1955 Crown Imperial Limousine

Keith Snyder

PCS Member
So says the vendor: "This 1955 Chrysler Crown Imperial C70 Limousine, VIN: C551108, is one of 120 ever built, it is extremely rare and valuable. It is completely stock. An unrestored sixty-year-old surviving 1955 Crown Imperial Limousine. Again, RARE!

This Limo has a 331 Cu/in Hemi V8 Engine with a Carter four-barrel carburetor producing 250 H/p. Has a Power-Flite Two Speed Automatic Transmission, Factory Air Conditioning, Power Brakes, Power Steering, Power Window, Factory Heater, and Town & Country AM Radio.

This Limo has been stored for over twenty years and is complete. The 331 Hemi V8 Engine is complete including all the original Air Condition parts. We have not started the engine since we purchased in in 1995. Regarding the Body sheet metal, other than the few rust spots in the trunk, a 5-inch wide by 10-inch long hole in the driver’s side floor pan and along both sides rocker panels (see photos). The body is totally solid with out rust and is in great shape with little to no dents. It is a great restoration car and would be a great investment. This limo is one of four that I own. I have a limo parts car that also must be sold. these cars are in high demand after restoration, ( that's why I have two Limo's in my collection in my build shop now. I don't feel I will get to this one any time soon. [ I attached a few pictures of my other Limos for your reference ]

Questions: Please call me about this car or any of the other 1955 to 1957 MoPars I have for sale, visit egg-llc.com. I will discuss any reasonable offers for my cars. My phone number is 650-280-1472. I still have many left!"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/401045929035?rmvSB=true

These Crown Imperials(1955-1965) bring BIG bucks these days and blow past Cadillac limos in comparable condition. The last one of these that I watched sell on e-bay in this condition sold for in excess of $30,000. This one will be fun to watch!

Looks like the sale ENDED a short while ago. It has original (CA) Plates and was sold new by a (former) Local Chrysler-Pymouth Dealer in San Diego. Just guessing that the original owner may have been a local large funeral home?

Starting price was $15,500 with a reserve and it wasn't listed very long. I would bet closer to 30 than 20.

I, too, question the miles. I also question where it spent its life. I can't image the rocker panels and floor getting this rusty if it had spent its entire life in California. This looks more like an Iowa car than a California car.

I agree Kurt,
I see vintage cars all the time that have been used their entire life in the SF area...the South Bay does get its share of "salty ocean air" but I have never seen rockers and floors this bad off...but I guess anything might be possible....:confused:

These Crown Imperials(1955-1965) bring BIG bucks these days and blow past Cadillac limos in comparable condition. The last one of these that I watched sell on e-bay in this condition sold for in excess of $30,000. This one will be fun to watch!

1:43 scale models of these limousines can be bought for less than $400 on ebay!

Those are awful tempting some days!

San Diego County RUST

As Jim stated, we even have SALT AIR "rust outs" in the pacific coast areas down here.... case in point is the '74 Criterion we are currently restoring that sat outside in the Mission Bay elements for over 15 years. MM

Yes, I was referring to the mileage. Disregarding the paint, exterior body, floor and rocker rust and just looking at the interior is enough of a clue that the odometer is at least on the second go around.

Look at the steering column photo. The surface rust from key damage is real severe. That took a lot of key slapping to do that.

For the price, well whatever the traffic will bear.......

I don't know which of the pictures are of the other limos...they all look to be the same car to me with the rust on the bumpers and the snow or truck tires on it. I have never seen one before, I suppose the little lights on the tail are a sure sign of an Imperial too. Personally it looks like a Russian ZIL, I saw one in Paris a couple of years ago. It looks quite unique and if it is so scarce I bet it would be a bitch to find parts, and that interior you know.

Cheers

Dave

Back