Another Criterion?

Mike McDonald

PCS Member
Not sure if this already on the PCS Criterion Counters "radar" or not.... but the 1974 I (believe) owned and restored at one time by Senior PCS Member Kevin Lynch decades ago re-surfaced today at the Del Mar (San Diego County-CA) Fairgrounds as part of San Diego Burn Foundation Charity Event. It is owned by A.J. Heitman who heads up JEMS and other EMS / Medical Periodicals. Heitiman was a partner at one time with the late James O. "Jim" Page... AKA; "the Father of Modern Paramedics" and a LAC B.C. Liasion to Jack Webb on the Emergency TV Series + a long time PCS Member.

Unfortunately I didn't have a camera with me today, but will get someone else to take a picture of it by tomorrow. The last time I saw it was about 10 years when it still looked GREAT. Today it was sad to see the clear coat coming off, red paint faded, and a few years of rust coming back from previous repairs in the normal Criterion locations, bottoms of doors, fenders and rockers. I left my business card for him on the windshield offering a good home for it at the McDonald Ambulance "orphanage". MM

Thanks Mike and would love to see what it looks like today. Here is a shot of it after Kevin restored her.

Attachments

• 7420lake20fritz.jpg
    7420lake20fritz.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 490
Waaaaaahhhh

A nice treat for fathers' day to see my first pro car. I don't think I did much to the interior other than a good scrubbing. When I got it, it had an "800" number in large fonts on the side of the car....covered such a huge district in Washington State that they had to have an 800 number. AJ is the second owner since me. Dr. Mark Tamsen (Emergency Care Dynamics) bought it from me to use as PR outside is clinic in San Diego. Glad to hear it's still in view! And speaking of Mr. Page, the ambulance was in his funeral procession with several other classic emergency vehicles. Thanks for the great reminder!
Happy Fathers Day!!
Kevin

How about a before shot and one with a famous fireman paramedic. I always found it interesting how the siren horns face outward. Hey Kevin, were they orginally mounted that way?

Attachments

• 74%20pre.jpg
    74%20pre.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 420
  • enewspic2-TcO.jpg
    enewspic2-TcO.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 420
Funeral Procession

A nice treat for fathers' day to see my first pro car. I don't think I did much to the interior other than a good scrubbing. When I got it, it had an "800" number in large fonts on the side of the car....covered such a huge district in Washington State that they had to have an 800 number. AJ is the second owner since me. Dr. Mark Tamsen (Emergency Care Dynamics) bought it from me to use as PR outside is clinic in San Diego. Glad to hear it's still in view! And speaking of Mr. Page, the ambulance was in his funeral procession with several other classic emergency vehicles. Thanks for the great reminder!
Happy Fathers Day!!
Kevin

Kevin: We hauled several vehicles down from the LA County Fire Museum and participated in the 50+ vehicle procession ourselves along with the Crown Firecoach Enthusiasts (So-Cal SPAAMFAA) of which Jim was a long time member, and great person to be a friend of. THX-MM

Happy Fathers Day!!
Kevin

Kevin: We hauled several vehicles down from the LA County Fire Museum and participated in the 50+ vehicle procession ourselves along with the Crown Firecoach Enthusiasts (So-Cal SPAAMFAA) of which Jim was a long time member, and great person to be a friend of. THX-MM

Here is a shot depicting that Criterion leading Robert Hartson's [founder of San Diego's Hartson Medical Services (AMR)] funeral procession, back in 2008 ... along with a few of the images Mr. Heightman shared with me after acquiring the car from Dr. Tamsen, in 2004.

Dave R.

hartson.jpg

74CRITERION%20Heightman%202004a.jpg

74CRITERION%20Heightman%202004b.jpg

74CRITERION%20Heightman%202004c.jpg

Amr

David: It was shown (still fully equipped) complete with an A.J. Heightman monogrammed medical bag with an AMR Display of new apparatus at the Fargrounds yesterday, so there still may be an arms-length connection? Mr. Heightman is a regular donor to the San Diego Burn Foundation as we are. (*) Richard: Out here at least, a lot of the CP-100's were faced on 30-45 degree angles like this one.... I guess for upcoming intersections. MM

50+??? There were at least that many motorcycle cops! There were so many in-service and collector vehicles that I'm embarrassed to admit I never saw this car.

I'm sure we all miss Jim. No matter how small a role you played in the grand scheme of things, Jim always made you feel like a valued friend.

Back