1973 Lifeliner Light Question.....

James Fischer

PCS Member
After looking at Richard Vyse's AWESOME 1973 Lifeliner in the picture gallery
I was intrigued by the spot- lights mounted on the doors......So I contacted Mr. Vyse about them and he discribed them to me but did not know who the manufacturer or distributor might be.....
They are 2 sided and have a RED spot on one side and a CLEAR spot on the other......
I have seen these before on a Police car in Arizona while I was on a trip....and have always wondered just exactly what they are..?? Does anyone have any ideas or thoughts ???
Thank you in advance for any information.....

2 sided spotlights

After looking at Richard Vyse's AWESOME 1973 Lifeliner in the picture gallery
I was intrigued by the spot- lights mounted on the doors......So I contacted Mr. Vyse about them and he discribed them to me but did not know who the manufacturer or distributor might be.....
They are 2 sided and have a RED spot on one side and a CLEAR spot on the other......
I have seen these before on a Police car in Arizona while I was on a trip....and have always wondered just exactly what they are..?? Does anyone have any ideas or thoughts ???
Thank you in advance for any information.....

They are made by Unity mfg Chicago Ill. These spotlights can be used as a Spotlight. a Flashing red or blue light. or flashing and a spotlight at the same time

Russ

So I contacted Mr. Vyse about them and he discribed them to me but did not know who the manufacturer or distributor might be...

These are Unity #10300 spotlights. Fairly common back in the day, they were also available (using different model numbers) in spotlight/flasher, flasher/flasher, spotlight/mirror, and flasher/mirror combinations.

Here are two reputable sources for these (and similar) lights:

http://www.greatlakesfirestore.com/?p=984

http://www.sirenman.com/beacons/bsales.html

Attachments

• Unity 10300.jpg
    Unity 10300.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:
These lights are no longer available from Unity, since they didn't meet some Federal standard. They were discontinued a number of years ago, however, they are commonly found in various conditions from poor to new old stock on eBay. The better the quality, the higher the price. Also, the heads can be installed on any Unity Spotlight head mounting assembly, so if the one that you buy has the wrong length shaft, you can just move the head to the correct shaft length.

I got Lucky

I found two identical lights still in the box at a car show in Delaware. I paid $50 for the two of them. Keep searching and you can still find a few out there.

lane

I found two identical lights still in the box at a car show in Delaware. I paid $50 for the two of them. Keep searching and you can still find a few out there.

lane

I will give you a profit if you want to sell them....... Paul

Not in CA

These are Unity #10300 spotlights. Fairly common back in the day, they were also available (using different model numbers) in spotlight/flasher, flasher/flasher, spotlight/mirror, and flasher/mirror combinations.

Here are two reputable sources for these (and similar) lights:

http://www.greatlakesfirestore.com/?p=984

http://www.sirenman.com/beacons/bsales.html

FYI.... I don't recall seeing this type light on any official emergency vehicle in CA. I believe they were too small or not bright enough, both issues monitored and certified by the CA-CHP back then and still now. MM

Minimal light output combined with the mode switch outside on the head and the on/off switch on the handle combined with random positioning made for a not so practical warning light. I always thought the were cool but the one fire engine I drove that had them I found out how stupid they could be.

Minimal light output combined with the mode switch outside on the head and the on/off switch on the handle combined with random positioning made for a not so practical warning light. I always thought the were cool but the one fire engine I drove that had them I found out how stupid they could be.

my thought on them. I think I have a pair of heads here to. they use the standard 1156 bulb it was always corroded the switch never would work after the first time you turned them on. it was a two way with off one side flashed if the flasher wasn't drowned out or so corroded that it did not make contact the other was steady red. with again the same set of problems. they were junk when new and did not get better with age. but some people really liked them.

These had three-way switches under the head that allowed the following functions:

Spotlight only
Flasher and spotlight
Flasher only

The on-off switch was in the normal position on the handle.

yes thanks for jogging my memory on how they should work. the big thing I remember was you would work for half a day cleaning all the connections and contacts only to wash the rig and have nothing work the next day. the combination of switches, the handle being the main power to run the other switch were a guessing game as to witch switch was in witch position all the time. or witch switch was not making contact to let power threw in witch position. we finally wired ours directly to the spot and used the switch on the inside to turn that on and off.

they were one of those things that look neat. work good good on paper but have no practical use. mainly do to cheap components that were not weatherproof

Back