other donor cars than the origional hearse parts. At some point, it is no longer the Elvis hearse and just a hearse that has parts of many other hearses, some of which were part of the Elvis hearse.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bill Carlin For This Useful Post:
Jeremy D. Ledford (01-09-2012), Kent Martinson (01-10-2012), Rocky Pollard (01-10-2012)
Old 01-09-2012, 10:00 PM
Website Member

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't believe the '77 exists in any way, shape, form or fashion anymore. No one in their right mind would waste money on ANY vehicle that badly fire damaged.

Now the '76 on the other hand, there is a very good possibility that it just may still be lurking somewhere. And the people from this forum are the perfect ones to try and find it.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:57 PM
PCS Past President / Senior Website Administrator

Thanked 11,689 Times in 3,828 Posts
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy D. Ledford View Post
Looking at Steve Loftins photo of the burnt out shell of the 77 Elvis Miller-Meteor I do have a few questions. Why would you remove a burnt out car shell from the chassis if it was a engine fire? Was the chassis, engine and front clip laying near by and just not in the photo? Wouldn't have the fire damaged the frame and engine beyone any use? I could see salvaging the rear door, bumper, drive shaft and rearend for another car maybe.
The top of the engine would have been damaged from the heat, but the basic engine block would still be good. You could actually clean up the engine block, install a new carburetor, ignition distributor, wiring, vacuum switches and hoses, etc. and have it running just as well as before the fire. You would also have to replace the sheet metal parts, and possibly the water pump, but I know that the engine even though it was toasted, isn't toast.
The frames rarely are damaged, unless the entire car was burned beyond recognition. Most times the fires are extinguished quickly before frame damage occurs. When I used to rebuild wrecks, I would many times buy frames from fire damaged cars. Usually the upper control arm and rubber bushings were scorched to some extent, but the frames were very salvageable, and with cleaning, some new parts, and fresh paint, they looked like new. Most times, the frames themselves were not scorched.
If someone were truly to want to "restore" this vehicle, all that they would need was the original frame and drive line, along with the original serial plate, and they could put another body onto the frame, replace the front end sheet metal, etc. and no one would be the wiser, unless they were to put a concerted effort into doing some detailed detective work. Once it was offered up for sale as a historically significant artifact, is when the questions would start, and it would be up to the person selling the car to produce sufficient evidence that it was truly the same car. I can say that there is no way that the body shell pictured could be save under any circumstances. Once sheet metal is heated and rusted the way this one is, there is no way that you can get paint to stick to it, no matter what you do. I know, because I tried to save hoods and fenders that were not nearly as burned, and were only scorched. The paint just wouldn't stick no matter how much prep we did, including sandblasting and grinding the surface. The heat does something to the metal that changes it permanently.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Paul Steinberg For This Useful Post:
Bill Carlin (01-10-2012), David Martin (01-10-2012), Denny Shira (01-10-2012), Jay Maynard (01-09-2012), Jeremy D. Ledford (01-10-2012), Rich Koski (01-10-2012), Russell Street (01-10-2012), Tony Blair (01-10-2012)
Old 01-09-2012, 11:04 PM
PCS Member

Thanked 5,672 Times in 2,096 Posts
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts

If you look at the first photo of the '76 MM, you will notice the landau bars are on the wrong sides ! Doh !

It isn't the reverse negative either... the word EMERGENCY is written out the right way on the sign.

Darren

By the way... Elvis is alive and rents a room at Jeremy's place !
He has ridden in Elmo many times to keep out of the public's eye.

1960 Cadillac S/S Victoria 3way Hearse
1960 Cadillac MM Futura Hearse
1962 Cadillac MM Landau Hearse
1962 Cadillac MM Futura Hearse
1973 Cadillac Superior 3way Hearse
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Darren Bedford For This Useful Post:
Jeremy D. Ledford (01-10-2012), Rich Koski (01-10-2012)
Old 01-09-2012, 11:35 PM
Website Member

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wrong sides? Didn't the coach builder make them that way? I've seen plenty of hearses with the landau bars reversed. I've driven a '92 Federal with the landau bars in that style on it. It also had S&S coach lamps on the sides!
Old 01-10-2012, 12:09 AM
PCS Member

Thanked 5,672 Times in 2,096 Posts

Usually the landau bars are curved up and flow down to the center and then up at the end.

If you picture that bar on the other side, it will look like I described above.

Check out my attached photos for example.

Darren

P.S. I do know that Dwayne Brooks had/has a car that the bars were reversed and couldn't be put on the other way as the padding underneath was molded that way. Not sure if it was a re-roof job or factory. I would say re-roofed.
Attached Images

1960 Cadillac S/S Victoria 3way Hearse
1960 Cadillac MM Futura Hearse
1962 Cadillac MM Landau Hearse
1962 Cadillac MM Futura Hearse
1973 Cadillac Superior 3way Hearse
Old 01-10-2012, 08:54 AM
Website Member

Thanked 7,114 Times in 2,341 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 13 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Gentry View Post
More importantly, are you and Terri going to be the proud new owners of a Funeral Home?

Josh
It is a beautiful funeral home which was built new just three years ago. We can get into it with only 50 grand down, not bad. He'll hold all the paper but too expensive at 1.2 million for a home that did only 49 calls (full service) last year which is almost half what he did three years ago. Town is a bit too small for us as well.

Richard
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Richard Vyse For This Useful Post:
Denny Shira (05-19-2018), Jeremy D. Ledford (01-10-2012)
Old 01-10-2012, 10:21 AM
Website Member

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Bedford View Post
If you look at the first photo of the '76 MM, you will notice the landau bars are on the wrong sides ! Doh !

It isn't the reverse negative either... the word EMERGENCY is written out the right way on the sign.

Darren

By the way... Elvis is alive and rents a room at Jeremy's place !
He has ridden in Elmo many times to keep out of the public's eye.

You weren't supposed to mention that. Elvis will get really upset if he finds out. He might even sabotage Elmo.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kent Martinson For This Useful Post:
Jeremy D. Ledford (01-10-2012)
Old 01-10-2012, 10:39 AM
PCS Member - Elected Director 2017-2020

Thanked 14,393 Times in 6,083 Posts
Groans: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Vyse View Post
It is a beautiful funeral home which was built new just three years ago. We can get into it with only 50 grand down, not bad. He'll hold all the paper but too expensive at 1.2 million for a home that did only 49 calls (full service) last year which is almost half what he did three years ago. Town is a bit too small for us as well.

Richard
the money might not be right but don't discount the small town till you have lived there. the advantages far out weight the negatives.
Paul Steinberg  (01-10-2012), Rich Koski (01-10-2012), Tim Koski (01-11-2012)
Old 01-10-2012, 11:13 AM
PCS Pacific Northwest Chapter President

Thanked 2,003 Times in 811 Posts
Groans: 16
Groaned at 7 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Steinberg View Post
The top of the engine would have been damaged from the heat, but the basic engine block would still be good. You could actually clean up the engine block, install a new carburetor, ignition distributor, wiring, vacuum switches and hoses, etc. and have it running just as well as before the fire. You would also have to replace the sheet metal parts, and possibly the water pump, but I know that the engine even though it was toasted, isn't toast.
The frames rarely are damaged, unless the entire car was burned beyond recognition. Most times the fires are extinguished quickly before frame damage occurs. When I used to rebuild wrecks, I would many times buy frames from fire damaged cars. Usually the upper control arm and rubber bushings were scorched to some extent, but the frames were very salvageable, and with cleaning, some new parts, and fresh paint, they looked like new. Most times, the frames themselves were not scorched.
If someone were truly to want to "restore" this vehicle, all that they would need was the original frame and drive line, along with the original serial plate, and they could put another body onto the frame, replace the front end sheet metal, etc. and no one would be the wiser, unless they were to put a concerted effort into doing some detailed detective work. Once it was offered up for sale as a historically significant artifact, is when the questions would start, and it would be up to the person selling the car to produce sufficient evidence that it was truly the same car. I can say that there is no way that the body shell pictured could be save under any circumstances. Once sheet metal is heated and rusted the way this one is, there is no way that you can get paint to stick to it, no matter what you do. I know, because I tried to save hoods and fenders that were not nearly as burned, and were only scorched. The paint just wouldn't stick no matter how much prep we did, including sandblasting and grinding the surface. The heat does something to the metal that changes it permanently.
Verification of authenticity doesnt seem to bother Barrett Jackson.Sell the car there with your claims & its as good as gold!
Jeremy D. Ledford (01-10-2012), Josh Gentry (01-10-2012), Paul Steinberg  (01-10-2012), Rich Koski (01-10-2012), Richard Vyse (01-10-2012)