WANTED: Superior coach, cash in-hand

One difference is it has curved windows on the rear corners

Sovereign has no corner glass and a smaller rear glass , Royale has the larger rear glass and corner glass.

Attachments

• DSC01388.jpg
    DSC01388.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 271
A couple more things you may need...

When I brought my car from the US to Canada, I had to get a temporary license in the US for the ONE mile trip to the US/Canada border, a temporary license for the trip from the border to my garage in Brockville, and a rider on my insurance policy to cover the car on it's little journey. My normal insurer will not insure the car, so I had to go the Collector route (silver wheel plan).
State Farm would not even look at me without me switching all my insurances to them by the way......so that was a like...umm...NO. I just wanted to cover all bases and not get pulled over or anything.

Dave

I seem to recall a post here a year ago about somebody importing a procar to Australia. In this instance it had to be power washed and inspected for foreign substances. To the best of my knowledge, this hasn't happened for vehicles either being exported from Canada to the U.S. or vise versa.

That was me that sold the 1951 Superior to a guy in Australia. He went through a broker & the broker handled all the paperwork, transport, & details.

When I visited the U.S. customs site it was very much the same as you're describing... talking about power washing the chassis, duty fees, etc. just to get it into the U.S. & it was confusing. I'm going to follow everyone's advice here & really do some homework on this so it all goes smooth if the blue Superior is bought. Thanks everyone for all the help so far!

Was on the phone with the DMV, customs, & the U.S. dept. of transportation ALL morning today & think this mess is all sorted out. The Ohio DMV said i'd only need a Canadian title & a "declaration form #HS-7" for a title transfer, along with a state inspection only verifying the VIN number. It looks like i'm buying the '68 Superior from Scott in Canada.

Since the coach is over 25 years old & was originally built in the U.S. the DOT said to check "box #1" which makes it exempt from ALL the emissions & safety crap (thank goodness, this form looks like a divorce decree) and there's only two things i'm in question of on the form. It only asks for PORT OF ENTRY, CUSTOMS PORT CODE (what's that?), CUSTOMS ENTRY NUMBER (how do I get this number?), ENTRY DATE, and then the VIN# make & model of the car. The rest of the form is jibberish about emissions, registered importer info, blah blah blah.

If we make a sale i'm concerned of the customs port code & customs entry number. They don't give any of that info when you cross the border. They ask alot of questions & check I.D. but don't offer that info. Maybe i'm just worrying too much about it all BUT this needs to go smoothly when I go for the title transfer. If Scott asks for this information they might not let him pass. Both the DMV and the USDOT said this is 100% legal but offer no opinions on how to gain the info I may need.

Guess i'll just go to the title office & ask them exactly what they expect to be filled out on this form. Uugghhh this is confusing!

To get either of these numbers, either Scott or you is going to have to declare this vehicle at the border. My suggestion would be for you to bring it across yourself. Since you've already found out that the import process is easy, you're not gaining anything by "sneaking" it across. Just my opinion.

To get either of these numbers, either Scott or you is going to have to declare this vehicle at the border. My suggestion would be for you to bring it across yourself. Since you've already found out that the import process is easy, you're not gaining anything by "sneaking" it across. Just my opinion.

It doesn't look like he mentioned it here, but I think the other issue with him bringing it across himself is that he doesn't have a current passport, so he could get in but not out. Not the biggest obstacle in the world, but just another thing that would take extra time to resolve.

You can apply for expedited service at the Post Office for a passport. Depending on your background check, is what it usually depends on. I made my application on a Monday, got the birth certificate back on Thursday, and had my passport the following Tuesday....... and that wasn't with expedited service. Just depends on how busy they are, and how much they know about you beforehand.

Port of Entry is where it comes across the border and port code is their unique code for that port. See http://www.portcodes.com/
Imagine if you were doing this from Australia and trying to drive a 69 Ambulance across the border then shipping it out of the country.

Last edited:

I've found NOTHING easy about doing this at the border Kerry, no offense intended. Quoted from the U.S. border crossings website:
For Queenston/Lewiston crossing
This is the only crossing on the Niagara River (between Ontario and New York) that can process both exports to the US and imports to Canada. The US side only processes cars Monday to Friday up to 4:00 P.M. local time.
This is where Scott wants to enter & i'm not going to argue with the man because he's delivering it this far out of kindness and for that i'm very grateful.

I'm not trying to "sneak" anything in. Whatever fees, paperwork & taxes that occur will be legal & paid. With Ohio having the most strict title laws in the U.S. i'd never dream of doing anything illegal with any car. I don't have a passport, can't possibly get a weekday off from work (neither can Scott), and there's no way to declare this car on a Saturday. Visiting the title office in the morning to ask them in person exactly what they expect to be handed to them to process this coach for an Ohio title.

Thanks to everyone for all the support with this so far! Will keep you all informed of the progress, we're shooting for next Saturday 6/26 to make this happen.

Sweetness! Just visited the DMV and they have a paper to give Ohio residents that states "The requirements at title issuance are according to personal circumstance". They said that in this case I need to present a bill of sale, a surrendered foreign license registration, a sworn statement as to port of entry, The Canada title, and an Ohio VIN # verification. Don't even need the HS-7 form!

Can't wait to get this coach home guys!
IMG_0607.jpg

That MUD FLAP is the FIRST thing to go!!!

Dwayne: I dont know if the process is the same (in bringing the car across the border) going FROM Canada TO the US as it is it FROM the US TO Canada but you might PM Bill Leverett since he recently brought a US car into Canada. He might be able to give you some insight.

Last edited:
Dwayne, I guess Ï could have used a different word than "sneaking" it across. That was a poor choice of words. I certainly wasn't implying that you were intentionally planning on doing anything illegal. My concern was that you were going to end up at the Ohio DMV on Monday morning trying to explain why these two boxes were left blank. I know they can send people on their way if every box isn't filled out.
I still maintain that the actual import process is easy. The fact that you can't get time off, don't have a passport or the import hours are limited really have nothing to do with the actual process. It sounds like you've been able to find a way around these obstacles, so that's the main thing. Hope everything goes smoothly. Looks like a great vehicle. Keep us posted.

Kerry

Dwayne, I guess Ï could have used a different word than "sneaking" it across. That was a poor choice of words. I certainly wasn't implying that you were intentionally planning on doing anything illegal. My concern was that you were going to end up at the Ohio DMV on Monday morning trying to explain why these two boxes were left blank. I know they can send people on their way if every box isn't filled out.
I still maintain that the actual import process is easy. The fact that you can't get time off, don't have a passport or the import hours are limited really have nothing to do with the actual process. It sounds like you've been able to find a way around these obstacles, so that's the main thing. Hope everything goes smoothly. Looks like a great vehicle. Keep us posted.

Kerry

Thank you Kerry I was just trying to explain that being so close to Canada to begin with I guess they take it a little easier on us. No worries bud Your points are well taken. I've seen alot of Canadian rods sell on-the-spot at shows and wondered how they handled that, so I knew there was a legal way or else they wouldn't take possession right there. This has been a fun thread because it helps us all learn just in case ANY of us do this in the future.

The funny thing is how they phrased it on an official document that this is handled on a "case by case basis" depending on what documentation you may be able to provide. It was great to talk with them about it all & be in agreement beforehand as to what to bring into the office! Try doing THAT in Columbus... they bite your head off if you hand them the paperwork in an envelope, they will say "I didn't ASK for the envelope, I asked for the PAPERWORK!" and it gets WORSE from there. Small town America is great. Stay tuned...

Dwayne would not sneak a coach into the US I know that, now the guns, coccaine and illegal aliens that are in the car, now that is a different story. :yum:

VERY funny Ron! Hey... I helped you get your '64 so you'll be coming with me next saturday to New York to get this '68? They'll never find any of that stuff with "Chief Ron" along for the ride! :yum:

VERY funny Ron! Hey... I helped you get your '64 so you'll be coming with me next saturday to New York to get this '68? They'll never find any of that stuff with "Chief Ron" along for the ride! :yum:

Just a Briefcase Filled with MONEY $$$$$ LOL
PS Ron are the Nameplates Installed Yet.

Russ

Just a Briefcase Filled with MONEY $$$$$ LOL
PS Ron are the Nameplates Installed Yet.

Russ

That reminds me, I need to see how my 64 is coming we needed to do some modifications on the name plate brackets as this car has the holes for posts on the actual nameplates rather than brackets so we were putting posts on the brackets. Some authenticity judge will probably nix me points because that isn't how it was back then. Of course I could suction cup em!:festive: Anyways yes Dwayne you have to have a briefcase full of cash with your name plates in the brief case as well. "It's the politics of contraband, it's the smuggler's blues".

Back