the new project

Rocky Fluegge

PCS Member
Well some of you may have already seen the posting I have done on facebook on my new ride/ huge project. Here is my 1934 Cunningham hearse. I have been looking for a 30's era coach. She is a pretty complete car. It does have some soft wood. The guy I bought it from parked it on his property in 1971. it has been sitting since then. I have already gotten the rear door off to a wood guy to start the rebuild process. I figured if I can get some one on that and get the body back to being sound as im working on my other projects when that is done I can rock on the rest of the body. well here it is in all its patina.

Attachments

• DSCN8437.jpg
    DSCN8437.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 394
  • DSCN8436.jpg
    DSCN8436.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 397
  • DSCN8399.jpg
    DSCN8399.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 400
  • DSCN8410.jpg
    DSCN8410.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 394
  • DSCN8393.jpg
    DSCN8393.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 396
  • DSCN8418.jpg
    DSCN8418.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 403
  • DSCN8405.jpg
    DSCN8405.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 397
  • DSCN8406.jpg
    DSCN8406.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 395
as I started to look the car over I was really surprised at the fact that the coach body was built in aluminum. The rear floor was reworked at some point in its life I was wondering if any one has any pics that are good of what it should of looked like, with the way that the doors are it was a three way and wondered what the table might of looked like. also wondering if any one has one? Also curious what the floral trays would of been like. the mounts are on the side wall but no trays.

Attachments

• DSCN8395.jpg
    DSCN8395.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 394
  • DSCN8393.jpg
    DSCN8393.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 397
It was a straight 8 motor, its laying apart in the back of the car. Thanks for the info on the other bumper. I have not emptied the car put and had a chance to check it out. I guess I will also be looking for a front bumper. Lol

will she is pretty much all there. and a vary unusual body builder also. the windshield looks like they did the replace half trick and put in a divider.

I saw the car in person last week at one of Rocky's car club events.

Even one of his car club buddy's wanted to buy this one from him.

With Rocky's car building skills, I know one day he will be cruisin' the streets with a cool car.

He found a guy who built wooden cars to redo the wood and has the first door with him now.

Rocky was ready to replace the wood with metal but luckily found this guy to make it original with new hand made wooden structure.

Way to big of a project for me but someone like Rocky will work away until it is a work of art and winning awards at car shows.

Should be a rare one of a kind ride when he is done.

Keep us updated !
Darren

And it begins

Always a pleasure to see what Rocky is up to, and always a delight to see his progress and anticipation of an award winning end project.:applause:

What an amazing find! So many cars of this era are gone, and to find, of all things, a hearse! I hope you have a great time putting it back into running order, and I'll keep an eye out for updates. Any chance I could move into your garage? I think it's a little nicer than my house. :p

Congratulations, Rocky. This is a truely amazing find - a 1934 Cunningham-Oldsmobile. It appears to have been a three-way and Cunningham purchased its three-way tables from Henney. As an end-loader, this was a Cunnngham Model 347-A and listed for $2,850. This was substantially more than a 1934 Henney Progress Model 703 which retailed for $1,985 or a Miller-Oldsmobile which went for $1,885. While all Cunninghams were costly, the aluminum coachwork probably accounted for a large chunk of the price premium charged for this car. Somewhere around here I have some original ads for these Cunningham-Oldsmobiles as well as some factory photos. Can't wait to see it after your restoration.

will she is pretty much all there. and a vary unusual body builder also. the windshield looks like they did the replace half trick and put in a divider.

Thanks for the info on that, I had seen some pics of the car and one piece windshield and was wondering about that. I do like the look of the divider in it though.

Congratulations, Rocky. This is a truely amazing find - a 1934 Cunningham-Oldsmobile. It appears to have been a three-way and Cunningham purchased its three-way tables from Henney. As an end-loader, this was a Cunnngham Model 347-A and listed for $2,850. This was substantially more than a 1934 Henney Progress Model 703 which retailed for $1,985 or a Miller-Oldsmobile which went for $1,885. While all Cunninghams were costly, the aluminum coachwork probably accounted for a large chunk of the price premium charged for this car. Somewhere around here I have some original ads for these Cunningham-Oldsmobiles as well as some factory photos. Can't wait to see it after your restoration.

Man I really would love to find a photo to see the table in it. I so much would love to put the three way table back into it. I have been excited to see as I peel back the fabric interior in the car I have found the original interior under it so I will have something for patterns to remake it. im very excited about this car just a lot of work ahead of me. looking forward to see how this goes with the wood guy. my fingers are crossed. all I can say is he really is a great craftman. Any photos you can find I would really appreciate it.

Last edited:
Daniel, if you are asking about the 62, I got it all tuned up all new fluid lines brakes, fluids all out and changed, chased around some electrical things. just need to replace some bulbs on thedash and im missing a rear reflector in the tail light. I need to find on of those so I can drive it and keep from getting pulled over it makes the taillight look red with it. put some tires on it and she is going to get some road miles this year. but she runs nice and stops great and smokes no more.

most of your flat glass was one piece they did not use the divider until they angled them before the drop curved glass came about. the cheap fix for one with a broken side was to cut the glass in two and put in the divider. the bigger sheets of glass were rather expensive back in the days when every shop cut their own. not sure if this one would be safety glass or single pain. be betting there is a tape for a mirror on the inside of it. showing it came off a different car.

Back