1974 Oldsmobile C/B ambulance

I believe this seller was at the St Thomas fire muster 3 years ago,tried to get him to join the club ,not interested and was gone when I came back with info.at that time I think he had a Pontiac ambulance,so now will try to track him down and try to sign him up.

It looks nice, but there are a couple of other things besides the Superior bullet lights that seem funny to me. I suspect this is a combo, not an ambulance. And why would you picture an ambulance that you are trying to sell,with a Coca Cola cooler and a beverage can in the console. I don't know if anybody shares my thoughts, or am I alone on this?

Unfortunately, not very desireable as an ambulance and worthless to anyone interested in hearses. He would have been money ahead had he just left it alone!

From the ad:

"It under went a complete restoration to it's old glory days of when it was used to save lives."

Complete, positive, absolute, 100% lie...I'll never figure these people out.

so good look at the pictures shows it use to be white. and some one did a repaint. the restoration pictures shows them redoing the door jams after the car has been completed. so I would guess the open the doors and blow a little paint was not all that successful.

but all in all there was a lot of good money wasted on converting this car. it would have been worth just as much redoing the straight hearse.

then when they did do the conversion why not do it period correct? I'm not dead on when 911 became the norm but I know it was not 1974.

then to put in the split bench out of a caddy and one over stuff jump seat?

you can see the money spend and the though proses but why still comes to mind.

they would do this, convert a extra hearse to a ambulance Chug Water is the best example that comes to mind. but do it at least period correct.

every time you look at the posted pictures is like a game of spot the difference in the paper. so what is different in these two shots.

Attachments

• 1974 1.JPG
    1974 1.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 151
  • 1974 2.JPG
    1974 2.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 146
cabinet is different and what's with the fire helmet,me thinks he is not looking our way for a sale but rather trying to coax a ghostbuster wannabe:confused:

Besides everything else incorrect about this "restoration" (people really need to learn what that word means), is that gold metal flake I see in the red paint? Yeah, pretty sure that was not a factory option either.

It also looks like there is some kind of cabinet or shelf attached to the right side wall area. Nothing like that from the factory. And there is no forward-facing jump seat.

I assume that he (or someone) wanted something they couldn't get (an ambulance), and decided to make one themselves.

To answer Ed's comment, yes, the Chugwater ambulance (converted from a hearse) we saw at Denver was much the same, though it was done to actually BE an ambulance by an ambulance provider. While that does make it an interesting piece of history in it's own right, it, too, is not "original".

the 59 caddy hearse known as Chugwater was converter to a ambulance by a body shop in Chugwater,Wy. it was converted to fill a need. but no matter how will it was done you are correct it is a conversion. as were a number of combos. lights attached to the body and painted in traditional ambulance colors. still conversions.

the point I was trying to get across was they are done period correctly. had this one been done the same it would have been a excitable conversion. a example of how one car was converted from one porpoise to another as the need arose. then as I told another member you state the Hx of the car as it is. a hearse converted to a ambulance or a combo converted as a ambulance is a executable car done correctly and stated that it is a conversion. no different then your station wagon conversions.
factory built and sold as ambulances are just that ambulances, such as the Studebakers and Ramblers

the horse is when you play hide the ball and try to pass on off as something it is not.

Back