85 vs 92 powertrain fitment

Peter Jennings

PCS Member
Any of you that have followed any of my posts about my '85 Eureka Cadillac Limo style hearse, know about my delema about restored vs resto mod, if you will.
The 4.1 engine in mine is a pos at best, but hey, it still runs. For now!
I have toyed with upgrading to a 5.7. At least this way if I want to see my friend Danny Ryder near Atlanta, I won't have to worry about every Schnieder truck and U-Haul passing me by. Or will be able to enjoy next Daytona meet (some day there will be another, I just know it). And yes, I do have another better running 4.1 available to me, but do I really want it?
Anyways to cut to the chase. Tonight on my way back from a doctors appointment in Jacksonville, I found what appears to be a late 90's Malonney formal limousine with "make offer" on it. Let me be clear, this limo doesn't look to be worth anything other than parts. It does have an intact powertrain and may run once a battery is in it. Don't know anything more right now. Will call number tomorrow sometime.
Question is (I think I know the answer), is this car a viable donor? I would have everything. Complete powertrain, computer, all kinds of what nots that can drive an engine swapper nuts! Anybody else done anything similar?

with time money and ambition anything can be done. now if it was me I would look for a car the same year and do my swap that way. even a 307 would have more go the the rwd 4.1

My bad. In the original post I said the limo in question was a "late 90's". I was very wrong. I should have said very EARLY 90's. About 90-92. A late 90's swap could be very difficult and not sure if a 350 was even available after say 96.
So, that having been said, Ed, I respect you very much. With this better defined info, do you still feel the same?
Guess no one has tried it. Seems straight forward.

now here is the problem the early 90s engine was throttle body fuel injected. so if you have the other car you have the computer and wiring . now there are a lot of people that have played with this set up so I'm sure that there is information on how to wire it when doing a swap. I had a mechanic friend tell me how easy it was (for him). I know painless makes a harness for it also runs around 500 bucks. nothing used in the rwd4100 except possibly the starter wiring would fit. the 5.7. I would look for a older one the 89 collins I had used the 307 with a carburetor standard HEI ignition. a engine- transmission swap with this set up would be a lot easer then a fuel injected one I would think. but with a little experience I do know the 5.7 could be put in especially if you have both cars. lot of people doing that swap in older pickups around here. but if it was me I would look for a different coach. then sell what you have to some one else. that would be a lot less headache.

Back