broken door handle

help.. my 90 eureka caprice side door wont open. handle broke today while buffing. passenger side and has no inside handle. why eureka didnt put a handle just in case i dont know. anyway i dont have a clue how to open the door with the handle broken on the outside. i tried to catch the latch rod with a slim jim and a coathanger but to no avail. im stuck. anyone who has had this problem please give me the guidance to get in without prying the door panel off. thanks in advance.

Picture

well sir if I could I would. I haven't the fogiest as how to post a picture somewhere for someone to look at. guess I should become a site supporter but haven't. the handle is broken on the handle were it attatches to the rod going to the latch. cannot see the rod inside even using a wedge and flashlite. but thanks for the answer anyway.

then the only way to get it is from the inside. start at the top trim get it off and the trim pad will most likely pull towards you enough for you to find the access panel. if not cut a big hole were the latch should be located. you can patch it when you get it open. one never knows what kind of latch they used.
if the glass will go down your OK. of not you will need to pry up the trim pad from what ever edge you can. if your careful you can do it with out damaging anything. I know it can be done I did it with the Seville here. the rear door latch is to far back to use the slim Jim on

thanks

no sir, no roll down windows. im gonna try one more thing then your way is what i had told myself i would probaly have to do. thanks alot for your expertise sir..

I know this is not much help, but this is a 90 Eureka Chevy pic, so everyone knows what Kyle is working on. Ive had to take the door panel off hearses many times to get the door open (most of the time lock issues) and it is the best way.
1990 Eureka Chevy 2.jpg

Finally

took all the good advise and pryed back on the panel and reached down with some channellocks and got it open. thanks to everyone who took the time to try and help me. still cant figure why they didn't put an inside door handle. only way to lock it is with the electric lock button also. no inside lock either, only door control is button in front or outside handle. great car though. im the 3rd owner and 59k miles. white over white. could be used everyday as it is that nice. I know pics. im working on it. only thing I have left to do is convert the ac to 134 as its still r12.

no need to convert you'll go to 134a which is comparable with the r-12. there is no more 134. the just keep the numbers so no one know how much they got hosed over. having one of the doors get locked is really a problem. thats what happed to the 72. having electric locks may help glad it worked

Kyle, the main reason they didn't put inner door handles on them is why bother spending the extra money, when the rear person don't need out.
At least you have electric locks, My 85 Eureka Pontiac don't have key holes on the outside OR electric locks. To unlock rear side doors you have to reach through partition and pull up the knob.

Back