Where do I mount a Federal 28 siren?

About finished putting the 64 back together....thought I should firgure out where to install the Federal 28 siren....where and how do I do that?

Attachments

• IMG_1408.jpg
    IMG_1408.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 491
While this might not be ideal, but you could mount the siren facing the center of the car on the area where the horns are located, and then relocate the horns to the hood latch center brace using the bolts that are below the hood release lever.

There should be a flat (horizontal) mounting plate on the driver's side between the grille and radiator. I don't see one in your picture; perhaps it's still in the parts pile? The shot below is of a #28 in a 1964 S/C combination.

To activate the siren, there should be a Ford-style starter solenoid on the driver's side fender well that's wired to the siren/horn switch.

Are you available tomorrow afternoon? I'll be in Enid in the morning, and could possibly run up there after lunch. I just sent my contact information via PM.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqQOKocE4)W,QumuBOUEtOdUw!~~48_12.jpg
    $(KGrHqQOKocE4)W,QumuBOUEtOdUw!~~48_12.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 443
Last edited:
Mine is located behind the grill. I had my mechanic make a plate and mounted it to that. Works great.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kccU3Qy5dGY[/ame]

as the 63 we have here has the dual batteries that spot were the horns are is taken by a battery. but one could make the mount there. the location that Steve has posted is most likly the preferred place on most of the cars. either way it would be a make a mount thing. all you need is a flat base big enough to bolt the siren base to and enough arms or legs to mount it on the car. if it wasn't equipped with one from the manufacture then it would not have a mount installed. such is our case here on the 63. it came with the roof mounted one.

Here is the siren mounting plate in our 1969 Cadillac Sovereign Limousine we bought this summer.

Attachments

• SIREN MOUNTING PLATE.jpg
    SIREN MOUNTING PLATE.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 391
All Cadillacs up to 1973 had room between the grill and the radiator for a model 28 which was the usual choice of sirens until the electronic ones hit the scene. The mounting plates for the sirens were usually standard because when the electronic started to replace the mechanical, the plate was used for the speaker. The 28 was always turned to the side. On the Oldsmobiles, the siren was positioned behind the radiator usually tucked tightly in front of the fender well. This dampened the sound to some degree but they were still very audible and got your attention.

Back