MoPar procars

I think these conversions were done by Universal in Detroit....based on Abbott & Hast designs, I believe. - Walt

These two particular cars I do know are actual Abbott & Hast coaches, only because Ron Hast sent me copies of the originals. Cary's copy was from a scanned ad from one of the funeral trade magazines, but I don't think the whole ad was scanned. But anyway, I have heard of Universal and them making similar coaches, but that's all I know. Care to share more? I'm guessing there are a lot of us here who aren't familiar with them. Pics would be nice :D

these were the first set to get cut up and crushed. there was not a lot of market for old Chrysler products. but for me there styling beat out GMs hands down. if they could have just figured out a way to eliminate the felling you were riding in a beer can they would have out sold both Ford and GM.

SORRY ED!! I just got a new computer (my first laptop) and i am learning how to use a tuchpad mouse and accidently groaned you on this post and cant remove it. sorry

SORRY ED!! I just got a new computer (my first laptop) and i am learning how to use a tuchpad mouse and accidently groaned you on this post and cant remove it. sorry

First suggestion is to buy one of those small wireless mice that are made specifically for laptops. My fat fingers don't work well on the mouse pad, and that is what I did.
Second suggestion.. Send me a PM, and I will remove the "Groan" if you make it by mistake. You are not alone in making this error.
Thanks
Paul

I think these conversions were done by Universal in Detroit....based on Abbott & Hast designs, I believe. - Walt

one knows there were a lot of smaller locale companies doing conversions. you see one you don't recognize and you label it to one of the big boys or more common small players. once these pictures get miss labeled and get out it almost impossible to correct. the research you and tom have done done apart and together is the most valuable asset the club has. Steve starting this share photos is one more. we can't go back and re visit the car. the picture is all we have. it don't look like any Memphis I have see and not like the ones next to it . so what is it. you research and willingness to share it is our only clue. once again I put out to those of us that are amateur photographers take the shot and at least one clear shot some form of identification. if you can get the picture of the ID tag. re visiting the pictures years latter it's vary had to come up with the right manufacture. but if we all try for a pictures of the tag with the car then keeping them apart is easy.

Tatty yet rare '62 Dodge airport limo @ a New Jersey car show this year.

62dodge.jpg

More shots of the surviving '59 Memphian Chrysler in PA:

59chrysler1d.jpg

59chrysler1e.jpg

59chrysler1f.jpg

59chrysler1g.jpg

59chrysler1h.jpg

The hammer dropped on this '58 Memphian DeSoto from the volunteer fire department in Kamrar, Iowa @ $36k in '07 after restoration as shown.

Pics/info courtesy of VanDerBrink Auctions LLC.

2680136159_78fff79316_o.jpg

2680953272_d6af7c7451_o.jpg

2680953450_7e5807433c_o.jpg

2680135295_727ac0915a_o.jpg

2680135509_27c101a8a9_o.jpg

2680953702_08a71329bb_o.jpg

I think Walt set us straight on the builder of the ambulance not being Memphis coach. but Universal out of Detroit Mi. you compare the back of the black hearse and this ambulance and you see the difference right now.

Here she is in Marlette F.D. livery:

(WMc photos)
"Originally Posted by Steve Loftin
This Economy/Dodge was sold new to the funeral home in Marlette, MI. It was later used by the Marlette F.D. when the funeral home discontinued its ambulance service. "

Is that not a "National" emblem on the rear door?

attachment.php

Tatty yet rare '62 Dodge airport limo @ a New Jersey car show this year.

62dodge.jpg

More shots of the surviving '59 Memphian Chrysler in PA:

59chrysler1d.jpg

59chrysler1e.jpg

59chrysler1f.jpg

59chrysler1g.jpg

59chrysler1h.jpg

Thanks for posting more pics of the 59 Memphian Chrysler, it has always been my number one dream coach. I remember seeing this coach in a feature article in a hot rod type mag when I was 16 (1990). I wish I could find that mag again. I remember the owners name was Joe Spiota (sp?).

Photo captures of '58 Plymouth ambulance from DeBaun Funeral Home in Terre Haute, IN.

Courtesy of and permission granted from Curt DeBaun III. This is a car that Curt would like to find and replace for sentimental reasons.

4037381160_b8a61e0a64_b.jpg

3650264347_a119584f03_b.jpg

4037383958_c6db6ee3e1_b.jpg

Here's Curt DeBaun Sr. w/ his new '59 Imperial as a bonus. Love that grill!

3650271607_8a175653a1_b.jpg

I attended this auction and inspected this car closely. It, obviously, started life as a combination as the white paint was flaking off in sheets inside the door jambs exposing black paint. I believe that the ambulance conversion was done long after this car was taken out of service. Prices were insanely high on most of the cars sold that day.

1959 DeSoto Firedome Pinner Ambulance

While browsing the membership list of the WPC Club, I came across this 1959 DeSoto Firedome Pinner Ambulance that is currently being restored by Barrett Taft of Washington State. I contacted Mr. Taft and he was kind enough to forward pictures. I have encouraged him to visit the PCS web site and consider becoming a member.

6818216343_1872602646_b.jpg

6818217245_111731eec1_b.jpg

6818216775_e0b4b67e3a_b.jpg

Wow, another Pinner! And, a 1959 DeSoto at that. Glad to hear and see its being restored. Hoe we can see more of this car when the restoration has been completed. Hope the Pinner brothers have seen this and will soon comment or add more information. Thanks for posting this.

Back