Rains it Pours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took the Lifeliner in to get the 28 siren mounted/installed and decided to have the seal on the rear end replaced since it was leaking just a bit. Decided to change the rear seal on the tranny too and now decided to change the drive shaft bearing that is in the middle just to be on the safe side. My radiator was spewing a bit so the radiator is coming out and will be boiled, once again to be safe replacing the lower hose to match the new upper hose. Going to have a little bit of paint work done and hope to have enough left over to detail/paint the engine compartment then off to the shop for the new headliner.

Still Cheaper......

Still Cheaper.... and more convenient to do these relatively minor "PM" items now than when you are on the road and have to be towed in. Seals in rear ends are often caused (but not always) by bearings getting worn and starting to go out. MM

Still Cheaper.... and more convenient to do these relatively minor "PM" items now than when you are on the road and have to be towed in. Seals in rear ends are often caused (but not always) by bearings getting worn and starting to go out. MM

I'll dido that. but as this one was sitting so long and Richard has been driving it a lot I would say the bearings might be Ok. but check the price of a clean and repair on that radiator. they get say 40 bucks here for one scraped and you can buy one of the made in china alumimiun ones that cool twice as much for about 180. if the want over 100 to clean and repair yours it might be worth replacing it with a better one. I have done two here one in a my 73 caddy and one in a GMC van they are both working just fine.

Got a quote just the other day for a boil out, rod the core, clean, and paint, including pressure testing for $75. Not a fan of Made in China anything, so I rather stay with the old dependable Made in the USA reconditioned for half the price.

I was into a re core at about 300 plus the labor. same with the van. but if I could get a clean and repair for 75 I would have gone that rout also. they get 125 here for that service here. still cheaper them the new one. but the re core was about double the price of a replacement one. the van one had the plastic crimp on tanks which I would not have gone for but the all welded aluminium one so far is nice.

Richard,

I was able to get a brand new radiator (North American made) for $300 Canadian. It was available same day (apparently 73 thru 91 Cadillacs use the same rad).

I found one...

I found an exact replacement for mine. Following words of wisdom from Conan the Steinberg, he suggested I contact local auto parts suppliers. Low and behold NAPA had the 4 row I needed and at the best price. So it is on it's way arriving by this time next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back