Jacking Up A Procar

I recently purchased a 1972 C/B Olds 98 ambulance, which I am waiting to receive. I have gotten the impression from this forum that this vehicle weighs around 5500-6000 lbs. I have also gotten the impression that using a standard GM bumper jack for this make/model/year car will likely damage the bumper(s) due to weight. Are there recognized "jacking points" for this vehicle, for instance, the underbody area just behind the front wheel well or just forward of the rear wheel well, like many other vehicles? Can you damage anything only lifting one point, versus lifting the front evenly, etc.

My mechanic is concerned about the weight as well, as he wants to confirm that his lift is rated high enough to accommodate my ambulance.

Thanks in advance.

Jack

The chassis frame rail on a C/B coach is a extremely well built box section that they used on the long wheel base coaches and ambulances . You can pick up a scissors type commercial jack or a aluminum small rolling jack. The bumper jack might work but I have never tried that in practice on either my 65 or 72. The lift I use is a 9000 lb long wheel base drive on type lift. The a arm type lifts will pick one up but if you can use a drive on type lift you can not go wrong with this type. They best place I have found is to jack it up on the frame rail front and rear right where the frame starts to kick in.

Attachments

• DSC07916.jpg
    DSC07916.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 324
  • DSC07719.jpg
    DSC07719.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 313
  • DSC05843.jpg
    DSC05843.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 324
Cars fall off of lifts all the time, because the people that are setting the arms don't know what they are doing. In the front of ever manufacturers service manual, there are recommended jacking locations, depending on the type of frame or unibody construction of the vehicle. These all fall into a general pattern, that if the person using the lift has any amount of common sense, will see this pattern, and learn how to jack up the vehicle.
As for the Oldsmobile in this discussion, it has a full perimeter frame, so lifting it would be the same as any other full perimeter frame. Also, the weight of the Oldsmobile commercial car shouldn't be a problem for any commercial facility lift. Most lifts start at 4.5 ton, (9000#), and the lift that is pictured by Dan Scully handles all his commercial chassis cars. I have the same lift, and it handles my all my cars as well. Lifts are tested at a minimum of 200% of their stated capacity, in order to be certified.
I use a ton and a half Hein Werner floor jack to lift my 1969 Miller Meteor Cadillac Ambulance, and I can lift the differential high enough to remove both tires. Placement of the lifting points is the most important thing to know. Never lift on the body, always on the frame, and you will not have problems.

I don't recommend jacking on the differential, you can bend or crack your axle housings. If need be, jack on the support where the shock mounts on the axle tube or on the plate for your leif springs. These cars are heavy and never work on your car only supported by the jack, jack stands are cheap and will help protect you and your car. Don't use jackstands in dirt or on asphalt, they can sink or shift and fail. Always error on the side of safety.

C/B split the frame were it turned to run down the out side rail front and rear. then re welded in a stout outer rail and added a cross member. they are a much better frame the the Cadillac commercial frame is. the jack points are the same as any car, behind the front wheel ahead of the rear. my 72 ran 5300 lb with a 1/4 tank of gas and me and the dog. but as for the bumper jack. think a bit with the 45 in or so stretch of it you would need a 6 ft jack to get that rear wheel off the ground. as it is the 98 is right at the top with the stock jack before that coil lifts the wheel off. every one has there list of do and don't do. but I have found you treat them like a car and they respond the same way.

Back