Pro-Car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first one is actually a home made vehicle that was used at fire musters in races. Each dept would have a vehicle similar to this one and would compete against each in different categories and competetions.

I'm not sure of the Crosley. Never sen one of thoso before.

A bit off subject here, but the Crosley has a buy-it-now price of $9,500 and there's NO title! What is it nowdays with all these old cars surfacing lately... people wanting big money for them & don't even have a title? Here in Ohio you're dead meat if you think you're going to score a title, none of the classic car title companies will even sell one to you & the state is impossible to get a new one issued. Dad has a 1940 Ford Convertible & has been in battles with the state for 2 years now on a title... & he has all the necessary paperwork & proof he bought the car to settle the estate of a deceased car collector. To me a title is the most critical piece of any classic car, it's physical proof of ownership.

Titles

Dwayne:

I agree and have noticed the same thing. Here in CA if a vehicle is over (25) years old and is "not in the system", you can do a Title and Registration without much other proof other than a VIN Verification done by them or your friendly CHP Officer (when) he is in a good mood. For really messed up titles from and in other states, I understand (2nd hand) www.broadwaytitle.com is a good place to deal with?

On the Buick.... like Brady said not a "pro-car" by PCS definations.... it's "conversion" to a fire muster unit looks to be done well (and expensive) by a professional shop as others I seen built on older Cadillac's, Packard's, V-12 Lincolns, Rocket-88 Oldsmobiles etc that were known to be QUICK for hose lay and other muster competitions. MM

Many states are no longer accepting the paper work from Broadway Title any longer. I know that in CT, they will accept a registration from the previous owners state as proof of ownership, and CT has never issued a title for any vehicle older than 10 years. MA was not a title state until about 20 years ago, and now they require a title on everything. NJ has been a title state almost since the beginning of cars. They have the records, but trying to access them is a problem. I lost the title to my 1962 Chevrolet, which has a NJ title, and when I requested a replacement, they said it was "out of file". I had a friend that worked for a dealership make the same request, and he got a replacement title in less than 10 minutes. It all depends on who is working. If they don't want to put any effort into getting the information out of the computer, then you are SOL. My 1963 Chrysler has never had a title, since NY was not a title state when it was sold in 1963, and they didn't get one to sell it in 1988. It came to CT and was transfered on a registration form from NY and CT didn't issue a title since it was over 10 years old. The only proof that I own it is my bill of sale from the previous owner, and my registration papers.

Mike,
It would be nice to live in a more leanient state than Ohio for titles like you do. I contacted Broadway Title & a couple others on a 1960 Caddy landau hearse i was trying to buy years ago with no title.... and I quote: "Where are you calling from sir?" I said "Ohio". That was followed by "We sell to 49 of the 50 states & Ohio ISN'T one of them... good day" CLICK. Now for an out-of-state title they are no problem, just has to be state inspected at almost any dealership or any DMV & all they do is verify the VIN# on the car matches the title. Now "Home Assembled" titles... they are murder to get. Salvage titles are almost as much fun. I keep trying to get dad to go through someone out-of-state in a more leanient state to apply for a title, then sign it over to him & just get it state inspected. That way he doesn't disturb the original VIN# on the frame & the title matches. However he insists on going through his attorney, the deceased collector's estate attorney, & an Ohio State Highway Patrol vehicle inspector who feels his pain & knows it's legit on the '40 convertible.
Paul, i've heard that too that alot of states are onto collector car title companies & won't accept their titles anymore. It was only a matter of time! Title laws vary from state to state so we all have to be careful & know the system inside & out. On a side note, the DMV workers here in town at both the license dept. & title dept. know me well so it's usually a breeze when I go in. Now their inspection division is there too, so when you take a car in for inspection on a home assembled title or salvage title (a wrecked car that's been repaired) that area is TOP SECRET & your vehicle is taken inside, put on a lift, & you are not allowed to see anything or even be near the overhead doors when your car comes in or out!

It's a car based fire truck so would this be considered a Pro-Car? This is here for discussion not me listing this for eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Buic...db1QQitemZ180364070321QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucks
This used to be a professional car - a Flxible, to be exact. Now it has "lost it's historic value", at least as a pro-car.

That said, it's interesting from the point of view of old fire muster competition vehicles. The state musters in New York were very competitive - I remember as a kid watching them on TV on "ABC's Wide World of Sports"!

This used to be a professional car - a Flxible, to be exact. Now it has "lost it's historic value", at least as a pro-car.

That said, it's interesting from the point of view of old fire muster competition vehicles. The state musters in New York were very competitive - I remember as a kid watching them on TV on "ABC's Wide World of Sports"!

Did you witness "the agony of defeat"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back