Antique VIN help

Jonathan Murphy

PCS Member
Is there a website out there (like carfax) that will take a VIN on an older model car? Most websites require a 14 character VIN while the car I am looking for has a 9 character VIN. Thanks

I know for 67-79 FoMoCo there's Mari Auto in Arizona, I believe that there is a database for Pontiacs but outside of those two I'm not sure. Any year/model in particular you're referencing?

Unless you know someone in the DMV, it is next to impossible to find any car in the records, because of all the privacy laws that have been enacted in the last 10 years. I know of no database that will give you any information. I have been told that law enforcement can do a 50 state check of a vehicle identification number, but I doubt that any law enforcement officer would risk his job looking for your car. Those type of searches are usually only done on high profile cases. Now, if your car was used in a murder, then it could possibly be found quickly with the resources that government now has. As a last ditch effort, you might try Penelope Garcia...

instaVIN reports provide the most critical information about a vehicle including; Title data from 38 states participating with the Government's NMVTIS program, junk, salvage and insurance total loss data from all 50 states, odometer, VIN decode, vehicle value data and accident data from select DMV's and other sources. Not all accident data is available to instaVIN and therefore may not be present in each report.
instaVIN Vehicle History & Title Reports do not report the following information:
* Owner information such as name and address
* Lien data on the vehicle
* Historic service records

All this for only $6.99

Back