Abe moving to Des Moines IA

Abe Bush

PCS Member
Hello everyone, this afternoon I accepted a job transfer with my employer, Wells Fargo, to Des Moines, IA. I have driven through the outskirts of Des Moines a couple times in my life but other than that I have NO knowledge of Des Moines, other than that's where Capital City Ambulance Service was (or is?) :)

My new job starts on October 21, a little over 2 weeks from now. Because I am so unfamiliar with the area, and know virtually nothing about the city other than that which is common knowledge, I would like a room mate until I become somewhat familiar with the city, determine what areas of town are nice, etc.

If anyone knows of someone who might be looking for a room mate in Des Moines, please feel free to PM me. In the meantime I will be checking out Craigslist, roomates.com , etc.

I am single, have no kids, and will probably be giving my beloved cat to someone who can give her a good home down here in Florida.

But I'm on a super tight budget, and figured this will be a really good way to live cheaper than leasing an apartment in an unfamiliar city for awhile.

Thanks for any information you may know of!

Abe

Hello everyone, this afternoon I accepted a job transfer with my employer, Wells Fargo, to Des Moines, IA. I have driven through the outskirts of Des Moines a couple times in my life but other than that I have NO knowledge of Des Moines, other than that's where Capital City Ambulance Service was (or is?) :)

My new job starts on October 21, a little over 2 weeks from now. Because I am so unfamiliar with the area, and know virtually nothing about the city other than that which is common knowledge, I would like a room mate until I become somewhat familiar with the city, determine what areas of town are nice, etc.

If anyone knows of someone who might be looking for a room mate in Des Moines, please feel free to PM me. In the meantime I will be checking out Craigslist, roomates.com , etc.

I am single, have no kids, and will probably be giving my beloved cat to someone who can give her a good home down here in Florida.

But I'm on a super tight budget, and figured this will be a really good way to live cheaper than leasing an apartment in an unfamiliar city for awhile.

Thanks for any information you may know of!

Abe

I've been to Des Moines maybe 4-5 years ago chasing a very pretty low-miles yellow 75 Caprice convertible. My only observation: it's too damned cold in the winter. A boy from Tampa better pack warm. Good luck.

Attachments

• caprice.jpg
    caprice.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 299
Last edited:
I've been to Des Moines maybe 4-5 years ago chasing a very pretty low-miles yellow 75 Caprice convertible. My only observation: it's too friggin cold in the winter. A boy from Tampa better pack warm. Good luck.

Thank you Mike, I'm originally from Northern Illinois (very close to Sterling/Rock Falls IL) so I'm pretty used to those darn cold winters! At least there will be no more mowing the lawn in the dead of winter!!! :D

I actually MISS the seasons, and cannot wait for spring storm chasing again! We get lots of thunderstorms down here, but nothing like they get in the Midwest!

buy you a snow shovel you may be needing it on the 21. nice to see you back up were you belong it will not take long to loose the moss that been growing under your arms down there.

Abe

I stopped for dinner in Des Moines a couple years ago when going to look at a car in Nebraska.

Bigger city than most in that area where there is about 5 hours straight across of nothing but corn fields !

The girl at Olive Garden asked where I was going ( as we chatted for about 10 minutes after I finished eating ) as she knew I was from Toronto.
I told her I was going to Nebraska.

She said, "WHY ARE YOU GOING TO NEBRASKA ?!" I said, to look at a car.
She said, "well, that is about all you are going to be able to do in Nebraska.
Nothing happens in Nebraska !"

I guess you will have something to do in Des Moines.
Other PCS people are there too.

By the way, she watched a TV house renovating show from Toronto.
Small world eh !

All the best with your move,
Darren

Welcome to Iowa!

Abe,
I live in Council Bluffs, IA, which is right at 2 hours west of Des Moines on the IA/NE state line(suburban Omaha). I am extremely familiar with Des Moines as I am with all of Iowa as I travel weekly in my sales position. I actually prefer Des Moines over the Omaha metropolitan area. I am usually in Des Moines a couple of times each month and usually stay in town. We can meet up for dinner and I can tell you whatever you want to know about the city. PM me when you get a chance and I will give you my contact info.

what!

sunny florida, beaches, fishing, no salt on roads, no ice storms, girls in bikini's, no closed roads, no xtra tires for the ice, no chains, low tax rate, did i mention girls in bikini's. yeah, i'd look forward to ice and cold and lets not forget, SNOW. i hate snow except in pictures. but i do admit that 12 months of good weather can be a deal buster when you have a project as there is no excuse for not working on it cause where else ya gonna go..good luck Abe, just pulling your chain a little. hope all goes well...

I've lived in the Iowa, Nebraska, and Minnesota my entire life and I have never ran snow tires or chains on a car. I will take Spring, Summer, and Fall in the upper Midwest over those 3 seasons in Florida any day!

buy you a snow shovel you may be needing it on the 21. nice to see you back up were you belong it will not take long to loose the moss that been growing under your arms down there.

Thank you Ed, I'll tell you what seeing your pics yesterday from your trip you took in your '92 and seeing all the fall colors starting to come in really REALLY got me excited to get back up into the Midwest again! And I saw those before I even got the call offering me the job! I can't wait to connect with some of the PCSers in the midwest!

sunny florida, beaches, fishing, no salt on roads, no ice storms, girls in bikini's, no closed roads, no xtra tires for the ice, no chains, low tax rate, did i mention girls in bikini's. yeah, i'd look forward to ice and cold and lets not forget, SNOW. i hate snow except in pictures. but i do admit that 12 months of good weather can be a deal buster when you have a project as there is no excuse for not working on it cause where else ya gonna go..good luck Abe, just pulling your chain a little. hope all goes well...

I will definitely miss the scenery down here Kyle, but to be honest I have always missed the scenery from up North. I'm used to snow and cold weather as I've lived up there most of my life. Not saying I'm looking forward to scraping my windshield every day in the winter time, but it will be really nice to have seasons again.

Abe, let us know when you get settled in. I live about an hour and half away and try to make it there about once a month or so..Got to eat at Zombieburger!

i hate snow

well abe, ive lived in Kansas and Colorado and Tennessee and visited a lot more but like Dorothy said, theres no place like home. good luck...

It's official, I rented an apartment in Adel Iowa (a Des Moines suburb) sight unseen, and a upack cube which will be shipping all my belongings up to Iowa, and will be driving up this Friday!

Welcome to Iowa! I hope you packed long johns. The older I get the more I hate Iowa winters, wish I could afford to be a snow bird. I hadn't realized how much Des Moines has grown over the years. When I was a kid visiting cousins in Adel it was not a suburb of Des Moines, it was a nice little town all on its own. But I think you'll like it there!

Welcome to Iowa! I hope you packed long johns. The older I get the more I hate Iowa winters, wish I could afford to be a snow bird. I hadn't realized how much Des Moines has grown over the years. When I was a kid visiting cousins in Adel it was not a suburb of Des Moines, it was a nice little town all on its own. But I think you'll like it there!

It was 85 degrees every day when I left Tampa, and have been treated to frost on my windshield nearly every morning this week. So far the change from 85 to 30s at night has been BRUTAL! And everyone just laughs at me when I tell them I cannot handle this cold. I'm just thankful for the skywalks downtown that go from the parking ramp to the office!

Regarding Adel, it is literally like stepping back in time. It truly has a Mayberry feel to it, down to the courthouse on the town square and brick streets. Adel is the most picturesque, quaint, sweet little town and I am literally amazed at how friendly and kind Iowans are. I started my new job on Monday, and not one person has honked when I got lost downtown and made unannounced lane changes trying to get where I need to be, no one has yelled or flipped me off, and people regularly let me in or patiently wait while I flounder about trying to find my correct turn into the parking ramps. I am completely amazed! Iowans are the kindest, nicest people!

All my new co workers have warmly welcomed me to their state, and I am flabbergasted how people are genuinely nice to each other around here, and care about others. I am so used to the complete opposite down in Tampa. Not that people are mean down there because they're not at all. But, an example is in Tampa if you have a flat tire or need any kind of assistance when you're driving, you just pull over and use your cell phone to call roadside assistance and wait for someone to show up. Around here, anytime I've observed someone pulled over with their hazard lights on, someone is almost always pulled in behind them to help them out. I'm guessing people are just used to being neighborly around here and it is an amazing experience so far.

I'm very glad to be here, and thanks for the warm welcome Julie! And welcome to our site and welcome back to the PCS!!!!

Wow! I forgot all about the brick streets, I loved those when I was a kid. I haven't been there in years since the family is all gone now. And the court house is a beautiful building, I love that kind of architecture. I knew you'd like it there. In the rural areas like where I am if something happens to a farmer and he can't get his crops done the neighbors all show up with tractors and combines and have at it and the women feed everybody. I've always thought that was a pretty cool thing to do. I guess for the most part Iowans are a kindly, generous lot. Stay warm Abe!

the move from hot and damp to cold and damp is a change but next year you won't even think about it. as for the not honking and being patient with you. come on now. not a lot of excitement in town. you are a souse of amusement to them. one you don't have to pay to see. but it is nice to be around people that will help strangers out. it also nice to not have people give you that "what you after" look when you offer. I look at that picture Richard posted of Bills new car and just shutter. full flag flying in a stiff breeze off the water. overcast sky and all. I only say man I'm glad I'm not there.

you remember to buy your snow brush yet??

Back