Confirmed Tornado hits Bellevue Ohio

Paul Steinberg

PCS Life Member President
Staff member
Super Site Supporter
Just got a call from Russ Street that a tornado has touched down in Bellevue Ohio. He wants to let everyone know that even though his home suffered some damage, that his family is OK, and that the 1964 Cadillac combination was not harmed. He also said that the town was "shut down", and that he is presently trying to make his way home. He or I will report more as information becomes available.

Thanks for letting us know that Russ and his family are safe. There seems to be no shortage of severe weather, does there?

It sounds like there was one a little while ago in Alliance too. There was a tornado warning for Alliance and Marlboro, so I'd believe it. I'll text Danny and Ron to see how they are doing.

Update: I just heard back from them. Ron is fine, but he says that Marlboro is experiencing flooding right now. As for Danny Skivolocke, he's doing ok in Alliance.

The storms this week have been crazy. I was in Toronto an hour before the floods on Monday. It's amazing how much water they got so quickly. Akron is experiencing big time flooding in some areas tonight. I saw some pics of the roads with water up to the windows on cars. I talked to Bill People's today as well. He says that the Ohio River came up five feet in 24 hours. Unreal.

Last edited:
I spoke to Ron about 15 minutes ago, and he said that they got a lot of rain, and there is localized flooding, but nothing severe.
I also saw on the news a few minutes ago, that a tornado reportedly touched down about 15 miles South of where I live. Seems that the storms are hitting every corner of the North American continent.

I was watching the Fostoria train cams when that mess hit......all rail traffic came to a stop as engineers couldnt even see 10 feet in front of their trains.
Power lines and trees over the tracks....It was scary to watch and listen to it even on a webcam!

This has to be the craziest year for weather and it appears it will only get worse,That everyone is safe is the best news out of these storms.

Who needs to go to Marietta We Got Our Own River Cruise

Took some shots while waiting for barricades tonight. This was somebody's back lawn before the heavens let loose.

Attachments

• photo (94).jpg
    photo (94).jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 1,968
Jeremy, by the sound of Paul's initial post, I'm thinking that Russell is ok. Things still aren't perfect here. It's nice and sunny, but there's still flooding. I'm DJing on the radio today and we already had one EAS alert that overrode programing to notify the public about the flood alert in lower Summit County.

Has anyone heard anything from Russell or others that were affected by this tornado?

I spoke with him today, he took a direct hit in the bathroom window with a large tree branch shattering it. The garage had one shingle knocked loose. He was standing in his front lawn hoping to talk to a power guy. All is well there.

Finally!!!!!

We finally got our phone/internet connection back just a few minutes ago. We got power back on Saturday afternoon (after a battle with Ohio Edison). We've been being lied to for 5 days by Frontier about when service would be restored.

It just started storming here again, more later. Maybe a photo or two.

We finally got our phone/internet connection back just a few minutes ago. We got power back on Saturday afternoon (after a battle with Ohio Edison). We've been being lied to for 5 days by Frontier about when service would be restored.

It just started storming here again, more later. Maybe a photo or two.

Welcome Back !!

First off, thanks for all of your kind thoughts, and words. Much appreciated.

Here's the scoop.....last Wednesday at about 1530 Barb heard the USPS guy put a package on the front porch (the light I got from Doug for the '64). She went out to get it and noticed the sky looked real, real ugly all dark and "swirly". About that time the tornado alert sirens went off. She threw the package on the floor of the den , grabbed the dogs and went to our 1/2 bath which is very small and located in the middle of the first floor. The cat (the smartest one of the bunch) hightailed it to the basement.

About that time, the fecal matter hit the whirling blades (for you folks in Rio Linda, the......ahhh hell you figure it out). She heard a very loud noise, and lots of commotion. After it all died down, she came out and found a "war zone" in all of the backyards in our neighborhood. Tree tops stacked up everywhere, trees down all over the place. Generally one hell of a mess!!

I had just arrived in Aliquippa, PA. to change trailers to come home. In all the 35 years we've been married, I've never heard her sound like that. She asked, "could you please come home??" in a very soft voice. She said a tornado had just hit our house and we had damage. I told her I'd be home in three hours. I called our youngest son Brad (down in Forest, OH) and told him what happened. Right after that, all cell service in Bellevue got very hard to use, all "spotty" and very weak. it took our other son, Rob, who lives a mile north of us 25 minutes to make it down to our house. They had very little damage.

When I finally got home, the scene was overwhelming. What I found was both boys, spouses and kids, Uncle Howard (Howie) his son Jeff all hard at work. Chainsaws running, and the big limb down on our back porch being removed. The garage was piled at least 10 to 15' high with "tree tops" from everywhere. The dog kennel behind the garage was piled about 20' deep with "tree tops". Our yard was full of "tree tops".

It has since been confirmed by the National Weather Service that 2 tornados did in fact hit Bellevue. Both were catagory F-1. Another smaller one hit Reedtown about 8 miles south of here. The track of the one that got us came from southwest of here, touching down at C.R. 308 and Gardner Rd., and following a course that took it right through the backyards in this neighborhood exiting at Gardner Rd. and Kilbourne St. It came through at tree top level, about 5' off the tops of the roofs on all of these 2 story houses. Right over the top of our garage, where the '64 was a safe and sound. The other tornado hit somewhere up around the downtown area and literally "exploded" all of the windows in every building up there.

When I find the camera (it's around here somewhere in this mess) I'll post some pictures of the damage. The bottom line is this, our little city will look drastically different henceforth. We lost many, many, many beautiful old trees. The street we live WAS all tree-lined on both sides, the trees forming a "canopy" over the roadway. Not any more!! About half of them are gone.

More later.

Russell, glad that your family and pets are OK, and you didn't say but it sounds like your house is OK, too. So that's good.

The light probably saved your wife's life. If she hadn't picked it up, she may not have noticed the swirly sky and ultimately high-tailed it to the safe room.

Remember, in an emergency, cell phone service can be damaged or overwhelmed. Text messages take up less "bandwidth" than phone calls, so texts may get through when cell calls don't. :Exclamation:

I as well as many others have been through a tornado, you will never forget it and to witness it first hand you sorta get paranoid everytime the sky darkens,that you and your family are safe is the best news

Back