Beacon light replacement

I'm trying to remove a Federal 175 Hill light and replace with a model 184, is this a much bigger job than I think it will be? I'm new at this, how does the old light come off and new one go on? Looking in the zipper access, looks like 3 toggle bolts but they don't move.

There are 3 screws in the chrome skirt of the light. Remove them and lift the skirt straight up. On top of the light base you should find 3 nuts (7/16's) use a wrench to remove them. Use a screw driver to loosen the power wire.The light should now be free. Pick it straight up and off the car. If you need to remove the toggle bolts, there will be 3 more nuts down against the roof of the car. Remove them and the bolts should fall through into the passenger compartment.

I'm not positive, but I do believe the 184 has the same bolt pattern as all other Federal Beacons.

Straight and simple, down and dirty, there it is!!! Have fun!!!

you are right all the same bolt pattern. the 1/4 20 studs will have to be trimmed or extended for the 185 depending on the skirt. but the bolt pattern is the same. they use the toggle type bolts so everything could be assembled from the top by one man. don't remove them if you don't half to. as they don't leak now.

All the Federal beacons use the same 3 stud pattern. The 184 uses shorter studs, unless it is a speaker like, or has the high skirt option.

I have shared this before but here it is again. print it out full page and it's ready to use. the only difference in any one off the federal lights is the top plate bulb holder. you can make anyone of the styles of lights out of pieces of the others is you have the top bulb holder you want. for the bubble gum lights that is. the 11s and 14 are destined for different mounts as the cj5 are made for a flat bottom mount like a visa bar.

Attachments

• federal mount template 17,173,184.jpg
    federal mount template 17,173,184.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 180
Back